VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:14 AM

Haven't forgotten about this, just too busy at the moment. I'll submit a patch as soon as I can.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:09 AM

I will be away for sometime too.

Thank you in advance for the patch.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:19 AM

I noticed another important thing, for albums Classification = Arrangement would be better to place the names of the arrangers rather than composers on the Artist name Freedb field.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hm, Ys SEVEN Mini Album doesn't seem to be found through EAC.

- Justin Pfeiffer

EDIT:

Ah, the track times had errors. Corrected them and it's working now.

Last edited by xanadujin; Oct 4, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for fixing those times. Yeah, small errors in the track times are usually the main reason for a freedb failure. Metroid and a few others have been working their way through verifying them all on EAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
I noticed another important thing, for albums Classification = Arrangement would be better to place the names of the arrangers rather than composers on the Artist name Freedb field.
Yeah, I think you're right here, though it'll be difficult to do this in a purely general sense until we've got the track-by-track credits, which are coming in the future.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
Haven't forgotten about this, just too busy at the moment. I'll submit a patch as soon as I can.
This album http://vgmdb.net/album/4624 also can not be retrieved, the problem is few tracks + correct tracktimes, if the album had more tracks or not correct tracktimes let's say 1 second less or more each track of difference compared to the correct tracktimes then it would be ok.

Most albums with few tracks + correct tracktimes retrieve the info just fine.

The album retrieve deficiency increases as the tracks are fewer.

For example:

10 albums with 10 tracks + correct tracktimes, the rate of retrieving the info is around 95%.

10 albums with 8 tracks + correct tracktimes, the rate of retrieving the info stays around 85%.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:03 AM

This only works for basically EAC right? There's still no way to point Winamp or Windows Media Player to read from this database, is that correct?

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:48 AM
Trusted Editor

It also works for foobar. Basically every program that lets you choose a cddb server.

I think the issue with Winamp and Windows Media Player is that they have the Gracenote CDDB license, which is a commercial service, while freedb is open and can be searched even without inserting the CD.

On another note I still cannot figure out how to look up CDs with a data track.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadujin View Post
This only works for basically EAC right? There's still no way to point Winamp or Windows Media Player to read from this database, is that correct?
The key is, if you can find a place to change the CDDB server, there's hope... otherwise, there's definitely no chance.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:25 AM

not quite sure how i set this up in foobar. here's what i've done:

http://www.vgmusic.com/~lunar/vgmdb.PNG

i assumed i'd see another option under "tagging" in the main view, but all i see is the single "get tags from freedb" option. is that correct? if it is, it isn't working for me with any vg albums I try. i imagine it's still trying to look up album info on freedb rather than vgmdb. though it could also be because i'm using mp3s? the only vg albums i own are already on freedb anyway. why is nothing ever simple!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Trusted Editor

I don't think there's a way to set up two cddb servers. The second is just an alternative if the first goes down. You'll have to delete the freedb server from that list but you can always restore it back. What's bothersome is switching between the two.

As for the address field, that's just the part after the domain so e.g "/cddb". Foobar then uses server+address to contact vgmdb.net/cddb.
You can do this using mp3s, but you have to select all tracks first.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:01 AM

huh, that's lame. as it stands it's more convenient to keep freedb.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wonder if there's a way to write a plugin for foobar that enables you to queue multiple freedb servers.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:45 AM

Foobar 1.0 had just entered the beta stage and the SDK
has not been released yet,so we have to wait,I guess.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:07 PM

Instead of a plugin it may be easier to page scrape VGMdb, in the same way foo_discogs does. This provides more information to be used, gives the user the ability to put the tags where they so desire and bypasses having to wait on the developer kit.

As an aside it may also be easier to link up with multiple database retrieval programs. CDDB/Freedb is good but kind of lacks the amount of information you pull, a small partnership with MusicBrainz may be of benefit to both parties especially when both achieve their intended over hauls of the respective systems.

Gracenote or AMG may be interested also.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:25 PM

Is there anything wrong with the VGM freedb server? I have been trying to use it for 2 days and nothing is retrieved.

If is possible, could anyone do a test and check it out.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just tried a couple of albums I've tested in the past, and they worked fine for me.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks CHz for testing it out,

I tested on many albums with EAC and Foobar both of them get server error. I also asked Teioh to test an album and he has the same problem as me. I wonder if this could be some locational issue. It started yesterday, before that all was working fine. I will give some days, hopefully it is going work again.

I wonder if there is anybody else with this problem.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:59 PM

I'm getting this problem as well. Today is the first time it has happened to me.

If I put in disc 1 from Akumajo Dracula Best 2, then EAC says "Communicating with server..." and gives me results for KICA-7506~7, KICA-7902~3, GM-103~4. When I select an entry it says "Server error." and doesn't fill in any info.

If I put in Napple Tale Vol. 1 then it just goes straight to "Server error."
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
If I put in disc 1 from Akumajo Dracula Best 2, then EAC says "Communicating with server..." and gives me results for KICA-7506~7, KICA-7902~3, GM-103~4. When I select an entry it says "Server error." and doesn't fill in any info.
^ This.

