VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 25, 2015, 04:21 AM

I have a feeling Angel Island Zone may be composed by the mysterious Masanori Nakayama. It doesn't sound like anyone at SEGA's style. If the track is Nakayama's, it's likely Sega would've forgot who composed it.

By the way, I doubt Kashima and Sawada would lie.

This ordeal makes me want to rip my hair out and scream. I fear that we'll never solve this mystery. At the moment we can't contact Maeda, Ogawa, or Hikichi, and the three will probably be retired by next decade. Senoue also refuses to speak of it, and it's likely he may never speak about. Most of the composers who worked with MJ have also not revealed which tracks they done; a few of them have even been hostile about it.

Hmm... this sounds like a stupid idea, but does anyone think we'd get much success if we got one of the contactable composers to ask Maeda or Ogawa?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 05:57 AM
Trusted Editor

Nakayama is not even known to be a composer, though. I tried to get any info I could about him a few years ago, and couldn't find anything. Sega/Wave Master knows which of the songs were written by their employees, as Angel Island was approved for remix in Brawl. No way they do that if the copyright status was foggy, just like it is for the MJ stuff.

And Sega has told the sound guys that worked on the game to not talk about it. Although, both Setsumaru and Sawada have broken that rule lol. You might be able to get something from Maeda or Ogawa, but I doubt it since I don't think they have any social media profiles. I'm pretty sure that we will never get a 100% breakdown on the songs, but over time, more info will come out of nowhere, like the Hard Times/Ice Cap thing. Besides, I wouldn't really worry about it, since does it really matter if who composed Mushroom Hill or Death Egg? Pretty sure we all know which are the Japanese compositions over the MJ ones.

Last edited by dissident93; Nov 25, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:35 PM

What I meant is that Sega may have bought the rights to Angel Island Zone's music, just like they did with Mexican Flyer. (I think...?) But I guess I'll throw that theory out the window, as I believe you're correct about Nakayama. I still wonder what Nakayama's role was, though. Sound effects? Arrangements? Or nothing at all?

Speaking of Nakayama, is it known yet on who composed the replaced music in SK Collection? Wasn't it rumoured to be Setsumaru?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:13 AM
Trusted Editor

Nah, all sound effects and arrangements in the game were handled Sega side. Most likely, he was in some sort of support role, like Mayumi Nina Sakazaki was. Although, I've no idea what Studio Who, the group he was credited under in the staff roll, is.

And I asked Setsumaru years ago if he wrote those songs, and he said no. So either they are unused tunes originally meant for the Genesis version, or they were all original themes composed by Shigeaki Irie, Masaaki Nishizawa, and Goro Takahashi, who were credited as "Sound Arrangers" in the credits. I'd go with the former, personally.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 01:44 PM

Question Angel Island & Sky Sanctuary Composer

Hi, I know this thread has been dormant for the past 6 years, but I'd like to discuss something I realized regarding the 3&K tracks on this album.

The album specifically credits Tomonori Sawada, Yoshiaki Kashima, and Howard Drossin. Sawada has confirmed that he only wrote the S3 Title theme (which appears on this album) and Drossin (who only worked on Sonic & Knuckles, not Sonic 3) has confirmed that he only wrote the S&K Title and Knuckles themes (the former of which appears on this album).

Kashima has confirmed that he wrote the Special Stage theme (which appears on this album), but he didn't say that was his only contribution to the game (in fact, if I remember correctly when he said he did Special Stage he also said he did some other songs (no names)).

The fact that only Sawada, Kashima, and Drossin are credited, with that matching up with what they have confirmed (Titles and Special Stage) that would imply the 3 of them being credited is correct. Which leaves Angel Island and Sky Sanctuary.

Kashima is the only one out of the three who has not confirmed what all of their contributions to the game are. This leads me to the conclusion that he must have composed Angel Island and Sky Sanctuary.

There is no official confirmation on this, but, to me at least, it makes a lot of sense considering the rest of the credits line up, and the other two can't have composed the songs.