VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:05 AM
Banned

I have also became interested in collecting music libraries! I've enjoyed it too much that even my brother has become interested on it. What makes you other collectors interested on it?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 01:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Welcome to the club. I like collecting libraries mainly because of the knowledge. When I know I've heard some sound in more than one track it makes me curious to know where it's originally from and perhaps what the rest of the tracks/samples/whatever from that source are as enjoyable. Also, I always loved documenting and preserving stuff, so I figure if anyone ever wants to recreate something, maybe this will at some point be a "goto" place. Maybe...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 02:39 PM

Was browsing Synth Mania again and recognized the JV-880 marimba from Vampire Savior. It has that distinctive pitch bend on its attack.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 02:59 PM

I really like having the samples that the musicians I'm influenced from have used because it helps in imitating their style considerably, would I choose to do so. I don't recreate things too often (partly due to not having enough samples), but having the original samples really helps when I do.

With that said, here's some discoveries from Ace Attorney, though mostly taken from a post I made a while back on HCS:
(I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of the specific patches used for some of these, due to sample compression; I went with the ones that sounded the closest to the instruments used in the songs.)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
"Acoustic Piano" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Age, Regret, Retribution"
"E.Bass Pick 1" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Age, Regret, Retribution"
"Motion Raver" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Pursuit ~ Cornered"

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
"Camera Strings" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Apollo Justice ~ A New Chapter of Trials"

Also, a friend of mine received the following confirmation from K-On! composer Hajime Hyakkoku, after telling him about my observation about the soundtrack:
"It's a bingo! yes!!! When making "K-ON!", I used "Triton"."

Not that I really needed it (it's quite obvious, frankly), but this practically confirms the following observations:

K-On!
"Acoustic Piano" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Have some tea?", "Isoge ya Isoge!"
"E.Pick Bass 2" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Have some tea?", "Isoge ya Isoge!"
"PizzEnsemble" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Have some tea?"
"Octave Brass Exp" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Isoge ya Isoge!
"Muted Trumpet" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Isoge ya Isoge!"
"Percussion BX3" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Isoge ya Isoge!"
"Mondo'Rimba" from "KORG Triton" was used in "Have some tea?"

Note I only jotted down like half of the instruments used in two songs of the soundtrack. There's a whole lot more (though a good chunk of the soundtrack shares plenty of instruments), but I think this should be enough as it is, especially since I'm not entirely sure how interesting this would be.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 07:11 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that BS WALIMBO from Spectrasonic's Distorted Reality 2 is the loading screen sound from Mortal Kombat Armageddon.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of Nothing View Post
There's a whole lot more (though a good chunk of the soundtrack shares plenty of instruments), but I think this should be enough as it is, especially since I'm not entirely sure how interesting this would be.
I'm always interested in this sort of thing, so feel free to document however many things you want. Heck, look at my list on page 2! It's huge!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 06:14 PM

Forbidden Siren AKA Siren
Library: Spectrasonics Atmosphere
sample: Female Morphing
Song: Karuwari I
Old Oct 22, 2015, 09:42 AM

I just appeared to be bumping around this thread and i want to say: props to you guys!

There's samples i already know of and even some i didn't hear. It's indeed hard to find them.

Speaking of samples, does anyone happen to know from which library is this sample?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGngoWIk5Y

0:01-throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvsxmJojUo

1:10-throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_on6_8uBuU0

0:46-throughout
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:53 AM

I actually found it guys!

It's from "PowerFX New World Order Journey Vol.2"(track 60, first & second samples)

Last edited by Skull; Oct 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull View Post
I just appeared to be bumping around this thread and i want to say: props to you guys!

There's samples i already know of and even some i didn't hear. It's indeed hard to find them.

Speaking of samples, does anyone happen to know from which library is this sample?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGngoWIk5Y

0:01-throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvsxmJojUo

1:10-throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_on6_8uBuU0

0:46-throughout
I believe the FF13 one comes from Stylus RMX. The bass beat loop.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This vocal sample has been bugging me for the longest time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rVsgJ28qt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00wXkiwfF4&t=1m42s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHl9GUz0iQ&t=15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_s1oCuvC0Y&t=56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SLleJWxus&t=15

Anyone have any idea where it's from?

Last edited by Nisto; Nov 27, 2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I actually found it guys!

It's from "PowerFX New World Order Journey Vol.2"(track 60, first & second samples)
These are popular samples! You can also hear them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwweYJrDorQ, throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPjJNGeKmf8, 4:10-4:40
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:56 PM

Try Voice Spectral 1 + 2 or Orient Odyssee
Old Dec 23, 2015, 07:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh, hadn't seen your post until now, SehrStill. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I have Orient Odyssee though, but will check VS1 and VS2.

I think this one hasn't been found somewhere before? Or maybe it has?

Biohazard 3 (Resident Evil 3)
  • "EFFECT2...S3" (partition A, DRUM SET 2) from "Q Up Arts: Sonic Images vol. 1" was used in 1.26 "Coldhearted Soldier"

I'm sure it's really from some (probably Roland[-compatible]) hardware, but at least it's one source. Also, "EFFECT1...S3" in the same partition sounds kind of familiar. Does anyone recognize it?

More:

Armored Core 3 Silent Line
  • "GURUNG GUR" from "Zero-G: Cuckooland Unhinged" was used in 10 "Falling Down"

Last edited by Nisto; Dec 27, 2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 09:11 AM

Anyone got a clue on where the ethnic chanting from "Mystic Ruin" in Sonic Adventure originates from? It definitely wasn't recorded specifically for the song, as no one is credited for vocals on the OST.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 06:37 AM

Sonic Adventure

"BERBERYELL1" (PARTITION B, 12.FEM.NOISE) from "Spectrasonics Heart of Africa Vol.1" was used in "Mystic Ruins"

That's for the female voice. I still don't know where the ethnic group comes from but i'm still researching.

Last edited by Skull; Jan 9, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 05:10 PM

I've started attempting to recreate the title theme to Gradius III with VOPM and a few of the PCM samples I've been able to find source versions of. Even aside from all the missing samples there are some issues to work out, but I think it's a decent start. I've attempted to add some stereo separation since the original soundtrack is mono. The orchestra hit's source version comes from a Fairlight Series III user library that seemingly has lots of samples sourced from various libraries, so I'm not sure of the original source yet. But at the very least I can still use it for remastering purposes like this, since I assume the actual source version isn't going to be much different.

On the subject of Gradius III, is it me or does the track "Haru no Otozure" on the Koneko Monogatari soundtrack sound like it's using the same synthy string stab sample that Gradius III uses for its title screen and equipment selection songs? The film is from 1986 and Gradius III is from 1989, so they're from the same era.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 02:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Another one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLCFjE-n-Y&t=2m46s

This track is from 1996 and is probably the oldest I've heard the sample in. Any clues?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:51 AM

Did some more study and tweaking of my Gradius III title screen song. The FM part's probably about as good as I can get it now. Just need to get source versions of the rest of the PCM samples.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:40 PM

"Sounds Good New World Order Journey Vol.2" (track 65).

You're welcome.

Last edited by Skull; Jan 27, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know where the vocals in "Shibuya 003" from Blazer Drive originate from? I'm guessing it will be from some vocal CD.

EDIT: also, can someone find where the vocals in "Desert Grit" from Daytona USA 2001 come from? They sound funny to me and I want to know their origin.

Last edited by drdevilfx; Jan 27, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
"Sounds Good New World Order Journey Vol.2" (track 65).

You're welcome.
Well, this is weird. I have a 2-disc library, and there's no vocals whatsoever on either of the discs on track 65. I have checked the first volume as well, but I only have the Power FX re-release. I've been through these libraries before, too, and can't recall hearing these vocal samples in them. You sure you got it right? Also do you own it physically? Wondering if maybe one of us has a wrongly labeled album or something.

EDIT: got my hands on another "New World Order Journey Vol.2" and indeed... there it is, on disc 2. But the second disc doesn't match at all with what I had previously, aside from the track count... Both discs on what I had previously has someone actually saying "new world order journey 2" on the first track on both discs, but it's missing in the release I just found. This is really weird.

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 28, 2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 07:34 AM

Strange...

Well my guess is that you only got, as you said, the PowerFX version which compared to Sounds Good's version only contains ethnic instruments.

Unfortunately, the Sounds Good version is not available anymore so this could explain why.

Last edited by Skull; Jan 28, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 01:15 AM

I've managed to source a few samples used in Hwoarang's theme from the Tekken 3 PlayStation remixes, Blitz-Off from Final Fantasy X, and Funky's theme from Donkey Kong Country 2.

Tekken 3
  • "Bridgewah-C" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 08 "Hwoarang" intro riff, first half
  • "Colourwah 4-C" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 08 "Hwoarang" intro riff, second half
  • "Meter Wah-C" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 08 "Hwoarang" breakdown (1:47)

Final Fantasy X
  • "Ambuscade" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 2.11 "Blitz Off" intro
  • "Electro Convulsion" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 2.11 "Blitz Off" intro

Donkey Kong Country 2
  • "GTR 25 AM" from "Zero-G: Funky Elements" was used in 11 "Funky the Main Monkey" (Not 100% on this one due to loss of quality when compressed and sliced up for DKC2, but it sounds pretty close)
  • "FUNKSHUN 108" from "Zero-G: Funky Elements" was used in 11 "Funky the Main Monkey" drumloop 0:08
Old Feb 2, 2016, 02:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRokujuushi View Post
Final Fantasy X
  • "Ambuscade" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 2.11 "Blitz Off" intro
  • "Electro Convulsion" from "Zero-G: Total House" was used in 2.11 "Blitz Off" intro
They are probably actually from Cuckooland Unhinged (called "NOT HOUSE2" and "ENDOFGAME1" respectively there). Already documented them. It also has a loop from Besaid Island.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 02:54 PM

Interesting. I wonder why they got renamed for a different library...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 05:18 AM

Sonic Adventure
  • "M.BREATHY" from "Spectrasonics: Heart of Africa Vol.2" (Partition B, 01 S.MALEDRY) was used in 27 "Mystic Ruins".
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

biohazard (Nintendo GameCube)
  • "Track 14" (sample 2) from "Sounds Good: On the Jazz Tip" was used in this unused track
  • "Track 14" (sample 3) from "Sounds Good: On the Jazz Tip" was used in this unused track

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 11, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 08:48 AM

This thread has been a huge help in my project of tracking down the origin samples of the Donkey Kong Country Series. I have collection of samples I've extracted from the Wavestation, Roland R-8/others. Am I allowed to post them here?

The Wavestation was used for many of DKC2's instruments (many of which were originally from the M1), as well as a few for DKC1. The R-8 was used for all of DKC's drums

There's actually only two metal hits in Misty Menace, but both are played extremely high and extremely low. One is a tambourine (SPARK1 from the R-8 layered with a long noise sound from the JD-800) used in Aquatic Ambience to mimic the sonar sound of a submarine, and the other is some kind of metallic hit (which I haven't been able to locate) most commonly used for the steel keg.