VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:34 AM

Let's hope the two discs actually have justification to be two discs, unlike DQVIII...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:35 AM

DQXI didn't have so many new tracks right? Most of the music, from what i heard, it's from past games

Last edited by eduhunter; Jan 9, 2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduhunter View Post
DQXI didn't have so many new tracks right? Most of the music, from what i heard, it's from past games
Like literally every Dragon Quest game since I? lol
Old Jan 9, 2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Let's hope the two discs actually have justification to be two discs, unlike DQVIII...
There's a concert recording of XI's (original) music out there (same amount of tracks) and it clocks in at just slightly over 80 minutes.

As pointed out, the game reuses past DQ music heavily. But honestly, in this case, it's a blessing because the new material is pretty lacking.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Apparently his advanced age is becoming a major factor in writing new material (if it hasn't been before). Music for DQ games of the last few years have all basically just been reusing previous stuff more and more. But I would have still expected a major title (11th mainline, 30th series anniversary) to have had more original stuff.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:59 PM

It's still one of the bigger DQ soundtracks overall, in terms of original material. I think SE is trapped, in that they want more original music overall (in line with most average JRPGs) but they know that Sugiyama can't deliver that so they just reuse older music, especially for cutscene underscoring.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Apparently his advanced age is becoming a major factor in writing new material (if it hasn't been before). Music for DQ games of the last few years have all basically just been reusing previous stuff more and more. But I would have still expected a major title (11th mainline, 30th series anniversary) to have had more original stuff.
Is it less though? The full rip of the OST up on youtube right now seems to include 34 original tracks (not counting jingles), which is in line with the amount of music Sugiyama's always written for each DQ since III. The whole soundtrack is being supplemented with more reprise tracks from earlier games than have ever been included before, but the amount of original material doesn't seem to have gone down, at least from what I can tell.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 07:38 PM
Trusted Editor

Well I've yet to actually listen to the soundtrack, so I was assuming that the game had more arrangements from previous games than original stuff, per other's comments. In that case, it's about what I expected then. Recent spinoffs such as Builders and Heroes do however have a lack of original music, from what I can tell.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 05:43 AM

Heroes is especially silly in that it mixes both orchestral and synth tracks. I'll granted I'm only getting this from videos and not playing it myself but it's VERY jarring.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Heroes is especially silly in that it mixes both orchestral and synth tracks. I'll granted I'm only getting this from videos and not playing it myself but it's VERY jarring.
All of Heroes 1's music is Synth IIRC (I platinumed the game so I definitely heard it all too), haven't played 2 though so I can't comment on that one.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOV_Games View Post
All of Heroes 1's music is Synth IIRC (I platinumed the game so I definitely heard it all too), haven't played 2 though so I can't comment on that one.
Yup, DQH1 is all synth.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 04:16 AM

I'm pretty sure they could get a talented composer to write something similar to Sugiyama's music.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 06:00 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
I'm pretty sure they could get a talented composer to write something similar to Sugiyama's music.
The obvious choice would be Hayato Matsuo due to his close relationship with Sugiyama.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
The obvious choice would be Hayato Matsuo due to his close relationship with Sugiyama.
I have always thought the same thing. He's also an excellent orchestrator on his own.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:31 PM
Trusted Editor

- Added track times
- Typo correction M9
- Added Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra performers
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I just received my physical copy today.

Looking at packaging scans, I suppose I could add the booklet front and back. Inside the booklet, it's basically 50+ pages of sheet music. The first 3 pages are legit (tracklist, liner notes, etc), and the last page has the credits. Is it okay if I scan these and *only* these? Otherwise, that'd be quite the project... :P
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I just received my physical copy today.

Looking at packaging scans, I suppose I could add the booklet front and back. Inside the booklet, it's basically 50+ pages of sheet music. The first 3 pages are legit (tracklist, liner notes, etc), and the last page has the credits. Is it okay if I scan these and *only* these? Otherwise, that'd be quite the project... :P
I think the score pages aren't necessary. Thanks to EskimoWolf, some days ago I've uploaded the scans of previous Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest albums also without the sheet music. In fact, yourself scanned the Dragon Quest X album without the score pages.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 01:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

My memories are fading fast. Good call Revoc.

I'll get the few relevant pages scanned tonight.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 08:46 PM

Did they never release an OST for the original music? Only the orchestra album?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 04:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Nope, and I'm not sure why they would want to anyway, as the quality of the synthesized music is pretty bad for being a modern game.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 04:52 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't know why "a Determined" was changed to "Determination" when it's clearly printed in English on the scans. I've reverted it. It's not like it has an English release (lol scroogiyama). Source your changes / justify them, or don't make edits please.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 05:59 PM
VGMdb Staff

There is an English release. Judging by unboxing video, the change seems valid (other slight changes happened as well).

I guess the edit was made on the reprint's page without knowing it would show on the master release too. We should probably make a separate English tracklist for the reprint.

Last edited by Efendija; Dec 20, 2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:30 AM

I have the parent album (KICC-6365~6) and it has "Determination" rather than "a Determined" printed on the back of mine and in the booklet, as well as "Bringer of Doom" rather than "Bringer of the Doom." Don't know when they changed it or if they issued a statement anywhere that the original titles were a printing error.