VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's some back-and-forth editing that needs to be discussed and resolved here (Shredder and Blah.)

Looking briefly, I think it boils down to the interpretation of how to credit the artists, and to be honest I'm not sure which way we're leaning.

1.) Arranger: Capcom Sound Team vs. Alfh Lyra wa Lyra

Note that both of these are aliases of the same artist. I'd go with Capcom Sound Team because that's how it's credited in the booklet.

2.) Performer: Individual credits vs Alfh Lyra wa Lyra

Here's where I'm unsure. If all of those members are part of Alfh Lyra wa Lyra, I think we're generally crediting the group if it's credited on the album. There was some talk about also crediting the members under certain circumstances, but I don't recall where we went with that.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Individual credits are important, since we're expanding the role list soon. Capcom Sound Team isn't explicitly credited for performance in the booklet, although if they were, we'd still list the individual performers after.

I changed Alfh Lyra to Capcom Sound Team because yes, that's what the booklet says.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

In that case, I think we should reject both of the new edits by Shredder.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 03:38 PM

Howdy, sorry about the back and forth editing...

1) Composers: The booklet says "Composed and Arranged by Capcom Sound Team" but I obtained the individual credits from the arcade game credits that's listed elsewhere. So, perhaps we should enclose them in brackets like this:
Capcom Sound Team (Tamayo Kawamoto, Ogeretsu Kun, Manami Matsumae, Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, Junko Tamiya, Harumi Fujita)

2) Arrangers: The booklet says "Capcom Sound Team" but on the obi, front and side it says "アルフ ライラ ワ ライラ" ... but I agree that we should just stick to the booklet.

3) Performers: Same here, we should just list those performers who are listed in the booklet, or leave it blank.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 03:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, Shredder.

We'll probably have to figure a good way to credit both Capcom Sound Team and the individual game composers on the composer line. Right now, a series of artists in parentheses would probably confuse the parser that is integral to the process of linking the artists to their discographies.

Thanks for citing the source for your composition credits. We especially need to do that when the information isn't readilly available anywhere else.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
VGMdb Staff

We should always credit actual composers regardless of what the booklet says, no? For late 80s, early 90s CD releases you'll generally be given a generic sound team credit in the booklet, like here, but that doesn't mean specific credits can't be found elsewhere.

Last edited by seanne; Jan 3, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:59 AM

I totally agree with you seanne.

Last edited by Shredder; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:22 PM
Trusted Editor

There is a total of 6 individual composers credited in the booklet by their aliases:

Daimakaimura Arrange Version
by たまたま (Tama Tama)

Rockman 2
by OGERETU・KUN

Lost World
by Tama Tama

ANTI-AIRCRAFT BATTLE BGM A
by GON!

ANTI-SHIP BATTLE BGM A
by ちゃんちゃこリン (Chanchakorin)

ANTI-AIRCRAFT BATTLE BGM B
by Tama Tama

ANTI-SHIP BATTLE BGM B
by Mrs Tarumi (ミセス.たるみ)

ANTI-AIRCRAFT BATTLE BGM C
by Mrs Tarumi

ANTI-SHIP BATTLE BGM C
by Tama Tama

1 STAGE SUCCESSFULLY CLEARED
by Pero (ぺろ)

THEME OF YAMATO
by OGERETU・KUN

Daimakaimura
by OGERETU・KUN

Maybe these are the involved people that should be credited besides Capcom Sound Team.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
Maybe these are the involved people that should be credited besides Capcom Sound Team.
I'm all for that.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:28 PM

The credits for 1943 need to be fixed. Where is Yoshihiro Sakaguchi credited? Then you're missing credits for Tamayo Kawamoto (Tama Tama), Takashi Tateishi (Ogeretsu Kun) and Pero. (Anyone know who Pero is?)

Also, should Yoshihiro Sakaguchi be credited for Lost World? He isn't credited in the book for the music and I'm guessing he's only on here because he's in the games staff roll under "Sound". I'm guessing he only did the sound effects/design.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Feb 12, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, Sound is a kind of generic credit that might not be music composition, so we should probably remove Yoshihiro Sakaguchi (if he's linked), and just list him as "sound".

Are the 1943 credits from the liner notes?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:22 PM

Yeah, although I just followed what was in the previous edit with the generic "stage 1, etc." titles. We should probably fix that to reflect the full track titles.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ok. I don't actually know the stages, so go ahead and make that edit, and I'll link up the composers.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
The credits for 1943 need to be fixed. Where is Yoshihiro Sakaguchi credited? Then you're missing credits for Tamayo Kawamoto (Tama Tama), Takashi Tateishi (Ogeretsu Kun) and Pero. (Anyone know who Pero is?)
Also, should Yoshihiro Sakaguchi be credited for Lost World? He isn't credited in the book for the music and I'm guessing he's only on here because he's in the games staff roll under "Sound". I'm guessing he only did the sound effects/design.

Sakaguchi was reported on arcade history
I have make a research and I find this. There are shots from the final sequence and you can see reported "SOUND & MUSIC : Jungle Kumi"
Maybe "Jungle Kumi" is one of earlier aliases of Sakaguchi (maybe also Pero)?