I looked into it a little closer, because I realized I was just querying the database for the disc info and not the track info, and I'm getting errors too. It finds the disc and reports back the disc title(s) and all that, but trying to read the track data gives a 530 Internal server error.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:25 PM

I'm also having this "Error - Server Error" reported by EAC, even with CDs that used to be recognized properly. halp~!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think I just fixed the problem. It's to do with ambiguous column names in the SQL query (I've been messing around with the database structure lately).

Thanks Zorbfish for pointing it out to me.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I think I just fixed the problem. It's do to with ambiguous column names in the SQL query (I've been messing around with the database structure lately).

Thanks Zorbfish for pointing it out to me.
Indeed, works fine again, thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:45 AM

Yes it is working fine now, thanks for that.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Simple it looks like some albums will not work if the tracktimes are precisely correct, mostly are albums with less than 8 tracks.
Problems like this one described sometime ago by me, finally has ended with the new system that the VGMDB released to the public today. Even though the problem still exists, the DiscID submission fixes it which is a good thing.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 05:21 PM

SaGa Frontier Original Sound Track - [SSCX-10009-3] - [1999] located at http://vgmdb.net/album/38

This is a good example, 21 tracks which in reality there are 20 tracks. The Media DiscID will never work on Disc 3 using Foobar but it will work using EAC. The Media DiscID works in foobar regardless of tracktimes but number of tracks need to match for the linear approach.

We must remove the pre-gap tracks from all Official Tracklists that matches this case. The pre-gap tracks should be left on the notes or make another trackfield for it before and separated from the Official Tracklist or another way could be list it with the track it belongs to in this case append it to track 01.

Edit:

Why do we have to remove pre-gaps from tracklists?

It is really simple, the DiscID submission is here to stay and that is an amazing feature VGMDB implemented. When some features are implemented other things need to be fixed for the new features to work well.

EAC would never retrieve the SaGa Frontier Original Sound Track Disc 3 without the Media DiscID implementation, now it does retrieve the Disc 3 info using its official DiscID but something on the tracklist is wrong. The Disc 3 contains 21 tracks with the pre-gap track. The pre-gap track as it stands is listed on the tracklist as track 01.

This is how EAC will look like after had retrieved the disc 3 info from VGMDB using the DiscID, just remember this is the Media DiscID not the Tracklist DiscID.

The info retrieved by EAC was just in the exact order it got from the VGMDB freedb server as you can see below.

Code:
01 Theme of Coon (Hidden Track) 2:12
02 Mosperiburg 3:12
03 Wakatu 3:28
04 Black X Base 2:14
05 Hell 4:05
06 The Ultimate Weapon 3:21
07 Never... 3:30
08 Last Battle -Asellus- 3:20
09 Last Battle -Blue- 3:36
10 Last Battle -Coon- 4:15
11 Last Battle -Red- 3:50
12 Last Battle -T260G- 4:29
13 Last Battle -Lute- 5:48
14 Last Battle -Emilia- 4:56
15 Lamox Beat (Ending -Coon-) 1:48
16 Destiny -A Law- (Ending -Blue-) 3:35
17 Dear My Country (Ending -Lute-) 2:04
18 Fight! R3X!! (Ending -Red-) 1:04
19 Like a Soumatoh, or a Lighthouse... (Ending -Asellus-) 5:17
20 Contented (Ending -Emilia-) 3:13
21 A Memory of Childhood (Ending -T260G-) 8:16
The last track was cut-off which means that 95% of the tracks were named incorrect. That is the reason we must remove and avoid this kind thing ever again.

Last edited by Metroid; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Problems like this one described sometime ago by me, finally has ended with the new system that the VGMDB released to the public today. Even though the problem still exists, the DiscID submission fixes it which is a good thing.
Reference for Foobar Users:

As stated many times in this thread EAC when set automatically creates a cue file and places the DISCID in a cue file as a field.

For the fix to work on Foobar the DISCID needs to be found, If the DISCID is not found by Foobar in the cue file then users need to create a field on the cue file like this "REM DISCID ********" where * is the DISCID. Also if the DISCID is not found by Foobar then Foobar will use the Tracklist DISCID.

I hope this reference will help Foobar users.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:39 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Just a heads-up: the upcoming revision to the way we store tracklists will allow for pre-gap tracks, but they'll be marked so that they don't get retrieved during freedb access.

Frame offsets will also be stored, which will allow for precise matching.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. This revision will be the next big thing for me. I have been waiting for this since VGMdb freedb was implemented, also a match case criteria for albums with pre-gap tracks would be great, something like tags would do.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I just tried to rip Disc 2 of Final Fantasy VII Original Sound Track (SQEX-10002) in EAC, and it seems that I'm only able to get the entries for SSCX-10003, SSCX-10004 and GM-220. Getting the entries for Disc 1 worked perfectly fine though... Anyone else had this problem? Is there any solution maybe?