VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
Trusted Editor

They don't have CD text of any kind, they're just labeled "Omake..." at the bottom of the tracklist on the back of the case.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm putting up packaging scans now. Indeed, on the back of disc 9 there's just a vague (and hinting) "Omake" written at the bottom right after track 30. I'm currently ripping the discs to see their contents now. Will be getting this sorted out tonight and into tomorrow. I'll be looking very thoroughly for all hidden crap.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's no precedent for this sort of packaging, so just invent your own scan captions. "Box" and "Assembly Box" or something.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
There's no precedent for this sort of packaging, so just invent your own scan captions. "Box" and "Assembly Box" or something.

I ended up using "Box" for the outer box and "Case" for the one you assemble. Since it acts very much like a case. An accordion case, really.

Getting the individual disc/sleeve images up now. My uploading went kaput a bit ago, so I restarted modem. Let's see how it goes now!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

OKAY!!! Packaging scans are complete. Looks like about 80 images in total. Tomorrow, using the natural sunlight (important for shiny box stuff), I will take a few photos of the finished assembled product and how it operates and put two or three photos up as well, if that's okay.

Some notes:

1) almost all of the images are JPEGs saved at max quality (12 on the 1-12 Photoshop JPEG scale). However, some of the images had dimensions so large and such detial in the image that the max filesize was reached for uploading images here. Specifically, the image "Display" (which is the beautiful artwork thing) is saved at quality 8 "High" instead of 12 "Max."

2) A few pieces of the packaging were simply too large dimensionally for my scanner and I had to manually merge them in photoshop. Chief among them are the Display image (there it is again), the box front, and the box "top" and "bottom." If you look closely, you can tell based on light/dark contrast where the merge takes place (across 100 pixel feather). I worked VERY hard to make sure everything lined up, had to do a lot of rotating in Photoshop to get it right.

3) My scanner is pretty dusty behind the glass. This usually isn't a problem, but when you put it up against BLACK SHINY IMAGES it becomes really bad. So the outer box, as well as the "back" images for each disc, have some dusty stuff on them. Please forgive me!

4) The "Case" (which is the assembled box) has some reflective surfaces on it that do not show up AT ALL via scanner. Hence why I'll be taking some photos.

Y'all can thank me later. :P

I'm about to go to bed. Tomorrow I'll be ripping the CDs and confirming track/disc times, as well as what all the bonus tracks are. If there's "Omake" on disc 9 (first disc of SaGa Frontier), does that mean that track 0 on disc 11 (third disc of SaGa Frontier) has been moved, or are these Omake tracks IN ADDITION TO that secret track? I don't know yet. Will find out tomorrow.

Thanks for joining me on the journey, everyone!

Ramza
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the scans, Ramza. May very well be the most scans for a single album I've seen on this site.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You're welcome.

Okay, so I'm up to disc 12 in ripping to my computer. Here's the deal:

1) Disc 9, the seven "Omake" tracks ... I don't know what they are. Looks like previously unreleased stuff. But some of the melodies sounded familiar. I'm not sure if these are like, "alternate versions of other songs" or what. Most of the tracks are short: 30 to 45 seconds. One of them is 2 minutes though.

2) Disc 11 (disc 3 of SaGa Frontier OST) still has the track 0 "Theme of Coon" on it.

Will be continuing to plow through this thing. Will let you know if any other surprises creep up.

Ramza
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Okay, that looks like it's it. Everything else seems to be normal, no hidden bonuses. Checked for other "track 0" pre-track stuff on every disc, found nothing.

The DVD is 28 minutes of the composers (as well as Akitoshi Kawazu, the series mastermind, and that female illustrator whose name I always forget) talking about each entry of the series.

Photos coming soon.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Some of the disc and track times are really off here. I'll have to come back to this later (or if someone else owning the box could do so, that'd be FANTASTIC). Disc five is especially bad: the total disc time is 72 minutes. Track 28 of that disc is 8 minutes long, and someone put in the notation that it's like, 12 seconds long. hmmm...

Ramza
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A 20-disc entry is painful to add/edit. Please be indulgent.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm not mad at whoever did the original inputs. Just want to make sure it's all accurate. I'll get to it someday if no one else does.

Also, just put up photos (as promised). There are three of them, and they demonstrate the relative size of the assembled case, and how it "unfolds" so you can easily access all 21 discs.

It was quite the enormous "do it yourself" packaging project. Just assembling that case took an hour, and that was with my wife's help on folding the little sleeves. The end result is really clever though.

Ramza
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Pff, only bad thing about this boxset what I can see that they don't give composer breakdown credits at all. Atleast what I quickly saw from the scans. Lazy Square Enix.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 05:32 PM

It's actually taking me DAYS just to listen to this whole thing. I'm currently on disc 11, the 3rd disc of SaGa Frontier.

When I saw that it came with instructions on how to assemble the box, I was really surprised. I'd assumed it was just a packaged box with the discs in there. They really got fancy with this baby.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Pff, only bad thing about this boxset what I can see that they don't give composer breakdown credits at all. Atleast what I quickly saw from the scans. Lazy Square Enix.
They don't give TRACK breakdowns, but they DO break it down by disc. They will only list composers that worked on music for the disc ("back" images for each cardboard sleeve). And if it says "original music by Nobuo Uematsu" on the disc, that means "Wipe Your Tears Away" and/or "The Legend Begins" is on the disc, since he wrote those melodies in the very first SaGa.

