VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 3, 2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish
I had to do rely on some non-compliant (hackish trickery) behavior to even get this to work. I've only tested it fully with EAC and CDex. If you use a piece of software that doesn't work let me know where to obtain it and I'll try to get it working. If it's open source I'll have a better chance.
Can you provide the CDex (v1.51) configuration please? I can't connect no matter what kind of parameter I change on it....

EDIT: Figured it out. Zorbfish pointed me in the right direction so thanks once again!

Address: vgmdb.net
Path: /cddb/en
Protocol: HTTP
Port: 80
Email: your email
Timeout: 20 (default)

Last edited by cstrife0777; Jul 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:01 PM

Superb feature, thank you very much.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:11 AM

From what I read, what this does is automagically add tags to tracks, is this right?
I just got my hands on ~30 touhou albums, and tagging all of the tracks manually would be a major pain
I tried using both CDex and EAC and none of them worked; probably because I should configure the programs before trying to use this feature.
So what I'd like to ask is if anyone mind posting a step-by-step guide on how to use this for very VERY dumb people, like me? *cough*

I'll keep checking this thread to see if anyone answered my request :P

Last edited by acucar11; Jul 28, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acucar11 View Post
From what I read, what this does is automagically add tags to tracks, is this right?
I just got my hands on ~30 touhou albums, and tagging all of the tracks manually would be a major pain
I tried using both CDex and EAC and none of them worked; probably because I should configure the programs before trying to use this feature.
So what I'd like to ask is if anyone mind posting a step-by-step guide on how to use this for very VERY dumb people, like me? *cough*

I'll keep checking this thread to see if anyone answered my request :P
Check out that post two posts up.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGradio View Post
Check out that post two posts up.
When I said I tried using CDex and EAC, I tried by doing what's told in that post and this post.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

As a doublecheck, you might want to do a quick search to make sure we HAVE entries for those particular Touhou albums listed here at vgmdb (even though we have hundreds of them it's still not all of them), so that might explain an unsuccessful data-fetch for some doujins.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Also, you'll want to make sure that we have a tracklist with track times, and that the track times are accurate.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:05 PM

I have many untagged touhou music files. I got, for example Crimson Glory Remixies+, by NJK Record. I checked all the tracks and they have the same duration as in the album page.

- I opened EAC;
- I went to EAC -> freedb / Database Options...
- I entered my email in the appropriate field, and filled the "Freedb server" field with my chosen language, like this;
- I clicked the "Get active freedb server list" button, and then the OK button;
-

What should I do now?

This is why I asked for a small step-by-step guide for very VERY dumb people, like me <.<
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, you press Alt+G.

Or Database -> Get CD Information From -> Remote freedb

Both do the same thing.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:52 PM

Yes, accurate track times are important. I'm going through ripping my collection right now, and about one-third of the albums I've gone through so far have minor differences in track times.

There were a few albums where I couldn't pull in the album even after I corrected the track times with the output from EAC, but I'm not sure why. On at least one of the discs, there was a slight lead-in gap on the first track, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:09 PM

So I can't tag the files on my hard drive? I have to put them on an MP3 or CD first?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You gotta use the right tool for the job. There's a tagger (or rather, a utility to be used with MP3Tag) written by PhantomSnake that can retrieve data from VGMdb:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1902
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Yes, accurate track times are important. I'm going through ripping my collection right now, and about one-third of the albums I've gone through so far have minor differences in track times.
Non-issue. The script has a builtin tolerance of up to +-3 seconds to take into account variations in the rounding of track times. Anything with a difference of more than 3 seconds is probably wrong, or missing gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
There were a few albums where I couldn't pull in the album even after I corrected the track times with the output from EAC, but I'm not sure why. On at least one of the discs, there was a slight lead-in gap on the first track, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Please inform me when such discs appear.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:33 PM

Zorbfish, not sure it falls in that category, but CD1 [SVWC-7173] of "Shin Megami Tensei III NOCTURNE Original Soundtrack" isn't recognized.
EAC reports "Error - CD not found in database".
Although it is indeed present http://vgmdb.net/album/1584
CD2 [SVWC-7174] is recognized alright.

On a side note, I haven't managed to set the Winamp CDreader 2.03beta plugin to use VGMdb : http://videoff7.free.fr/in_CDReader.dll
Because the plugin seems to expect /~cddb/ (it's hardcoded) and VGMdb is set for /cddb/ ...
Wouldn't it be better for compatibility with the many apps out there if VGMdb used /~cddb/ ?

