VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default VGMdb hosting GMR Online database

About a month ago, I got a message from Mik in which he stated that he had decided to close GMR Online, partly because he lacked the time to maintain it, but also because VGMdb has been successful in achieving most of his original vision for a user-submitted database of game music albums. We all felt that GMR was too valuable a resource and historical record to lose forever, so Mik offered to let us host a write-locked copy of the database here.

You can view the GMR archive at http://gmronline.vgmdb.net/

This moment certainly gives us pause -- it's like the passing of an old friend. I remember some of my early days in this VGM hobby, probably back in 2001 and 2002 when GMR online was the go-to site for info about albums. Mik was definitely a pioneer, and GMR laid the foundation for later sites including VGMdb. Much appreciation goes to Mik for his years of work, and for allowing us to keep this resource available.

The original gmronline.com URL will eventually be redirected to point to the new archive.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:56 AM

Much love to GMR. Awesome idea to host an archive.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks for the kind words. gmronline.com now redirects to gmronline.vgmdb.net. It took a while for my registrar to make the change. Thanks to vgmdb.net for hosting the archive.

Since I haven't had any time to maintain the site or monitor user submissions for the past few years, and since vgmdb.net is now really good, it made the most sense to me to encourage people to keep updating only one database: vgmdb.net. When I made GMR user-updateable I was hopeful that that would allow the site to keep going and stay current, which it did, and was awesome. I think I may have even pre-dated the public launch of wikipedia for a user-updateable database of sorts. I guess I should have filed a patent application for it. Oops.

GMR could only ever get so good with just me editing it and it really became a great resource because of the contributions of so many people. Thank you to everyone who made it what it is, and consequently made vgmdb.net what it is. If nothing else, I think we've gotten at least a few people to appreciate the difference between real vgm albums and bootlegs. If nothing else, that's pretty cool.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Indeed, GMR layed a foundation for what vgmdb is today. The evolution continues...
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:22 AM

bittersweet news indeed. I suppose it was inevitable with the ever-increasing popularity and functionality of this site, but it is great to see that GMR won't disappear. thanks for your years of hard work Mik!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:28 AM

Many many thanks for GMR, Mik! I remember when I first started seriously getting into VGM, I visited GMR almost on a daily basis. I'm glad to see it'll always live on via the VGMdb server. I know it's not even close to being the same thing but this kinda reminds me of when DigiCube went out of business. End of an era.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Mik, I really appreciate your cooperation and humility in all of this. GMR has ALWAYS been my go-to place for upcoming releases, and I just loved the page layout. VGMdb certainly has improved on the major flaw that sites like GMR (and even my own blessed child, RPGFan Soundtracks) suffers from: ACCURACY (tracklist, track/disc times, etc). But GMR is a favorite site of mine, and it will remain one, even now that it is write-locked.

Man, first Chudah's Corner, now this. As much as I love VGMdb (and you KNOW I do!), I hope other cool sites don't pass away into obscurity. I still gots plenty of SEMO love.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:03 PM

wha! i didn't know about chudah :x that was my go-to place (i only discovered GMR a few months before i discovered VGMdb.)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up to VGMdb, GMR can be used as a reference.

Last edited by Metroid; Oct 12, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:15 PM

:x

I used to see GMR a couple of times in the past.
Like any database, it was a good resource... but lastly, I was never really able to understand how it worked.

None the less, like any pioneer project, it motivated the birth of newer heritage-alike sites that used it as reference and moved to their own directions. That is the way of evolution. But good that is not lost, because there surely are yet valuable data (including the sentimental value)

VGMdb has just become not only a good resource for album metadata, but also is much more accurate and complete than others -broadly- specialized, even including MusicBrainz, what lacks good entries in game and anime medias.

Visually attractive, but also powerful, specially talking about the search feature, I love that one.

Let's keep up this database growing and tunning it.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:52 PM

ah, GMR. What a wonderful site. Not just a supremely useful database in its day, but also ridiculously/hilariously easy to edit (no offense). Terrible person that I am, I put joke tracklists up on April 1st for a Shining Soul 2 OST (with far more music than the game actually had) and a Mega Man X/X2 rock arrange album (bet that really pissed some people off).

I also put up a joke Sigma Star Saga tracklist, then lost my own personal copy of it (overwrote the text file by accident). I'm going to assume something karmic was involved there, because it was my personal favorite of the three - I had more fun thinking up what the game/music should have been like than actually playing the game itself.

RIP.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:50 AM

I used to be often on GMR in my vgm-beginnings. Mik made the right choice, it's better to work together instead against, right?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:23 PM

I remember when I first had Internet back in the 2000s, and how GMR made me discover all the VGM scene and how vast it is. I find it very nice for it to be archived, as it clearly is a part of history in this scene.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:13 AM

Great initiative, said to see it go though.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:50 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Big thumbs up to GMR! It's good to know that it's being preserved.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.