But most of the games are done by one composer in terms of composition. The only exceptions are SaGa 3 (split between Sasai and that other dude) and Minstrel Song (where Sekito added some music on his own).

Ramza
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just had a listen to the extra tracks on disc 9. It's been a long while since I played the game so this is from memory...

Track 31: Don't recognise/remember this.
Track 32: Don't recognise/remember this.
Track 33: Contains a short melody from T-260G's final boss battle theme. I'm pretty sure this song was played in-game (in his scenario).
Track 34: "Pursuit" theme. Song was played in-game.
Track 35: Same as above.
Track 36: Pretty sure this song was played in Lute's scenario. Probably involves the ship.
Track 37: Song was played in Blue's scenario in the region-selection screen where you choose which region you want to teleport to.

Most or all of the above songs (as well as most or all of the soundtrack) can be accessed from the jukebox in the developer's room(s) after completing all of the character's scenarios.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Track 37: Song was played in Blue's scenario in the region-selection screen where you choose which region you want to teleport to.
YES!

I knew that one was familiar to me. That's exactly what it is.

Now if only titles existed for these songs.

Like you said, some of the songs are cut up versions of longer songs that were used in shorter sequences in the game (like the T260G track).

I suspect they're all in the Jukebox from the SaGa Frontier awesome ending. And IF THEY ARE, that means they'd have track titles right? And if that's the case, has anyone made a game rip from the Jukebox using those track titles?! Because then we'd have names for these songs.

Ramza
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
They don't give TRACK breakdowns, but they DO break it down by disc. They will only list composers that worked on music for the disc ("back" images for each cardboard sleeve). And if it says "original music by Nobuo Uematsu" on the disc, that means "Wipe Your Tears Away" and/or "The Legend Begins" is on the disc, since he wrote those melodies in the very first SaGa.
Atleast they do that, but I'm always annoyed when they don't give complete credits, even if we have this site to help with stuff. But then, boxsets rarely seem to give nothing more than credits per disc / game.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Atleast they do that, but I'm always annoyed when they don't give complete credits, even if we have this site to help with stuff. But then, boxsets rarely seem to give nothing more than credits per disc / game.

They did put the composer breakdown in the official site though, in the "music list" section.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s.../saga20th_box/
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:07 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
They did put the composer breakdown in the official site though, in the "music list" section.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s.../saga20th_box/
They also did make OP/ED and Theme lists and other lists under the genre part, really sad that they didn't put those to the booklet itself. But still, nice feature on the site.

Edit:
Got hold of those Omake tracks from disc 9, and seems that they've been included in psf-rip set. And that set has them named, and the names have been taken from the jukebox directly:
31 - Tears of joy
32 - Finale
33 - Robot 2
34 - Pursuit
35 - Pursuit 2
36 - March
37 - Travelling regions

Last edited by razakin; Sep 6, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 06:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

WELL DONE SIR!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:48 PM

Haha, Ramza, I think that has to be the most ridiculous thing ever. Awesome that you did it, but what in the hell inspried you to scan all of it?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Haha, Ramza, I think that has to be the most ridiculous thing ever. Awesome that you did it, but what in the hell inspried you to scan all of it?
Yeah, I'd also like to know. That's nearly 90 scans!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Having spent over $200 on it would be plenty of incentive
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

He'd probably never touch the packaging again =)
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:54 AM

Just received my copy today and it's a great looking set...

My only complaint is that they have resorted to using cardboard sleeves for each disc, which has led me to transfer all my discs to jewel cases for better storage...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Can somebody please label the hidden tracks on the tracklist?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:03 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd readd the fix the tracklists but I'm not sure how to handle track 0 on disc 11, I think it's kind of wrong to just label it as 01. Any ideas?

Last edited by Dag; Sep 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:07 PM

I'm curious if the music in this is identical to the original soundtracks? Not remastered or anything like that.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 03:41 AM

Here's complete information on the Extra/Omake tracks:

Song track titles as written in the in-game sound mode and where track is played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Essence of Saga Frontier
涙あふれて - アセルス編:炎の従騎士戦後
ファンファーレ - 秘術の資質修得時
メカ2 - 開発2部
追跡 - レッド編・シンロウ&ブラックレイ / エミリア編・シンロウ
追跡2 - レッド編・武器密売発見 / リュート編・艦隊戦
マーチ - ビクトリア
リージョン移動 - リージョン移動画面
Source: Studio Bentstuff, THE ESSENCE OF SaGa FRONTIER (1997), Pages 320-321, ISBN4-89366-895-1.

English translation of above.

Overflowing Tears - Asellus scenario: after battle with Lesser Knight of Flame.
Fanfare - Learning/understanding a secret art/technique.
Mecha 2 - Development 2 Team.
Pursuit - Red scenario: Shingrow & Black Ray / Emilia scenario: Shingrow.
Pursuit 2 - Red scenario: weapons/arms smuggling discovery / Lute scenario: naval battle.
March - Victoria.
Region Movement - region movement screen.

And for comparison purposes, here again are the song track titles as written in the in-game sound mode (English version).

Tears of Joy
Finale
Robot 2
Pursuit
Pursuit 2
March
Travelling regions
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I'd readd the fix the tracklists but I'm not sure how to handle track 0 on disc 11, I think it's kind of wrong to just label it as 01. Any ideas?
For a track 0, just put it in the notes for now. You know, it might be good to enhance VGMdb to allow for track numbers less than 1, as there are other cases of this sort of thing happening.