VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

So now that the cd is out, has there been any info on who actually composed the music? My copy should be in the mailbox tomorrow
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
So now that the cd is out, has there been any info on who actually composed the music? My copy should be in the mailbox tomorrow
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/09/12...-boss-gallery/

I should have mine from Kahori tomorrow, too! Can't wait to GET!

-Mike
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:33 PM

Same here from Kahori, should be here Tuesday.

Nice disc art!

"You returned here again? You can't beat me even though you challenge repeatedly."
-Mr. Wardner
Old Sep 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

Got it today! First prints come with two Rock badges, which apparently vary depending on where you bought your soundtrack. Mine (and the two other copies I got, for friends) all had one Rockman button and one Wily button. The entire disc clocks in at 47 minutes and 41 seconds. The music is exactly what you're expecting, classic NES chiptunes at their finest. I'm still listening to it but so far it's ROCKing me. More companies need to do this sort of thing. Like.. NEW chiptune music! Something that hasn't been "new" since the early 90's! Good job, Capcom! There are some tracks that were ripped straight from Rockman 2: MENU, GAME START, STAGE CLEAR, GET A WEAPON, DR. WILY UFO, DR. WILY CASTLE, GAME OVER, and OLD SE. Also, the bass line from RUSH JET is ripped from GET A WEAPON. All of the new music is phenomenal though, as I had imagined it would be. I'm not listening to anything after track 23, waiting to play the game for the full effect of the Wily stages and ending tracks.

But yeah. A+++, 11/10, one of the finest releases of 2008. Chiptunes ftmfw!

-Mike
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
waiting to play the game for the full effect of the Wily stages and ending tracks...
...I'm gonna *TRY* to hold out and not listen until after I can WiiWare the game and play it all ingame first....
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:39 PM

Tell me if discussion of this is taboo; I'm not promoting piracy or giving out links, so yeah...

There's a rip floating around made by one of the big fansites. If you're an audiophile, please don't judge the quality of the album based on that rip. Whatever VBR encoding they used really screwed up some of the fidelity in the tracks. They'll start out clean and sharp and then gradually degrade into fuzziness. Once I noticed it, it was so distressing that it convinced me to buy the album.

Of course, Capcom has a record of that sort of thing, so maybe the album itself was just poorly mastered. I'll know for myself in a few days, regardless.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post
There's a rip floating around made by one of the big fansites. If you're an audiophile, please don't judge the quality of the album based on that rip. Whatever VBR encoding they used really screwed up some of the fidelity in the tracks. They'll start out clean and sharp and then gradually degrade into fuzziness. Once I noticed it, it was so distressing that it convinced me to buy the album.
I have a rip and it sounds fine to me. I have high quality speakers and a good sound chip too. Everything seems fine with the album. What you have must be a bad rip.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I have a rip and it sounds fine to me. I have high quality speakers and a good sound chip too. Everything seems fine with the album. What you have must be a bad rip.
Speakers / sound card has nothing to do with it. Up until now, it was the same rip everybody else had. (There's three or four floating around, now)

Listen to Galaxy Man's theme. It starts off nice and sharp, but within the first five seconds it sounds like someone turned the treble dial all the way down. Compare the very start of the song (0:00) with the loop point (0:47). It's day and night, and it's one of those rare situations where VBR makes things worse. At least I HOPE it's the poor VBR and not the actual mastering of the album that's causing that, which was the whole point of my first post.

Like I said, it's an audiophile thing (though I don't consider myself one, even I could notice the quality wavering through song to song). Ignorance is bliss, though, and if no one else can hear it, more power to you.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:08 AM

hey there people

this may be a bit of a dumb question, since i'm fairly new here, but i was looking for a big scan of the cover of this album (itunes coverflow obsessed), is there a trick to view the bigger versions of the scans, or are they just shrunken to limit bandwith usage ? thanks a bunch !
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You can see the largest scans if you are logged in (which now you are.) It looks like we don't have a larger scan for the front cover though.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
VGMdb Staff

iWamoto: The 'Booklet Front & Back' scan is the one you want. The 'Front' one is just there to act as the cover image for the album entry.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

If someone with both the OST and AST could fill in the rest of the composer info for this album based on the info for the arranged tracks, that would be fantabulous. Currently missing are:

01 OPENING 1
02 OPENING 2
03 OPENING 3 (these first three all might be arranged in 01 Prologue, by Ryo Kawakami)
06 STAGE SELECT (assuming this is 21 What Do You Select ?, by Yu Shimoda)
19 SHOP (my guess is 12 Cutie Roll, by Yu Shimoda)
20 RUSH JET (Cutie Roll also? dunno)
29 ENDING
30 STAFF ROLL (29 and 30 both might be arranged in 22 Epilogue, by Yu Shimoda and Ryo Kawakami; one or both of these tracks might also be 23 To a Shining Tomorrow, by Ippo Yamada)
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
01 OPENING 1
02 OPENING 2
03 OPENING 3 (these first three all might be arranged in 01 Prologue, by Ryo Kawakami)
Correct.

