VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Among VGM's five billion unsolved mysteries are the identities of a bunch of folks who composed for Compile. Sure, we have a good handle on a bunch of them, like Katsumi Tanaka and Toshiaki Sakoda, but there are still a lot of weird names in there like BA.M and Jolly-T and PRO SUGAR.

While trying to figure out who these guys are, I've run across this page a few times: http://ragospi.blog40.fc2.com/?m&no=188. It has a giant list of sound guys and games they worked on, along with aliases. The thing is that it's majorly unsourced and it's the only page that makes a lot of these artist-alias connections, so it's totally unclear to me how much of this is reliable. Some of the names listed even have question marks after them. But hey, I kind of feel like translating it for some reason.

So I'll group these into lists. What I choose as the header may not necessarily be the composer's real name. I'll put the questionable aliases I couldn't corroborate in red.

Masatomo Miyamoto
  • MYAMO (みゃあも / みゃーも)
  • MIYATO: Speculated.

Takeshi Santo
  • SHANTO (しゃんと): Also seen as SHANT. This is widely agreed to be Takeshi, but I've recently learned there's a Yasue Santo (山藤 靖江) who composed for a few Compile games and has more sound roles under her name than Takeshi does under his. "Take Shant" is credited for music in the MSX version of Golvellius, so it still seems a little more likely to me that Shant is Takeshi, not Yasue. UPDATE (2013-12-02): Both SHANTO and Yasue Santo are apparently credited for sound in Shin Maou Golvellius, so SHANTO should = Takeshi: http://www13.atwiki.jp/game_staff/pa...ml#id_1559c566.

SHIN-KUN
  • no aliases given

Atarashi (あたらし)
  • Atarashi Nikki (アタラシ日記): This seems pretty obvious, but it's marked with a question mark.
  • He's not listed on the page, but there's a Hideyuki Atarashi who's worked as a programmer on a few Sonic Team games, including Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary. This may be a coincidence.

Sydon? Inoue (井上 志純)
  • SYDN
  • The page doesn't list it, but "SYDON" is listed as a composer for Blazing Lazers. Sydon would be a pretty weird reading of 志純, but that's a pretty weird name itself.

Keiji Takeuchi (竹内 啓史)
  • TAKEUCHI

Toshiaki Sakoda
  • Mr. Sakoda (Mr.迫田)
  • Miss Sakoda (Miss迫田)
  • Mrs.SAKODA
  • Pro Golfer Sakoda (プロゴルファーさこだ)
  • T. Sakoda (てぃ・迫田)

Masanobu Tsukamoto
  • MATS: Confirmed on his homepage.
  • Motomi Wada (和田 素輝美): Ditto.
  • PIPPCKE MATS
  • MONK YUZO
  • T.M.: Speculative. These initials also fit Tsuyoshi Matsushima, and maybe even Tomoki Minami (see BA.M).

Einosuke Nagao
  • 失礼マン長尾 (Shitsurei Man Nagao?)
  • Akiyoshi Nagao (長尾 亮利): Real name, confirmed by correspondence.
  • がおう / がおー (Gaou?)

Tsuyoshi Matsushima
  • T. Matsushima (T.松嶋)
  • MATSUSHIMA
  • Tsuyoshi "PSG-FACTORY" Matsushima (松島"PSG-FACTORY"剛史)
  • マッチーーー (Macchiiii?)

BA.M
  • Tomonori Minami (南 智紀): Real name, confirmed by correspondence with Nobuaki Yamasaki.
  • Dr.G
  • Nobuo Ohbayashi (大林 信男) / OHBAYASHI: Another realish looking name. Reading of "Nobuo" is highly likely but I'm not sure where I got it from. "OHBAYASHI" appears in the credits of Puyo Puyo Tsu Ketteiban.

Toshie Oya (大矢知恵) (reading)
Satoshi Shimazaki
Katsumi Tanaka
  • MIGHTY.K: Based on this, Tanaka may also be "Mighty K-David" (and therefore also perhaps "David-1" in the credits of Cyber Knight). However, Mighty K-David is credited with guitar, an instrument I'm not sure Tanaka plays, here: http://vgmdb.net/album/2404.

Koji Onari
  • Superkenta (スーパーけん太 / スーパーけんた / すーぱーけん太)

Nobuaki Yamasaki
  • TAISHOW: Credited as "Nobuaki 'TAISHOW' Yamasaki" on this album: http://vgmdb.net/album/2404.
  • POLIGON JUNKKEY (ポリゴンジャンキー): Speculated.
  • Floppy Disco: Speculated. Yamasaki contributed to the "Floppy Disco Remix" on this album: http://vgmdb.net/album/8450. "Remixing" was credited solely to Katsumi Tanaka, though.

Kazuaki Nagai (永井 一明)
  • PRO SUGAR / PRO-SUGER (プロシュガー)

Osamu Ishikawa
Keita Haga
  • Qta Haga (芳賀 Q太)
  • KATE

Makoto Mano (真野 誠)
  • 他一名 (I don't even know what to do with this)

多和田吉宏 (reading unknown: Yoshihiro Tawada?)
  • Jolly T / Jolly-T: Speculated.

