VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
Argentis, I think you made a mistake here and in the notes: you credited Matsuo with 55 "Jahara - Land of the Garif" (actually Sakimoto) instead of 45 "Defying the Empire".
I've edited the notes.
Sorry - and thanks for correcting
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Here's the interview section:
"The opening and ending themes of Final Fantasy XII were meticulously composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto. He brought the scores to me in a form that were very close to those eventually performed. The only things I had to do were make sure the orchestrations were playable and synched to the picture. In the latter role, I probably had the most creative influence, since I received the opportunity to compose a new section for the opening theme."

So it is just the opening theme.
Thank you! Also a good insight from Matsuo. Sakimoto's MIDI files are indeed pretty much orchestra-ready.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 07:44 AM

I'm sharing the opinion of most people around here, but I have to mention that the string section of the VGMO sounds like an amateur orchestra and for me this truly distracts from the listening experience. While there's a handful of tracks that sound gorgeous and expressive like "Room of White", the whole album is plagued with intonation problems and the orchestra not playing together. For instance, "Clan Hall" is particularly atrocious at moments, and makes me wish I was listening to the synth original.

The VGMO is a great initiative and it's fantastic to see a group of young people working so enthusiastically on VGM but I think SE should stop hiring the ensemble, as this level of playing, in my opinion, is simply unacceptable for a professional soundtrack.

Actually it makes me really sad as FFXII is one of my favorite soundtracks ever written for a game, and I was looking forward so much to hear this remaster. Yet aside from a few tracks, I'll just go back to listen to the 2006 product. What a missed opportunity really...

Last edited by RemcoMK; Apr 23, 2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoMK View Post
For instance, "Clan Hall" is particularly atrocious at moments, and makes me wish I was listening to the synth original
Original Clan Hall sounded amazing back in 2006 and it still holds up quite well 11 years later. These "audio atrocities" seem a little too common in SQEX remastered HD game albums. I remember comparing KH 2 original with remastered 2.5 OSTs and finding tracks like a repetitive, but potent "Battleship Bravery" and even a more developed "Sacred Moon" much better in their PS2 counterparts then in PS3 / PS4.

To each his own, but some "remastered tracks" tend to mischaracterize the original's intentions.

Last edited by franzito; Aug 3, 2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:59 AM

Has anyone else noticed a weird phasing effect like a sweeping comb filter on several tracks? Listening to track 81, The Forgotten City, now for example and I hear it around the start of the loop, but there are others. It's surely too crude to be a deliberate special effect, and doesn't seem in keeping with the goal of 'real orchestra' sound for this album, so I wonder if something technically weird happened during the recording/mixing/mastering?

EDIT: The tracks I've noticed this on so far...

55 Jahara - Land of the Garif
81 The Forgotten City
92 Ascent (2nd loop only)

Last edited by student41269; Aug 26, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 01:07 PM

Have to say this: I listened to some pieces and hated it!
It cannot capture the brilliance of the original one IMO...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Credits for the bonus disc from Basiscape's site: http://www.basiscape.com/works_cd2017.html

Quote:
 Exclusive ArrangementsCD
崎元(サウンドプロデュース・作曲)
渡邊(サウンドディレクション・編曲)
菊池(編曲・マスタリング)
Yukinori Kikuchi only mentions that he did the "electronica arrange" of the first track (and all mastering): http://greair.jp/works

Quote:
・7月13日発売のゲーム 『FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE』 (SQUARE ENIX/PS4) のサウンドトラック、7月19日発売の「FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Original Soundtrack 初回限定盤【映像付サントラ/Blu-ray Disc Music】 Limited Edition」

に含まれる Special Arrangement CD の 全曲マスタリングと、 「THE ZODIAC AGE Music Box Arrangement」 (エレクトロニカ編曲)で参加しました。
So presumably the rest is all Rikako Watanabe, unless someone outside of Basiscape was involved too.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 05:01 AM

I have noticed that some songs in the official digital distributions of this OST have audio peaking in them. The songs I have noticed this in are "I Give You My Word" and "The Cerobi Steppe". I have checked multiple distributors including SE's official site and they all have the same issue. I have ripped the music myself from the steam version and the peaking is not present.

Example of audio peaking in The Cerobi Steppe from the OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wqNts4Xvj0&t=2568s

Example of how the game rip sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe07eH0lmCA&t=68s

I do not own a physical copy of the OST to check if it is present there; if someone is able to I would be grateful. I have a feeling someone at SE screwed up somewhere along the line.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
I have noticed that some songs in the official digital distributions of this OST have audio peaking in them...
Wouldn't be the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
If this is about Square Enix, then the zipped MP3 files you "download" from the disc are usually superior to high-resolution (upscaled, actually) Blu-Ray Audio. There are some obvious examples such as Final Fantasy X HD, and the first Final Fantasy XIV soundtrack.
Not sure if the MP3 version here is free of the defect though.