About Lost Worlds (Forgotten Worlds) the final ending give a generic:
SOUND
Tamasan, Yukichan No Papa

I think, probably the booklet has forgot Sakaguchi (Yukichan No Papa) like co-composer of Lost Worlds.

Last edited by depa; Mar 12, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:24 PM

"Pero" is Hiroshige Tonomura.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 03:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I've removed Yoshihiro Sakaguchi/Yuukichan no papa from the composers.

In Tamayo's Lost World notes, from the way she talks seem like she did all and doesn't indicate there were any other composers. Sakaguchi was still at Capcom when this album was released, I don't think she'd ommit him on purpose.

For 1943 Kai, based on this interview he only says he did Final Fight and Street Fighter when asked about 1943 Kai.

So until further confirmation, his sound credits probably just refers to programming/SE.

"Jungle Kumi" in 1943 Kai credits I think is just a collective alias (kumi=group).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
Trusted Editor

My friend found out who "Jungle Kumi" is. He asked Manami Matsumae and she said this.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pf1G...eature=related
13:15

Sound & Music
Jungle Kumi

Her name is Kumi Yamaga!!"

Last edited by dissident93; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:53 PM
Trusted Editor

But hmm. If the notes list who did what for 1943 Kai, that leaves out Kumi (at least for the OST.) Should I unlink her?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That's pretty interesting. I rechecked the notes and all the commenters do seem to imply they did their song (Harumi Fujita definitely composed for this, was listed in some site), so no room for Yamaga I think.

Perhaps she did programming/S.E only, or partially helped in some tracks?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
My friend found out who "Jungle Kumi" is. He asked Manami Matsumae and she said this.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pf1G...eature=related
13:15

Sound & Music
Jungle Kumi

Her name is Kumi Yamaga!!"
do you have a link to this source?

Somehow I feel Dag's theory is better (with kumi=group). Capcom Game Music Vol.3 has 1943 liner notes written by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi. I guess he composed but the scan is too small to read.

maybe Matsumae just assumed that Kumi meant Yamaga's first name and not group?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
Trusted Editor

Well, Manami and Harumi Fujita both said yes, the person in this picture's name is Kumi Yamaga. I think the only time Sakaguchi composed was on Street Fighter and Final Fight. Not sure on that though..

Remember, my friend asked them, so I don't have the direct quotes. (Although I can get them no problem)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Well, Manami and Harumi Fujita both said yes, the person in this picture's name is Kumi Yamaga. I think the only time Sakaguchi composed was on Street Fighter and Final Fight. Not sure on that though..

Remember, my friend asked them, so I don't have the direct quotes. (Although I can get them no problem)
can't access the picture. Maybe you have to friend Matsumae first to see it?

Sakaguchi also composed for other games like Avengers (aka Hissatsu Buraiken) or Mahjong Academy 2. I think it's possible he did 1943 in part as well.

Would be cool to know if Kumi Yamaga did Section Z NES as Yamachan. And who Kuwachan is (maybe Tamayo Kawamoto?).
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Trusted Editor

That's Kumi Yamaga, Manami Matsumae, Tamayo Kawamoto, Harumi Fujita, and Junko Tamiya in that order circa 1990 or so?

Interesting, I did not know that. Although my friend said "She (Manami or Harumi) told me that Yoshihiro did not compose music for Capcom." Which is interesting because we know he did some, at least.

And yes, you are right. "Yeah Harumi said that Yamachan was Yamaga." And I'm pretty sure that's an alias Kawamoto was credited under in another game?

Last edited by dissident93; Jun 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sakaguchi's credit in Avengers is for "sound and music" with Tamayo Kawamoto, so it's possible that he only did programming/etc. for that one like most games, but I don't believe anyone's clarified that with him or Kawamoto. Never even heard of Mahjong Academy 2 until now, so I have no idea how he's credited there.

@dissident93 Awesome pic.

EDIT: Oh ahahahaha wow, I know Mahjong Academy 2 as Mahjong Gakuen 2, duh. Interestingly enough, that game also credits "sound and music" jointly to Sakaguchi and Kawamoto.

Last edited by CHz; Jun 24, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks dissident.

Seems the "Sound & music" credits are not necessarily accurate for all people mentioned. For example Harumi Fujita was sometimes credited for music when she only did sound effects.

Having listened to Yoshihiro Sakaguchi's work I don't think he did much composing. I bet the Capcom Game Music Vol.3 liner notes say he only did programming and possibly sound effects (we know for sure he programmed 1943 Kai). But I'll wait for proper scans.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:

That's Kumi Yamaga, Manami Matsumae, Tamayo Kawamoto, Harumi Fujita, and Junko Tamiya in that order circa 1990 or so?
I recently asked Harumi Fujita what year that photo was taken and she said around 1987, which makes sense because Kumi Yamaga would have been gone by 1990.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 06:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Fun Trivia!

During the Rockman 2 Arrange track, at 50 seconds in, they say the following password for the game:

"Now Remember... C3, A5, B2, C1, B4, D4, C5, D5, E2 ...Good Drive"

Which starts you at Dr. Wily’s Castle with all weapons and Energy Tanks. Nice tip!