View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
Another example: Dairantou Smash Brothers DX Orchestra Concert, which has arranged tracks of Super Smash Bros. Melee. The composers of old Nintendo games was assigned as featured. But I removed this featured because, in practice, are arrangements of old Nintendo tracks like any other Nintendo arranged album.

When is clear that the composer participated of the album as an arranger, we don't assign as featured. This isn’t accurate in my opinion because if we use rigorously the same criterion that we use on original soundtracks that I mentioned before, the same album should appear twice in the discography of some artists, which I really don't like, with the composer credit on the list of featured works and arranger credit in regular discography. For example, in the Gyakuten Saiban Orchestra Album there are four tracks that Noriyuki Iwadare originally composed for Gyakuten Saiban 3 – three tracks was arranged by Iwadare himself and one by Kaori Komuro.

I would like to restrict the featured option only for:

1 - Doujin albums without the involvement of original composers (in other words, without the license for the IP rights of the compositions)
2 - Classical composers
3 - Licensed music. This include arranged tracks of songs originally composed for another purpose (movies, original work etc.), like covers of mainstream music in Bemani albums or Disney songs in Kingdom Hearts.
I would have to disagree greatly with your treatment of DX Orchestra Concert (and, by extension, other compilation albums). Only Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando should be non-featured composers as they composed [at least] the opening and menu 1 themes, respectively (aka new compositions). Everything else was arranged by either Shogo Sakai, Hirokazu Ando, or Tadashi Ikegami [Takuto Kitsuta's arrangement, Mute City, not being on there, nor an SE collection courtesey of Tadashi Ikegami].
Here's the credits for proof of their duties:
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/ss...its-full.shtml

Everyone else should be featured because their works is, in fact, being showcased through the efforts of the HAL Laboratory music staff. They, themselves, had no part in composing or arranging the music, so they should not be on the same level as Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando.

I think this is an example of number 3, as the many Nintendo composers are letting their work be arranged by HAL, just as Disney let its music be arranged by Squaresoft. This, of course, applies to the other Smash Bros. titles as well.

I also don't think being both active and featured on the same album is a problem; I'm sure it's perfectly possible for an arranger to arrange someone else's compositions (active arranger; light blue) but not arrange their own compositions, instead handled by someone else (featured composer; dark blue) and also not have any new compositions of their own on the album (no other reason for the featured composer to upgrade to active). I believe I've heard of something like that, but I'll have to tell you after I remind myself of what that was.

Got it.

Chiptuned Rockman. On there, Akari Kaida arranges Naoshi's composition (Opening Stage) but not her own (Groundman Stage), which was handled by Hiroki Isogai. Kaida also doesn't have any new compositons of her own on that album. This makes Kaida both a featured composer (through Hiroki) and an active arranger (through herself in arranging Naoshi). Naoshi, then, would only be featured on that album due to not arranging anything himself for the album. Lastly, all of the tracks on Chiptuned Rockman are from old games and are not at all new compositions; it is an arrangement-only album; there is nothing new composed, so all the composers in the field would then be featured. Doujins work exactly the same way, and all the tracks in Smash Bros that aren't original compositions would follow that logic as well.

Hypothetical example:
Say all the music arranged exclusively for Melee and Brawl were each released in CD Sets (Why don't they do it already!?) The same thing happens: no new music, just arrangers. The composers would then all be featured as well unless it was, in fact, the original composer would made the arrangement (ex. Sector 1 by Minako Hamano, Overworld Theme by Koji Kondo, Donkey Kong by Hirokazu Tanaka et al., etc.)

Sorry Revoc, but I think the wrong idea was put in your head today. It was Shogo Sakai after all who did everything involved with Mach Rider (to name an example) in this game, not Akito Akatsuka; they had absolutely no active role in the production. They're just... featured here.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM.