View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:15 AM

Hmm, freedb is nice and all, but I mostly didn't want to make a thread for a possible suggestion and rather just ask here because the freedb is mainly used for updating tags and the like, but generally for albums or any type of mixed cd with a variety of artists to simply tag it as freedb I'm pretty sure is limited to only adding an artist tag (music contribution wise).

I guess I'd like to indirectly ask would it be something staff on VGMdb would consider for an alternate way of tagging albums (since you'd mainly have to export the tags, and since I like .txt, I just use those) and then just write tags from that .txt using something like
Quote:
%artist% ^ %album% ^ %title% ^ %track% ^ %year% ^ %genre% ^ %comment% ^ %publisher% ^ %lyricist% ^ %remixedby%
Pretty easy, as long as it doesn't error like it has in some cases for me.

but I guess Mp3tag sometimes doesn't always work right when I've done it, but I think it's due to there being no tag in that field anyways, but it's something someone could figure out later if it could actually be pushed here, or s o m e thing, anyway. I think I never bothered to see if I understood how to do this with TagScanner correctly, but Mp3tag seems to be a bit famous enough for widespread use, or so.

I guess I'd wonder if it would get considered, if there would simply be a spoiler for the info and just added to the bottom of albums on their page since it's just text you'd paste into a file anyway

Though I'm really just curious on what people would think as when I add an album, I tend to write out all the credits and submit it, and then I go tag it and realize it can take quite a bit of time, especially going one by one (as credits tend to be listed track-by-track which is probably the best because they tend not to contribute to more than a few songs depending on the album, or even if they do it'd be chaotic because of the other credits as well and become messy quickly).

It's just the thought after submitting and then tagging that, "Wow, for people who add the composer/arranged/lyricist(or maybe misc. tags), it'd be great if they didn't have to spend like 15~20 minutes tagging it" if they are like me, bu for people who could care less, it could still be convenient anyway.

I'm just not sure if there is something that already works online already. I remember people using musicbrainz, but I'm not sure which fields it fills in (and I would really only guess it's limited to artist, and maybe composer, but I didn't bother to look this up).

also I became shy thinking I'd have to make a specific suggestion thread somewhere since I didn't seem to find a place a specific suggestion thread

Anyways, thoughts? *prepares for it to be ignores in the long-run*

edit: small edit, but I really like this site for information and credit breakdowns when it's there, so I'd love to see it easier to tag your collection, and what not, especially box-sets which are basically a conglomeration

Last edited by mercenary09; Jan 11, 2011 at 04:21 AM.