VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:32 PM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:08 AM

I will never understand Nintendo's massive reluctance about releasing soundtrack albums while it continually releases piano and guitar arrangement books for often unreleased music. At least that's not the case with Super Mario 3D World.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 04:51 PM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I will never understand Nintendo's massive reluctance about releasing soundtrack albums while it continually releases piano and guitar arrangement books for often unreleased music.
Didn't Nintendo once say that they are not in the business of selling soundtracks so won't spend effort on it, but 3rd parties are free to license their stuff? I suppose piano and guitar arrangement books are doing well enough for their publishers, that why they keep appearing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:21 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Didn't Nintendo once say that they are not in the business of selling soundtracks so won't spend effort on it, but 3rd parties are free to license their stuff? I suppose piano and guitar arrangement books are doing well enough for their publishers, that why they keep appearing.
yep. but it also makes you wonder why there haven't been more attempts at getting the licenses to publish more OSTs. Guess it isn't worth all the price and/or effort.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:20 AM
VGMdb Staff

The Nintendo Special Big Band made an appearance at the Nintendo Switch event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IsanbRZQs

Mahito Yokota hosted the event along with Hyadain. The music was arranged by Masanori Sasaji.

It seems like Yokota's next big project is Super Mario Odyssey. The music in the first PV sure sounds like his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM
Old Nov 3, 2017, 09:14 PM

So, anyone here who played Odyssey thinks he composed anything of the soundtrack ?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm far from an expert on Yokota so I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong, but these sound like him to me (similar in sound design and composition to Flip-Swap Galaxy and Beat Block Galaxy from SMG2): Another World, Ruins, Ice
Old Nov 4, 2017, 01:34 AM

I've personally wondered for a while now what could Yokota have done in Captain Toad? Sounds quite different from Yokota's typical music (specially if you compare it to 3D World, which was quite recent then), so perhaps Naoto Kubo had the lead there?

The staff credits don't have roles at all, so it's never really been straightly confirmed that Yokota composed music there afaik (he could have been just sound manager or whatever). I used to believe that maybe he had done Pinball Table, but after listening to Jump Up, Super Star I've kinda changed my mind.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm far from an expert on Yokota so I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong, but these sound like him to me (similar in sound design and composition to Flip-Swap Galaxy and Beat Block Galaxy from SMG2): Another World, Ruins, Ice
Seconding. Those are some of my favourite songs in the game and they have the most obvious Yokota sound to my ears.

I would also include Caves and Honeylune Ridge on that list of potential Yokota material. The latter is very much like the Star Chance music in Galaxy.