VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 24, 2014, 06:43 AM

Default Slowness in the evenings...

So I tend to visit the site every day to check for new forum posts, at about ~10:40 PM Pacific. I've noticed lately (maybe past couple months, maybe even longer) that the site is really slow at that time -- the pages take forever to load as if it's not finding the site. At times it's even given me a 500 (?) error or whatever the number is.
I can't say I've ever noticed the issue when I visit the site most of the day though, like right now it's running perfectly fine.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 08:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I've noticed the poor performance too, and have talked to the other admins about fixing the problem. We are planning to get a subproject who shares our server space moved off to another server to reduce the load, and also possibly move VGMdb to a server with an SSD for better performance.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:14 PM

Just a bump to note that this continues to happen. It's worse some days than others but the past two nights it was bad enough that the 'last visited' flag was triggered and the only way I could check the previous days' posts was the quicklink, rather than the unread...very frusterating.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 05:19 AM

Another bump because nothing's changed...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:24 PM

I always hate to post about these things because I feel like I'm complaining, but... is there any update on this? This has been happening since I joined the site - looking up CDs, posting... It happened to me when I tried to post a couple times just this past week and I remember it also happened to me in the Poison Pink thread, which was really aggravating because that was a pretty long response that I had put some work into. I waited something like 20 minutes for that one. Tonight I was trying to look up a CD, and that took half an hour.

Like TerraEpon said, the time seems to be around 10:40, though sometimes even a little earlier for me and it extends past 11:00. Does anybody know what's causing this problem? I understand it's not a big deal to walk away from a website for half an hour, but when you're into something and want to look some facts up real quick, it's very discouraging when you happen to catch the site during its annoying little downtime and sometimes I just give up and I'm over it by the time the site comes back.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:50 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one. I had to take to checking the site in the morning instead of night it got so bad.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 05:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The plan is to move off our current provider. A lot of preparation needs to be done before that can happen -- I've already dedicated a few weekends to it. There's a few active co-tenants on the server that I need to take care of as well.

I can't promise a timeframe yet, just want to let you know it's being worked on right now.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:31 AM

Great, thanks for the update
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:00 PM

Hate to dredge this ol' boy up, but... any progress on this? This never really stopped happening to me, and tonight I've received several 503 Service Errors. The pages that do load take around 3 minutes to do so.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 05:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Damn, has it really been two years?

Progress update: I’ve moved one tenant off the server since then, and another has closed down, so there’s one final tenant left. I’ve also managed to move our media hosting completely off-server so that removes a huge roadblock.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:14 AM

Yeah, time does fly. I'm a month or two away from my 3rd anniversary here

Thanks for the update.