VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:48 PM

While the first three tracks are stand-alone arrangements, the rest of the album has different synth than is used in the game, leaving nothing to make this qualify as an original soundtrack. That's why I'm changing the classification.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

From the liner notes seems it's the original source music, which I think we still classify as OST (ex. NDS OSTs).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 01:03 AM

I've seen it go the other way too. Of course I'm fine with either way. Could you add that info to the notes section then?

Should original source music be classified as original soundtrack though? I know this discussion has been had before and there were people on both sides, but my view is if it doesn't have the same synth as appeared in game it's not really the original soundtrack to the game. Someone might buy this CD wanting to hear what they heard when playing the game and won't really. Or perhaps it should just always be mentioned if the synth is different, as on those DS albums. I don't really have a perfect idea and don't feel strongly enough to come up with one, just my two cents.

Last edited by _if; Nov 1, 2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 03:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I do agree, just poining out seemingly OST is used.
But I guess we aren't too consistent (ex).

I shall try again...!