See you,

Alcahest
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
Zorbfish, not sure it falls in that category, but CD1 [SVWC-7173] of "Shin Megami Tensei III NOCTURNE Original Soundtrack" isn't recognized.

On a side note, I haven't managed to set the Winamp CDreader 2.03beta plugin to use VGMdb : http://videoff7.free.fr/in_CDReader.dll
Because the plugin seems to expect /~cddb/ (it's hardcoded) and VGMdb is set for /cddb/ ...
Wouldn't it be better for compatibility with the many apps out there if VGMdb used /~cddb/ ?

See you,

Alcahest
I think I have that disc, if I can find where it is I'll pop it into EAC and see what the problem is. If you have the EAC rip log could you send that to me?

As for the Winamp plugin, it's non-compliant with CDDB standards. Client software is required to allow the user to set the server and path.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I just tweaked the regex so both /cddb/ and /~cddb/ should work now.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
If you have the EAC rip log could you send that to me?
No rip log, I just popped the disk in and had EAC retrieve Cd info.

Quote:
As for the Winamp plugin, it's non-compliant with CDDB standards. Client software is required to allow the user to set the server and path.
Ah, yeah it's very old indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I just tweaked the regex so both /cddb/ and /~cddb/ should work now.
Thanks Giga, that should do
Later,

Alcahest

Last edited by Alcahest; Jul 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Actually, I've had that happen to me with quite a couple of albums, already. Last one, I think it was KOF 2000 Disc 1. I'm guessing it's because of non-matching tracklengths on the album's VGMdb tracklist? I recall to have heard about something like that.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:18 AM

Well, even when I've matched up the track times, it has happened to me occasionally. Usually, if there was an error, I can fix the track times on VGMdb, and it will load up properly right away, but sometimes it won't.

Here are the albums that I couldn't get to load so far:

CA-3393 Super Mario Brothers 1. 2. 3. -Hop! Step! Jump!-
AVCA-14596 KIRBY! / Kirby ☆ step!
BY30-5179 We Love Wizardry
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:40 PM

Crash, do you have rip logs or cuesheets for those albums?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:23 AM

Sure. I'll PM them to you.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:07 PM

Also going to mention that I've had four instances where CDs were not recognized by EAC (even though they are/were listed on VGMdb.net). Two of them were single CD soundtracks and the other two were part of 2-CD soundttracks. Off the top of my head, I can't recall which ones, but I want to say Tenchu 3 and Lost Child Infinia.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Finally found my copy. This here's a good example of 'check the tracktimes'. Track 18 of Disc 1 was off by an entire minute! Fixed it, and now it loads up fine.

Lacka (and to anyone else):
Send me a PM or email with Album link and cuesheets/logs if possible. And the reason I ask for logs is that for albums I don't physically own it's very difficult to test. EAC logs give an exact physical map of the CD and sometimes contains info not available through just the track times.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've added the number of freedb accesses to the page traffic stats at the bottom of the album pages. You can check them out here, for the FFX album, for which I loaded each disc into EAC and grabbed the tags from the database (incrementing the counters by 1 for each disc.)

This will come in handy for identifying albums that haven't been accessed on the freedb server, and hence may have track timing errors. You can all help out by loading up your CDs to assist in verifying the times.

I'm not totally happy with the format of the new info, but it's tricky since it varies by the number of discs. We'll have to work on that corner of the album page a little more.

EDIT - Since a cddb only catalogues CDs, I modified it to just show a "-" for non-CD media.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Note that due to our previous policy of discarding data tracktimes (or the data track entirely), any enhanced CD (audio+ etc) is not likely going to match.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, we're going to have to find a way to do that without making the tracklists too messy.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:50 PM

Well, on your typical audio CD, you're only looking at one data track (unlike, say, TurboGrafx CDs that have more than one, usually track 2 and then the last track) but if you're already splitting CDs into media, you could maybe just toss a "this cd has a data track" checkbox and have the user input a number of sectors into the box if they know what it is. Then it wouldn't have to be on the tracklist at all. Or, alternatively, the tracklist could have a checkbox next to the track time that says "data track" or something.

Neither of these ideas will look totally beautiful but they're at least reasonably elegant, I guess. Just ideas! =]
Old Aug 8, 2009, 06:33 AM

Hmmm... Is there anyone else having problems with the freedb server? Im using EAC but it won't retrieve the tracklist data, it only spills out "Error - Server Error" with no further info. Made sure the server url was okay, but no luck.

Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for alerting us. There was a small error that Blah was able to fix, so it's all working now.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:36 AM

No problem. Thanks for fixing it