View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:08 PM

Act 2: The Soundalikes
NOTE: These are UNOFFICIAL [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

"I read in an interview that he only did 2 tracks [in Sonic 3] and those were only the Round Clear and Game Over themes, which were also used in Sonic 3D Blast. I believe you in a way [about Angel Island Zone], it does sound like his style, but he said himself he did 2 songs, [so] I'm confused." - DihDin
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...%3DsC-d-AM0gCM

"Message to everyone. This [Hydrocity] was not composed by either Michael Jackson nor Howard Drossin. It was allegedly composed by Scirocco and Brad Buxer, according to a couple sites i had checked out....Brad and Ciroco did Hydrocity and Marble Garden" - DihDin
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...ture%3Drelated

-S3 Title = S3 1-Up = S3 Invincibility = S3 All Clear (main theme) = Continue (Sounds like All Clear) = Balloon Park (Same instrument types as Continue)---> = S&K Credits (First part) (Used in the original version of the credits along with S3 All Clear) [See bonus link above]

-Sandopolis Zone (Acts 1 and 2) = The Doomsday Zone--->(Same-sounding bells, bass, and synthesizer used at similar tempo) = Death Egg Zone (Acts 1 and 2)--->(Same synthesizer used in Act 2; very low pitched in Act 1); Act 2 Boss = Final Boss = Chrome Gadget (Same instruments used; instrument for main melody the same for first two, especially during the intro for Final Boss); Special Stage = Desert Palace (Same clarinet sound; similar instrument in Desert Palace found in Final Boss); Angel Island Zone (1 and 2) (Same bass used in Desert Palace - NOT Jun Senoue after all) = Timer/Drowning (Same instruments) [Ambient/Action]

-Marble Garden Zone (Acts 1 and 2) ~ Mushroom Hill Zone (Acts 1 and 2)-->(Similar type of synthesizer used; not sure if its the same and/or the composer is the same); ~ Bonus Stage (Magnetic Orb) = Endless Mine = Chaos Emerald---> same background flute for these three; = Endless Mine---> (same instruments); S&K Act 1 Boss = Flying Battery Zone (Acts 1 and 2)--->(Same instruments and general melody, S&K Act 1 Boss' intro sounds like Endless Mine's); = Sky Sanctuary Zone = Azure Lake (same instruments); Bonus Stage (Magnetic Orb) = Bonus Stage (Gumball Machine) = Bonus Stage (Slot Machine)---> Very light flute in first two and same type of guitar heard/used in last two [Techno/Ambient]

-Lava Reef Zone Act 1 and 2 (Hidden Palace Zone)--->Different style and instruments from others in S&K (little booms in the background that were also used in S&K's Knuckles' Theme and the same drums and guitar between both acts)--> Howard Drossin*

*NOTE: Howard claimed in the interview that he only made "single versions" of each track, meaning that none of his tracks were mixed in such a way that they became, say, two different yet similar versions based on the original that were used for 2 acts of a zone. Lava Reef, however, is the exception because its second act is a completely new composition, with only the melody from the first half or so of the first act remaining in the second act. Therefore, it is quite possible that Drossin did Hidden Palace as well. Furthermore, Drossin is credited under "Sound Special Thanks" in Sonic 3, meaning that he did at least one of the original tracks in Sonic 3's Sound Test; the two acts of Lava Reef, therefore, make the most sense.

Data Select is reused in Sonic Jam, a game where the credits are "Compose & Arrange" and apply to only two people: Masaru Setsumaru and Kenichi Tokoi. Since Kenichi (to the best of my knowledge) joined after the release of Sonic 3, that means that Masaru Setsumaru composed the original Data Select in Sonic 3. Further proof is found in the Sonic World track, where the same instruments as Sonic 3's Data Select are reused and produce almost the same melody.

And so,... this happened
Spoiler:

Michael Jackson with Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, and Doug Grigsby III: Knuckles' Theme (S3), Act 1 Boss (S3), Carnival Night Zone (Acts 1+2), Ice Cap Zone (Acts 1+2), Launch Base Zone (Acts 1+2), Competition Menu, Credits (S3)
Scirocco: Cues for Hydrocity and Marble Garden [MOST LIKELY REPLACED]

Tokuhiko Uwabo (Sound Director/Adviser): Nothing

Sachio Ogawa (Sound Assistant [aka old SE management]): Hydrocity Zone (Acts 1+2)

Yoshiaki Kashima (Sound Assistant [aka old SE management]): Special Stage

Masaru Setsumaru (Sound Programmer [aka new SE]): All Clear (S3), Balloon Park, S&K Staff Roll [first part/lead-in], Title (S&K), Knuckles' Theme (S&K), 1-Up (S&K), Invincibility (S&K), All Clear (S&K)

Tatsuyuki Maeda (Sound Effects): New SE

Tomonori Sawada: Marble Garden Zone (Acts 1+2), Azure Lake, Mushroom Hill Zone (Acts 1+2), Flying Battery Zone (Acts 1+2), Sandopolis Zone (Acts 1+2), Sky Sanctuary Zone, Death Egg Zone (Acts 1+2), S&K Act 1 Boss

Masayuki Nagao: Title (S3), Data Select, Angel Island Zone (Acts 1+2), Act 2 Boss, Final Boss, Invincibility (S3), Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace, Lava Reef Zone Act 1, Lava Reef Zone Act 2/Hidden Palace Zone, The Doomsday Zone

Jun Senoue: Bonus Stage (Gumball Machine), Act Clear, 1-Up (S3), Endless Mine, Game Over, Continue, Bonus Stage (Slot Machine), Bonus Stage (Magnetic Orb)

Yukifumi Makino: Drowning, Chaos Emerald

Howard Drossin: Composition of all 5 S&K-exclusive themes stemming from "Sonic and Knuckles Theme" and "Knucklemania" [all arranged by Setsumaru]

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 6, 2011 at 07:52 PM.