Thread: CD vs. MP3
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
An Wav file is the raw audio data, nothing except the audio information is stored.
Even if you really ment that, it would not be necessarily correct - WAV can contain other data, too, although there are very few if any such WAVs in existence.
But I suspect you meant that WAV is uncompressed PCM. That would not be true at all - WAV can carry just about any compression scheme, lossy or lossless.

Quote:
The reality is Flac > Wav because it can store the file's information in the end of the stream and gives the the same quality as an Wav file and at same time saves space, just like Winrar or Winzip.
Don't forget e.g. error detection. Another huge plus for FLAC and co. (WAV could allow that, too, in theory).

Quote:
And one more thing MP3 is limited to 32Hkz whereas Wave files can go as far as 192Hkz if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken. MP3 can go at least to 48000 Hz, possibly more, and there is no practical limit for WAVs (I mean, 4 GHz can hardly be considered a limit).

Quote:
So as the storage hardware gets cheaper as the MP3 files are becoming more and more useless due to the nature that we do not need it any more. It was good while it lasted but now its over and the MP3 format should be buried.
I agree completely.