View Single Post
Old May 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Very thankful for this thread!

I'm perpetually interested in what may be going on with Noriko Matsueda. The best info on what happened comes from SEMO, specifically:

Quote:
Despite the hostile response to the album, it was a financial success, especially given its low budget, and Matsueda won fame as the composer of most of its setting themes. Matsueda subsequently worked on 2004's acclaimed Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission and her three arrangements of the Final Fantasy X-2 Piano Collection. Written with the intention of leaving a legacy, Matsueda decided to leave the gaming industry immediately afterwards to the distress of her friends Shimomura and Eguchi. Her intensive job brought sleeplessness, loss of appetite, sharp weight decreases, and rough skin and Matsueda found this increasingly affected her with age; the reception towards Final Fantasy X-2 was the last straw. She currently resides in Japan living a relatively quiet life, but continues to listen to and play music as a hobby and actively follows her former colleague's careers. While the circumstances of her departure were unfortunate, she will always remain a cult figure among game music fans for her symphonic, jazz, and electronic contributions to several excellent scores.
(URL for full bio here http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compo...iography.shtml )

That was last updated in 2007.

I'm waiting for the day that Matsueda says "to hell with it, I can be a freelance composer" and she appears on some random Japanese game soundtrack. Sort of like Michiko Naruke's surprising return. Anyone wanna take bets on if/when that happens?

Ramza