View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Hmm, for kimikiss everywhere I've seen it written on the official site has it written in all lower case (and there's one CD with an english title that backs this up.) However, the (official) english manga has it written as "KimiKiss". I'd stick with "kimikiss" myself. Amagami seems to be written in proper case on the official website, so "Amagami" seems like a safe bet.
Something to watch out for, neither title seems to be explicitly transcribed on their respective websites (i.e. written in ASCII) -- so what you're looking at are also potentially stylized images. (I guess Cedille already mentioned that)

What if we use this guideline: Use the title verbatim if it's printed in clearly discernable Latin font (anywhere on the package, priority going to the cover and the obi); if it's a stylized font or logo graphic, use what's closest to an "official" transcription. Even if the album version of the product title differs from the official transcription, we'll still have the product field to compensate for it.

My earlier stance might have given a bit too much emphasis to the product trademark -- after some consideration, I'm now of the view that the album title field is for the album rather than the associated product, so if the album publisher chooses to print the title differently, we'll just go along with it (within the bounds of common sense).

(Just to clarify; the above pertains to albums that don't already have official transcriptions provided by the album publisher)