View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpaOpa View Post
For the above comparison, I think that there are other VG-tunes much more fit for paralleling: for example, Web Spider's theme, or this portion of Silent Prison. But I guess I don't see the point in comparison, there, really, since the part I assume you're referring to is a fairly common min/Major chromaticism. Sorry if this comes off as aggressive.
Those examples have only that chromatic phrase in common with the theme, and that's extremely common. I've heard it all over the place in classical pieces that predate Bond by a long time.

No, the FF example is related to the melody, and they have a good deal in common. This is going to get a bit technical, so bear with me.

Both pieces are in the key of G minor. (G A B-flat C D E-flat F G)

The James Bond melody starts on D (the fifth) and ends on E-natural (the sharpened 6th). The important features are the prominent flatted fifth (D-flat) at the beginning, the minor-to-major B-flat to B natural in the middle, and the use of the sharpened 6th degree at the end (going down).

The Final Fantasy battle theme starts on D and ends on E-natural. It retains the emphasis on the flatted fifth and the sharpened 6th (going up), but removes the minor-to-major switch. What's more, it retains these features at the same relative point in the melody.

Like I said, the most important distinguishing feature is the rhythm. The James Bond theme has "swing", while the FF theme is played straight.