Quote:
06 STAGE SELECT (assuming this is 21 What Do You Select ?, by Yu Shimoda)
Yep.

Quote:
19 SHOP (my guess is 12 Cutie Roll, by Yu Shimoda)
20 RUSH JET (Cutie Roll also? dunno)
Both, yes.

Quote:
29 ENDING
30 STAFF ROLL (29 and 30 both might be arranged in 22 Epilogue, by Yu Shimoda and Ryo Kawakami;
Right, both.

Quote:
one or both of these tracks might also be 23 To a Shining Tomorrow, by Ippo Yamada)
30 STAFF ROLL is 23 To a Shining Tomorrow

"You returned here again? You can't beat me even though you challenge repeatedly."
-Mr. Wardner
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Awesome, thanks dude.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:23 PM

Seeing all the opinions here, and from a fellow rockman and vgm fan, I think I'll definitely be picking this one up along the arrange album, given that my collection is very lacking in regards to more old school/retro music; time to fix that
I listened to some samples and it sounded nice, so I'm hoping it will be quite worth it. Besides, this would be my first Rockman album I'm picking up : o

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:18 PM

Old SE contains sounds from Rockman 3 (Blues whistle, boss energy collect, extra life) and 4 (cancel sound at 0:47), so Yasuaki and (until further notice) Minae are added to the notes section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6pfdHG17E - Rockman 9 Old SE

Compare to these as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KwXdziGGn0 - Rockman 1 SE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jvbOZm5Q4 - Rockman 2 SE

I don't think any of Yoshihiro's SE from 1 made it to 9, nor do I believe that he created any new SEs for 2, meaning that Manami redid or otherwise created them all herself for that game; Yoshihiro's name being kept because they are recreations of his work by Manami and not completely original. In other words, Manami was the only SE staff who actually worked on Rockman 2. The shift in SE quality between 1 and SE is also a huge indicator of this, and none of the completely new Rockman 2 SEs sound anything like those from Rockman 1. Likewise, the one BGM, one SE trend is completed with Minae as BGM-only and Yasuaki as SE-only in Rockman 4. Lastly, purely recycled music was never credited as this time, just like with the rest of the NES series.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:39 PM

Sound effect information updated based on this interview with Manami Matsumae, Takashi Tateishi, and Yoshihiro Sakaguchi.
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/featu...matsumae.shtml

-Matsumae handled both BGM & Sound Effects in Mega Man 1.
-Tateishi handled both BGM & Sound Effects in Mega Man 2.
-Sakaguchi was the sound programmer for both games; he created none of the sound effects.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The most recent edit removed Manami Ietel & Yuukichan's Papa from the linked composers. I know this is the result of some research that spans several threads, so could you summarize here why they were removed, and how they ended up there in the first place?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 01:03 PM

Manami Ietel & Yuukichan's Papa I guess were put up with Ogeretsu Kun upon this album page's creation, back in that now seemingly ancient time when we thought all three of them did the music for MM2, which returns in this game unchanged. But since neither Matsumae nor Sakaguchi actually composed anything from MM2, they have no reason to be in the composer field.

Chris' earlier contact with Kimitaka Matsumae (http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1186) [posts 27 and 28] showed that Matsumae and Tateishi composed all the BGM of their respective games, and that Sakaguchi handled the Sound Effects in MM1 whilst Matsumae did them in 2.

However, as the interview I linked to in my earlier post showed, Matsumae and Tateishi created all the sound effects in their respective games along with the music. Sakaguchi was merely the programmer in both games. This makes sense as Yasuaki Fujita [3], Mari Yamaguchi [5], and Yuko Takehara [6] had to have created their own sound effects as well, due to their being the only sound-related names in their respective games' credits.

I guess Kimitaka meant the fact that Manami's sound effects were originally preserved in MM2 to be used again, as the interview stated (Thank God they weren't ).

Regardless, since the interview is from the sound team itself, Kimitaka's words are naturally less official than theirs.

The only question I have left is, why is Matsuame still credited for MM2 if she neither created nor programmed the BGM or SE [save 8 bars of Airman's Stage]? My guess is that the original intention of having her sound effects used stayed on record the entire time. Heck, one of them even managed to make it into the sound test [the old pause sound, to be specific]. According to Another Soundscape, Matsumae was credited for "re-used material from Rockman 1 that she was credited as the composer for," so I guess I've got the right answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kv7KLqE2ac - MM1 Sound Effects (at 0:02)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is40JFgmijs - MM2 Sound Effects (at 0:03)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM.