VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:36 AM

Somebody got an "early" copy...or is an overzealous fanatic.

Amusing.

Last edited by 413/0; Aug 19, 2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Belated, syntax edit.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:59 AM

Main site updated, have a look at it.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:42 PM

Alright, Pokemon branding! Fuck.

RED & GREEN: While the final material bears the Aka/Midori/Ao kanji, the games themselves and the prerelease material for Aka and Midori just say "Red Version"/"Green Version"/"Blue Version"; all the English localization really did was replace the original logo with the new "Western Pokemon" logo, match the Red and Green Pokemon to the Blue code, and replace the Japanese script with an English one. So, "Pocket Monsters <X> Version". If someone wants to toss in a "(Pokémon)" beside that, go for it.

GOLD & SILVER: This one's a bit obscure and I'm not sure how I want to handle it. Unlike the first games, you normally can't find anything but the Kin and Gin kanji anywhere. However, playing the games with the Super Game Boy does produce a "POCKET MONSTERS GOLD/SILVER VERSION", which likely carries over to Pocket Monsters' Stadium Kin Gin. While that probably destroys my "no hidden translations" rule, so does upholding hidden romanizations... (cough touhou hu[ma/jin]roku cough) argh, I hate 10 different standards fighting over each other. And yes, I know Nintendo and Game Freak prefer to just call them Gold/Silver and GS in general, but it's not my fault or anyone else's that they named them the way they did (they should have done what they did with the previous games, or... not use kanji to begin with...).

RUBY & SAPPHIRE (and onwards): Here, they changed the branding, and have continued to use this branding since. The logo bears the "Pocket Monsters" katakana, but "Pokémon" is clearly written under it, and as you can see with the various albums they stick with it as well. Basically Pocket Monsters got relegated to a katakana-only thing. Further, the localizations always stick an extra "Version" at the end where the originals do not (so "Pokémon Emerald" becomes "Pokémon Emerald Version"). This is my argument against using "Pocket Monsters" for pretty much anything beyond the Kin and Gin era, but there are a few questions here and there that I can't answer yet...

Aside from that, I would recommend against trying to include every game that a newer game might feature music from, with few exceptions: HG/SS clearly features some music from the original, for example (if it sounds different, I don't know/forgot). Also, Emerald and Platinum (and Crystal?) are not on any of these soundtracks afaik; they have never gotten soundtrack releases (not that they had much), and probably won't for a long time.

edit: Ah, I forgot that X and Y are changing the branding slightly. New Japanese logo, localizations no longer have "Version"... the name should be the same across all regions for these version! Great, now I just gotta explain this entire post to Wikipedia and Bulbapedia.

Last edited by Despatche; Sep 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:29 AM

@Despatche I did some overhauling of all the Pokemon albums in general, this thread might interest you.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:24 AM

This is going to be simply wonderful !!

* now that they have promised that the 3DS/XL can produce "FLAC-tier" sounds *

It looks like they don't have to hold back in the sound department anymore.

I am very confident that every pokemon fan will own and love their hard/digital copy of this soundtrack !!

Nintendo Switch friend code : SW-3584-5726-8593 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube
Old Oct 7, 2013, 04:16 AM

This album to contain 5 bonus tracks originating from the Origin OVA

source.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 06:32 PM

is go ichinose not part of the sound team? I couldn't find him in the credits, and he isn't listed under the composition team... It's a great soundtrack and all, but maybe what I felt missing was Ichinose. Pretty weird, wonder why he wasn't a part of this one?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:31 AM
Trusted Editor

who's listed in the credits anyway?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
is go ichinose not part of the sound team? I couldn't find him in the credits, and he isn't listed under the composition team... It's a great soundtrack and all, but maybe what I felt missing was Ichinose. Pretty weird, wonder why he wasn't a part of this one?
I think it's not the only reason, but he was very attached to development of Soriti Horse (here is translated interwiev with him and two another developers http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/16...ak-developers/) and he composed music for that game (sample of soundtrack is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfS0lgdMqs4).

I miss his music, too. He's my favourite Game Freak composer. Yes, XY is still great soundtrack, but with him it would be better. First two tracks from that link from Soriti Horse are great examples why he is amazing. That jazz should be in Pokémon.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I didn't figure out where he'd been until recently too—shame that he couldn't do at least a few tracks for the new Pokémon soundtrack.

