VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 22, 2017, 06:04 AM
Trusted Editor

This is the soundtrack for the 2nd Kinnikuman anime, "Kinnikuman: Kinnikusei Oui Soudatsuhen".
The title of this series is translated in English as "Mr. Muscleman -Scramble for the Throne-" on Toei's official site:
http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/film/detail.php?id=255

We find again this translation on the European website:
http://www.toei-animation.com/en/catalog/muscleman2

Then Suruga-ya.jp says that Akihiko Yoshida & SHAKE'S are the performers:
http://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/120056606001

That's quite possible, that was the case for this soundtrack:
http://vgmdb.net/album/68722

But the performers are not indicated on the Animex 1200 CD (the CD that I have), the informations are really poor. Maybe the credits are more complete on the first print, but I don't find a back case of it.
However, they mention SHAKE'S in the text of the booklet (see my photo "Tracklist & Credits" on the reprint), maybe they speak about the performance? Maybe someone who read Japanese can translate the text please?

And my quick opinion about this album: the soundtrack of the 1st series by Shinsuke Kazato was a masterpiece for me, this one is also in a more rock style. This is a wonderful soundtrack if you like progressive/melodic rock, Akihiko Yoshida is a rather unknown composer but very talented. I recommend this soundtrack, for only 1020 Yen on CDJapan, it's really gift.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 06:14 AM
VGMdb Staff

Are all instrumental tracks?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 06:19 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Are all instrumental tracks?
Yes, quite.
You can listen some samples on CDJapan to have a better opinion.

Last edited by SaintSquall; Jun 22, 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
And my quick opinion about this album: the soundtrack of the 1st series by Shinsuke Kazato was a masterpiece for me, this one is also in a more rock style. This is a wonderful soundtrack if you like progressive/melodic rock...
Good info provided here! Yeah, there's some great riffs and, of course, slappin' bass on each track to accompany what appears to be an eight-piece brass ensanmble. Some names are in the booklet, one of those I can make out is Makoto Hirahara on sax.

I originally came in thinking this was going to be a quiet affair a la the usual brass arranging. Pretty tight soundtrack that can be enjoyed aplenty outside of the animation.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:39 AM

Was able to find out more information on Akihiko Yoshida & SHAKES. Akihiko Yoshida is a trumpet player.

Here's some notes from [ http://animestyle.jp/2015/01/27/8583/ ]

Forgive the rough english translation but we have a confirmation on all the members:

One trumpet with a trombone and two sax. Besides drums, bass, two guitars, a piano, Latin percussion, and a synthesizer was added a brass rock band organization. Participating members are Trumpet · Shin Kazuhara, Hayashi Kenichiro, Nishimura Koji, Trombone · Matsumoto Osamu, Sax · Hirahara Makoto, Kinjo Hirofumi, Drums by Yuichi Tokashiki, Bass by Naoki Watanabe, Guitar · Nozomi Furukawa and Jun Kajiwara · Jun Fukamachi for Piano, Latin percussion and the synthesizer is Akihiko Yoshida himself. It is a luxurious member who has players who also act as solo musicians. The name of the performance is Akihiko Yoshida & SHAKE'S.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Thanks for your help and also your opinion previously about this great soundtrack XISMZERO!

Well, I don't know this Japanese website. At first sight the informations seem quite precise and detailed.
Already this website confirms what Suruga-ya says: Akihiko Yoshida & SHAKE'S are well the performers, as for Kamen Rider SD soundtrack. I think we can already add this info on the album page.

I just see a little mistake in your translation: it's three trumpets with a trombone and two sax, as you have probably seen then (three trumpeters according to the site).
Otherwise you give the good romanizations for the artists. I read well the names of Susumu Kazuhara, Koji Nishimura, Osamu Matsumoto and Makoto Hirahara in my booklet.

Well, I see you already added the artists on the album page. You are 100% sure on all credits given by this website?
That seems good, but I'd also like to have the opinion of other members of the forum about that.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:28 PM
Trusted Editor

I go back again to this thread.
I found a picture of the CD case back (1st print), and some pictures of the cassette print.
Akihiko Yoshida & SHAKE'S are well written for the performance.

But there are wrong translations for the English tracklist, it's written "FAITH FLASH" for the track 4, while "FACE FLASH" is well the correct name of this Kinnikuman's technique.
Also there's a typo for the track 9, it's written "DIRTY CHARENGER" instead of "DIRTY CHALLENGER".

So should I write the English translation of the album, instead of the correct translation (and maybe add some notes), or add this English translation as a second translation in the album page? In that case, which translation should I put as default?
Old May 25, 2018, 03:41 PM

you must use what the tracklist has, not what it should be
and you must also respect the case, such is the policy of vgmdb

typos aren't corrected except if there is official correction
Old May 25, 2018, 04:25 PM
Trusted Editor

A lot of "must" in your answer, not very cordial...
And what do you mean by "you must also respect the case?"

I asked the question because sometimes we find 2 tracklists in Romaji or in English in the album pages.
If I put only the English translation of the album, perhaps it's better to add the good translations in the notes, as I have seen many times.

Also is it enough as official correction?:
https://shop.ccp.jp/products/detail/255
Old May 26, 2018, 12:47 AM

lower case, upper case

honestly I don't know if it can work as official correction
I tend to think the correction must be related to the album itself, not coming from another product
maybe staff or admin should decide if it's ok
Old May 26, 2018, 01:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I tend to think the correction must be related to the album itself, not coming from another product
Agreed.

That being said, you can submit a corrected English tracklist, but you should leave the current one as default.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:07 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph
lower case, upper case
Ah OK, I didn't understand that you were talking about letters. Yes, I know about that. But a staff member told me that this rule (capitals or not) was not necessarily obligatory for the title display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph
honestly I don't know if it can work as official correction
I also guessed afterwards that you thought more about the album for the correction. But the CD reprint doesn't even have the tracklist in English. However the track 9 is well registered on JASRAC as "DIRTY CHALLENGER".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan
That being said, you can submit a corrected English tracklist, but you should leave the current one as default.
I had changed the tracklist and put the good translations in the notes as I said.
So finally I can put the corrected English tracklist? OK I'll do that then.
Are "English (album)" and "English (corrected)" (or maybe "literal translation"?) good for tracklist titles?

Last edited by SaintSquall; May 26, 2018 at 02:18 PM.