VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I dunno if it has to be "one way or another" though. There's some references that fit the original Japanese titles quite nicely, some not so much. Maybe if we narrow down the list of what you guys regard as iffy tracktitles, that's something we can work off from.
Just rereading this topic now, I agree with you. I feel that if a literature reference serves also as a reasonable direct translation, there's two good reasons for it to be used in the English tracklist. Ex.: "Time Enough for Love", "The Penultimate Truth", etc. We should definitely embrace these cases. Direct translations will serve fine for the rest.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:59 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to update that one...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:27 AM

Is there any difference between this one and the U.S. one? The track times strongly suggest so, especially track 36. At first glance of these two albums, it looks like there is practically an entirely different song on the Japanese version we weren't getting on the U.S. version.

Last edited by Ryker; Jan 13, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:24 AM

I ALWAYS look for Japanese albums over US / EU releases. The only time I will buy a US release is if there isn't a Japanese release.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:34 PM

Got my answer looking around online, only the track names and packaging are different between the U.S. and Japanese versions, so the track time differences here are just erroneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
I ALWAYS look for Japanese albums over US / EU releases. The only time I will buy a US release is if there isn't a Japanese release.
For me it would depend on the content. Obviously, if they're exactly the same music-wise, why would I buy the Japanese version, with a bunch of characters on it I can't read? I'd naturally take the version in my own language. However, if I'm getting more music out of the Japanese version, then I'd definitely buy that one.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:53 AM

A bunch of edits for Seiken Densetsu 2&3 changed オリジナル・サウンド・ヴァージョン to オリジナル サウンド ヴァージョン. While this is a cosmetic edit which is sometimes up to editors, it contradicts what's printed on every Obi, so I'll reject all of them.

EDIT: some edits were to correct バ which had to be ヴァ, and that's right and approved.

Last edited by Cedille; Mar 7, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 04:50 AM

Square Enix is running a Twitter campaign to vote for tracks to be included on an apparent arranged album. Here's a relevant tweet from Kikuta. If you follow the link, you'll see a tracklist with an embedded player. You can use the button on the side of a track to tweet your vote.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 06:17 AM

to thwart that (dumb) idea, people should vote for 16 tracks from genesis ;p

because, I feel that idea a way to say "sorry fans but we won't make a sd2 psv ost like adventures of mana ost, but for consoling you, we propose another useless arranged album just to dissatisfy all of you because we have no respect for you all but for your cash"
Old Nov 5, 2017, 07:38 AM

Hm? The fact they are doing an arrange album doesn't mean there won't be an OST, or does it???

Anyway, Genesis was very disapointing, so I'm looking forward to whatever this transforms into.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Square Enix is running a Twitter campaign to vote for tracks to be included on an apparent arranged album. Here's a relevant tweet from Kikuta. If you follow the link, you'll see a tracklist with an embedded player. You can use the button on the side of a track to tweet your vote.
And here are the results: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201711/16146219.html

Quote:
第5位 危機 654票
第4位 少年は荒野をめざす 673票
第3位 予感 808票
第2位 子午線の祀り 1364票
第1位 天使の怖れ 1427票
Pretty agreeable response. "Angel's Fear" in top spot is of course a very memorable and nostalgic song. "Meridian Festival" is one of the best final boss songs of all time. "Prophesy" is a wonderful second world map theme filled with mystery and intrigue, perhaps slightly oriental too (to my ears at least). "The Boy Heads for the Wilderness" is also quite a nostalgic field song. I'm surprised that the boss theme "Crisis" made it into the top 5. I'd say it's a pretty experimental song (by RPG soundtrack standards) that is more of an acquired taste. Do y'all Westerners like that song as much as the Japanese do?

Here's my top 5:

1. 八点鐘 (The Eight Strokes of the Bell) - Unique song that is only played in the Ice Palace and sounds just as cold.
2. 子午線の祀り (Meridian Festival).
3. 愛に時間を (Time Enough for Love).
4. 予感 (Prophesy).
5. 暗黒星 (The Dark Star) - Never noticed this before but I like how the song rises similar to how the final shrine (where the song is played) rises from underwater.

I was going to do an "Honourable Mentions" but I'll just end up listing the entire soundtrack.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
I'm surprised that the boss theme "Crisis" made it into the top 5. I'd say it's a pretty experimental song (by RPG soundtrack standards) that is more of an acquired taste. Do y'all Westerners like that song as much as the Japanese do?
Can only speak for myself of course, but I would answer with yes, so I'm glad it's there. Back in the days I didn't noticed the experimentality about it anyway, because the parts that would stick more into the head where the melodic elemts in the second half.

Anyway I always loved the boss battles in SoM because of this track playing.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 03:54 PM

You can hear the arrangements here:
https://youtu.be/eM_q-JpPae0?t=2033
Old Nov 17, 2017, 04:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I'm surprised that the boss theme "Crisis" made it into the top 5. I'd say it's a pretty experimental song (by RPG soundtrack standards) that is more of an acquired taste. Do y'all Westerners like that song as much as the Japanese do?
Crisis is my favorite song in the game. I like Kikuta the best when he goes prog.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
You can hear the arrangements here:
https://youtu.be/eM_q-JpPae0?t=2033
I didn't think the remake was getting new arrangements. These are far synthier than I'd prefer. Wish they went in a more acoustic direction like they did for Adventures of Mana.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
And here are the results
Examining it more closely, actually there seems to be a misunderstanding. This particular survey/campaign had nothing to do with any planned arranged album. The point was to vote on songs, and the song that was in top spot would be personally arranged by Hiroki Kikuta into a physical music box (i.e. orgel) format. 10 lucky voters would receive one of them.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 04:25 PM

Added "Secret of Mana Original Sound Version" as an alternate title for this and all the Japanese reprints. Ridiculous that searching the localized name didn't bring this album up before.