• no aliases given

Seiichi Takamoto (Solidtune profile confirms he worked for Compile)
  • no aliases given

青木諒 (reading unknown: Ryo Aoki?)
  • No aliases are given, but she currently goes by Rondo Rikudo.

Junichi Yoshida
  • Zuniti

Daisuke Nagata
  • もっちり (Mocchiri?)

Kou Hayashi
  • Rink0 (りんこう): Rink0 is marked with a question mark, but りんこう isn't. It's pretty straightforward to read Hayashi's name as りんこう.

Shigeharu Imano
  • no aliases given

Fumiaki Kawashima (川嶋 文明)
  • トムヤム君 (Tomuyamu-kun?): Speculated.

Last edited by CHz; Mar 30, 2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added source for Toshie Oya's reading
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Slight update: the correct reading of 南智紀 is Tomonori Minami, according to Taishow Soulwax (Nobuaki Yamasaki).
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Neat. Did he confirm that that's BA.M's real name, too?

I haven't really researched any of these people all that much since I translated the list last year, so I don't have anything to add myself. Most of the sources of the info remain mysterious.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Neat. Did he confirm that that's BA.M's real name, too?
yup. this info has been around for awhile but I forgot to post it. :P
Old Dec 2, 2013, 06:37 AM

I'm wondering who "Civic Shinkun" is from Tombs & Treasure. The Famicom version credits him as シビック しんくん (Same translation).
Old Dec 2, 2013, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Probably the same "Shin-kun" who's credited for sound effects in Xevious: Fardraut Saga (MSX2) and sound in Aleste (MSX) and Shin Maou Golvellius (MSX2).

The only guess I have among known Compile sound people is Masakatsu Maekawa, because he's gone by "Shinkon Kiyoshi," but "Shin-kun" is kind of an indistinct nickname that could be an abbreviation of a bunch of common Japanese names, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that guess. ignore this paragraph, I need to verify the things I say before saying them

Last edited by CHz; Dec 2, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:15 PM

Did Maekawa ever work for Compile? He told me himself that he started at Now Production in 1988, and was there until he started Music Worx in 1994, though I suppose it's possible he was at Compile before that.

Also, he usually went by Senkan Kiyoshi, from what I've seen.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ohhhh yeah you're right, I was mixing up developers for a couple of games. Not sure why I thought Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu in particular was a Compile game when it's totally not. I should probably look things up before typing them.

(And yeah, Maekawa had a lot of "______ Kiyoshi" aliases. The Kiyoshi bit was the important common ground, not Shinkon.)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:40 PM

Maekawa joined NowPro after graduating from university.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsquarewave View Post
Did Maekawa ever work for Compile? He told me himself that he started at Now Production in 1988, and was there until he started Music Worx in 1994, though I suppose it's possible he was at Compile before that.

Also, he usually went by Senkan Kiyoshi, from what I've seen.
Whoa, you are in touch with Masakatsu? There are a few things I wanted to ask him about his NES music but I have no idea where to find him. If you could help me get a hold of him or ask for me I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I believe there is a Shin-kun credited in Super Bases Loaded 3 for SNES. I wonder if it's the same person (probably not since it's by TOSE).

Last edited by Doommaster1994; Dec 2, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doommaster1994 View Post
Whoa, you are in touch with Masakatsu? There are a few things I wanted to ask him about his NES music but I have no idea where to find him. If you could help me get a hold of him or ask for me I'd really appreciate it!
This was many years ago, through an email found on the Music Worx website. I believe CRV over at GDRI dug it up; he might be a better person to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doommaster1994 View Post
Also, I believe there is a Shin-kun credited in Super Bases Loaded 3 for SNES. I wonder if it's the same person (probably not since it's by TOSE).
If it's a sound credit, that might be Shinji Amagishi.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:00 PM

My mistake, the name was シビックん (Civic-kun).
Also, that's too bad about Maekawa.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 04:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

SHIN-KUN is apparently S. Kondo, per this Aleste cassette: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=78758. (Game credits are for MIYAMO, SHANTO, and SHIN-KUN, tape credits are for M. Miyamoto, T. Santo, and S. Kondo).

Your guess is as good as mine for their full name. Only remote possibility I could find is programmer Shigemi Kondo, but Shigemi doesn't really fit SHIN-KUN and they appear to have been working for SOFEL in 1988, not Compile.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 04:13 AM

Very interesting! The same staff worked on Tombs & Treasure (Shin-kun is Civic Shin-kun). I am in touch with a couple staff members from Compile. I haven't spoke to them in a long time. I was asking one of them who composed Gorby no Pipeline Daisakusen but they couldn't tell me. Not sure if it they weren't legally allowed to or if they didn't know. Their response sounded more like the latter.

Credits screenshots from Tombs & Treasure:
USA: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/..._-_Credits.png
Japan: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/..._-_Credits.png