His presence is sorely missed! Kageyama and Sato can only hold their own so long before they begin to repeat themselves—Ichinose's definitely better at avoiding his own excesses, and his style's more interesting to listen to anyway. Adachi really carries X/Y's score, just judging by the style and conspicuous return of actually-developed trainer eyecatches. Hearing Masuda arrange his battle tunes after only composing last gen is interesting, however shaky that turns out. And, despite my tendency to deflate the other Game Freak musicians next to Ichinose, this soundtrack's a surprisingly solid set, no doubt in due part to the upgraded overall sample quality.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicorii View Post
I miss his music, too. He's my favourite Game Freak composer. Yes, XY is still great soundtrack, but with him it would be better. First two tracks from that link from Soriti Horse are great examples why he is amazing. That jazz should be in Pokémon.
Exactly how I feel. Still at least he got to write music for something ~ the Soriti Horse music sounds great.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:13 AM

I wonder if and when Game Freak's going to arrange an album release of music from Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight, and Soriti Horse. The former and latter soundtracks belong mostly to Ichinose, but HarmoKnight's a combined effort from Minako Adachi and her old friends still working at PURE SOUND. Excellent work overall, and more likely for canonization than (unfortunately) Ichinose's scores for Click Medic and Bazaru de Gozaru.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 04:23 AM

Still hoping for at least a PSF rip of Click Medic some day. Didn't even know about Bazaru before... that seems pretty impossible to track down too.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 05:31 AM

We're fortunate to have footage on NNDouga of Bazaru at all. The former would be an easy rip, but the latter requires some work.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonEnRegalia View Post
His presence is sorely missed! Kageyama and Sato can only hold their own so long before they begin to repeat themselves—Ichinose's definitely better at avoiding his own excesses, and his style's more interesting to listen to anyway. Adachi really carries X/Y's score, just judging by the style and conspicuous return of actually-developed trainer eyecatches. Hearing Masuda arrange his battle tunes after only composing last gen is interesting, however shaky that turns out.
How do you know what everyone composed and arranged before release of album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonEnRegalia View Post
Hearing Masuda arrange his battle tunes after only composing last gen is interesting, however shaky that turns out.
This is what i I thought. That explain why some arrangements of battle themes are too simple and sooo boooring...:/ Especially Trainer Battle and Rival Battle.
For me battle themes are probably the weakest part of this score. They need more originality and diversity.

I watched some episodes of XY anime (despite I don't like it, though XY anime looks better than I thought, still not really great, but better) out of curiosity, mainly for music and Shinji Miyzaki's arrangements of battle themes sound a lot better, especially Rival Battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Exactly how I feel. Still at least he got to write music for something ~ the Soriti Horse music sounds great.
Of course. Soriti Horse looks like funny game and it deserves good music. I wanted to hear more his non-Pokémon music (I know Drill Dozer). Just the shame that at the expense of his role on XY score.
I found long interwiev in Japanese where Go Ichinose was called lead desinger (and sound desinger of course) for Soriti Horse http://gigazine.net/news/20130801-solitiba/.

Go Ichinose gone from XY sound team, but at least someone from my country works at Game Freak as concept artist (and he designed some characters for XY) I mean Rafał Gosieniecki http://jp.linkedin.com/pub/rafal-gosieniecki/26/bbb/71 (in the credits Polish letter "ł" in his name was replaced with "l").
Old Nov 2, 2013, 06:19 AM

I'm guessing, lol. Kageyama and Masuda both compose and arrange in distinctive ways, as does Ichinose.

Ichinose actually did design work in the past on Tajiri's last big project, Bushi Seiryuuden for the SFC. So seeing him return to this area of game development is some excitement for sure. He could very well be the next Sugimori or something, since lotsa folks at Game Freak can now get together and make games big and small.

I noticed Rafał in the credits, which is very neat too.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:21 PM

I have found a website about the composers and arrangers !
Hope that they are official.

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/works/20520589.html
Old Nov 27, 2013, 09:10 PM

Tracks 51 and 74 on Disc 4 were composed by Hitomi Sato, not Shota Kageyama. This comes from the CD booklet.

Last edited by kr3nshaw; Nov 27, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 04:13 PM

edited the notes section in "user friendly" mode.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:37 AM

Can someone tell me what's in the booklet ? Musical inspirations? It's for research, if someone wanna send me the scan :,)..