View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:37 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This is an interesting idea, though I don't have a feeling for what we'd put in the "official" vs "unofficial" branches.
Simply, anything that is printed on the album art or specified by the publisher would be official. All derivations/romanizations of such things that do not appear on the album art or via the publisher are unofficial.

Quote:
The main problem with this isn't technical (tables query, etc.), it's that we have 32,000 albums that we would need to edit and expand to fix into the new system. That migration might have to be done manually. It's a major change, similar to the proposed track-linking system in that it requires simultaneous support of "old vgmdb" and "new vgmdb" until they are all moved over.
I'm sure I could write some crazy queries to do it all systematically. Want me to draft something up?

Quote:
But if we don't do something like that, we still have this core divisive issue.
  1. Standardize Display Title to use Romanized titles using an offiical romanization scheme (maybe Hepburn)
  2. Standardize to favor an English release title where there is one, Romanized if there isn't. Also, translate non-title text like Ongakushu -> Music Collection
  3. No standard (what we are using now)
With my proposition, the display title would be chosen by the user, though there would indeed need to be a default selection. I say we could leave that part up to a vote.

Here's another possible idea for selecting the "display title". Up in the header of the site we could have a language dropbox or some selection of flags. The selection would be stored in a cookie, and allow users who are not logged in to pick a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
It wasn't about kanji or kana, it was about one title vs. another. Multiple entries for a single language would fix it. Not sure what you'd call the different choices though - maybe just Japanese 1 and Japanese 2
Yes, my proposition could allow for multiple official entries for the same language.

In fact, it would be needed anyway, because there are many cases where a game released in North America has a different title from the same game released in Europe, even though they would both be in English.

Though, when I think of it, all of this unofficial album naming based on regionized game titles overlaps with the product system a lot... to the point where the whole notion should either be dropped, or there could be some integration between them.