View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

After further review, it would probably be best for the "official" boolean to be paired with another bool called "primary", as you will see below. There would be a restriction to allow only one "official primary" title per language as well as only one "unofficial primary" title per language. There can be as many "alternate" (opposite of "primary") titles as you want. Optionally, you could combine both booleans into a single field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Well, I don't need to see queries, because the only reasonable way to migrate is to take our 3 most commonly used title lines and map them directly to 3 of the lines in your proposal, probably [official English, official Japanese, official romanized], unless we want to declare them all unofficial until they are hand-checked.
I think it's safe to say more titles are official than unofficial. It would be easier to go this way. Though if you're worried about inaccuracy, you could always have an extra field boolean for temporary use called "unknown", or something of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I think what would help would be to take a few albums and gives some examples of what would go in each of the proposed title lines.
LC-1713~4
Romaji [official primary]: Akumajo-Dracula Ubawareta kokuin Original Soundtrack
Japanese [official primary]: 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印 オリジナルサウンドトラック
English [unofficial primary]: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Original Soundtrack

SSCX-10018
English [official primary]: CREID
Japanese [official primary]: クリイド
English [official alternate]: CREID Yasunori Mitsuda & Millennial Fair
Japanese [official alternate]: クリイド 光田康典&ミレニアル・フェア
Yasunori's website lists the album title as "CREID", so we know the rest is just the artist, but we have those titles here as "official alternate" for searchability. It's possible we could call them "unofficial", but they are technically on the albums, so it could go either way.

SSCX-10004
English [official primary]: FINAL FANTASY VII ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK
Japanese [official primary]: ファイナルファンタジーⅦ オリジナル・サウンドトラック
English [official alternate]: "FINAL FANTASY VII" Original Sound Track
This is a case where there are two official English titles (compare front with back spine) that are variations of each other. This is where the primary flag comes in handy. Now, if you wanted to alter the titles slightly for capitalization or whatnot, that's OK too.

Keep in mind the ordering of these titles is irrelevant, because it will eventually be based on user preferences.

EDIT: If you have specific albums you'd like to discuss, let me know.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM.