VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 28, 2016, 09:24 PM

https://www.amazon.co.jp/VALKYRIA-Az...N%3DB01N4GJ160 <--- tracklisting is right here, my fellow VGM comrades!! xD Can't wait to hear this!!! XD
Old Jan 9, 2017, 05:17 AM
Trusted Editor

I checked with CDJapan if they are going to stock the album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ
Hello.

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

Unfortunately, it will not be possible for us to get it supplied.

It will be marketed by a small indies label that has the capacity to accept orders only from a few stores.

Several other customers inquired us, and this is what we found out after making several inquiries.

Sincerely,
Toshi Makiya
@Zana: Any chance that Wayo is going to pick this up? I'm asking because you list some of the albums from the Sleigh Bells label.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

We are not planning to pick it up at the moment, I'm afraid, but I'll let you know if things change.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 06:12 AM
Trusted Editor

Thanks! Guess I have to bite the bullet then
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:01 AM

Really looking forward to hearing Mitsuda's take on the Valkyria world I must admit, though, I had hoped he'd moved on from Sarah Alainn by now... can't abide her singing diction and style at all.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:17 AM

You're not the only one.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:51 PM

Wow, thought I was the only one who couldn't stand her. She and Shigihara strangled the Chrono arranged album to death for me. Hopefully her involvement here is limited to an easily skipped intro or ending song.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:15 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Same here. Enough with the boring angelic voice and its stupid reverb. Exactly like Kanon.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:02 PM

I am like the complete opposite I don't mind Sarah Alainn she can send chills down my spine during the trailer music. I hope i'm not the only one.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 06:03 AM

To be honest my first impression from the trailer music is good - it benefits from classic Mitsuda choral arrangement (RIP Eri Kawai) and, perhaps thanks to it being in that style, Àlainn sings it straight and reigns in the more poppy habits that plagued the Chrono arrange. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same about all the songs in the game
Old Jan 20, 2017, 09:34 PM

Gave this a listen and I'm not overly thrilled. It falls victim to the same problem that all of these veteran JRPG composers have encountered when given an orchestra and ordered to write in a cinematic style. Namely, it's all bombast but without any good tunes. Technically accomplished and probably a good fit for the game but I can't remember a single note after its finished.

I might change my mind with further listens, as has been known to happen.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 02:15 AM

Sarah Alainn is more like a permanent groupy of Mitsuda, I don't think he could bear to see her slink away in rejection.

Anyway about this album, I'm totally in love with it. Someone said that many of the tracks are not memorable, and thats true I think - but the overall recording and the feel of the tracks is top notch.

For some reason I really can't detract much even without the old school Mitsuda vibe of ultra-memorable poppy tunes like Chrono and Xeno.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 01:14 PM

What happen, nothing i feel after mitsuda Chrono and Xeno album, Mitsuda where genius theme when you are more young, what only symphonic and soporific that do. i prefer electronique with your favorite instrumentale, now you do orchestral and that do nothing fantastic. i keep "to the End of Deep Sorrow" only for simple orchestral and a good theme, but i am sad to have lost my favorite compositer after psx (and legaia ps2). No theme, big orchestral with bam bling boum, hate that.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:29 PM

If you haven't heard Soma Bringer yet, give it a listen. I think it's Mitsuda's last great work and it was written long after Legaia 2. Writing for the DS forced him to rein back his epic sound and I think he's a composer that does his best work under restrictions.

After a few more listens, my overall thoughts haven't changed all that much. I think there's maybe thirty minutes I could pull out into a nice "greatest hits" playlist but the rest, eh. "Jutland Kingdom" is wonderful, though.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 01:20 AM

I'm not sure to understand the new release date for that ost, 26 sept 2017

the previous release date is really physical?
or that new date is a reprint made for international shipping too (apparently cdjapan got it, didn't know they didn't)
https://twitter.com/procyonstudio

Last edited by Phonograph; Sep 9, 2017 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added cdjapan link
Old Sep 9, 2017, 04:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's just the wide release. Previously it was only available from Amazon.co.jp. Now it's available in a bunch of shops and can be shipped worldwide.
Old May 14, 2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseLegend View Post
Anyway about this album, I'm totally in love with it. Someone said that many of the tracks are not memorable, and thats true I think - but the overall recording and the feel of the tracks is top notch.
Totally agree. While I completely get that with every new significant compositional release by Mitsuda-san, there's gonna be a part of some people hoping for a return to the glorious musical language of his past works (hell, even I do at times) - but it's plain ridiculous to characterise music like this as theme-less, or all bombastic.

C'mon guys, there's plenty of fantastic musical content here. Music that you know has been pored over by a bona fide perfectionist genius. To me, there's just a little hint of cringe, and more importantly disrespect, to not giving his sheer talent a chance just because you're pining for something like XenoCross Dreamers Original Soundtrack and this is not it...
Old May 14, 2020, 05:33 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenissimusDux View Post
Totally agree. While I completely get that with every new significant compositional release by Mitsuda-san, there's gonna be a part of some people hoping for a return to the glorious musical language of his past works (hell, even I do at times) - but it's plain ridiculous to characterise music like this as theme-less, or all bombastic.

C'mon guys, there's plenty of fantastic musical content here. Music that you know has been pored over by a bona fide perfectionist genius. To me, there's just a little hint of cringe, and more importantly disrespect, to not giving his sheer talent a chance just because you're pining for something like XenoCross Dreamers Original Soundtrack and this is not it...
I feel like this soundtrack is one of his best works. He has evolved as a composer and I have been a willing passenger on that ride. One other reason this one in particular might not be as well loved as Trigger/Xeno/Cross is because the game was so poorly received. I've never played it, but judging the music on its own merit, it's quite an incredible soundtrack. And I don't know what people are talking about when they say there are no memorable themes. There are lots of memorable melodies throughout, many of which he reuses and rearranges in later tracks. I think people just need to spend more time with the music and they will learn to love it.

Last edited by Chris Porter; May 14, 2020 at 05:37 PM.