VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:51 AM

I don't find the original FFX soundtrack particularly more hit-and-miss than any other FF soundtrack out there, really. Actually, I find it less so than 8 and 9, but more than 6 of course. I liked Tidus's, Yuna's, and Auron's themes, and Jecht's theme is one of my favorite songs on the entire soundtrack. Sure, I'll agree that the rest of the themes were pretty blah, and that in fact most of the other songs Chris named were pretty blah, but after having said that, I don't find that makes FFX more inconsistent than other FF soundtracks before it. It has a number of enjoyable tracks, and a number of real stinkers; pretty standard territory. Also, I don't think this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There were also way to many variants of the Hymn of the Fayth and Seymour's theme.
is a fair assessment. These tracks are variant of a major theme that popped up at specific places, linking like things with each other. It may be weird to hear them outside of the game on a CD player and you may not care for each individual variant, but they exist in the game for a reason and serve a good purpose. I didn't find these tracks to be out of place in the game at all, which is what really matters - not how it translates to my CD player. I'm not sure in what context you felt they were superfluous... just my two cents.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Feb 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:39 AM

Very interesting comments. Personally I love the FFX character themes, especially for Tidus and Rikku, though it'd be fair to say they are underused in the game. Lulu's Theme only appears once (I think, in Yojimbo's cave?) but is a great track - Uematsu channelling early King Crimson

It always was a soundtrack of extremes, and for whatever reason that worked for me (Hell, even 2.18 Dusk/Twilight/however you want to translate it is one of my favourite tracks in the set). But for clarity, my original comment about consistency was a technical one aimed at the mastering rather than the content of the music. On the original, even when moving from one style to a completely different one, from a good track to a not-so-good track, it still all felt like part of the same production. I don't get that same feeling about the new version, and I think that takes something away from it.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh, I should say that I do like Rikku's theme. Tidus' ... not so much.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:34 PM

Uematsu must not have bothered with Djose Temple, the Shoopuf theme, or Place of Trials because he (or his arranger) realized they were absolutely unsalvageable. And as much as Hamauzu is a brilliant arranger, what could he have possibly done with them?

Anyway, I'd love to talk more about this soundtrack, but I have yet to find a way to get the music off the stupid blu-ray and onto my PC. :\
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:51 PM

i think you can transfer the music from the blu-ray on to your ps3 hard drive and then from there use a usb stick to transfer to computer? if you don't have a blu-ray drive in your computer that is.

my my such vitirol for this. I love it all.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
These tracks are variant of a major theme that popped up at specific places, linking like things with each other. It may be weird to hear them outside of the game on a CD player and you may not care for each individual variant, but they exist in the game for a reason and serve a good purpose. I didn't find these tracks to be out of place in the game at all, which is what really matters - not how it translates to my CD player. I'm not sure in what context you felt they were superfluous... just my two cents.
I've completed the game a few times and agree that the hymn variations work fine in context. However, I'd rather they were bonus tracks on the actual soundtrack release, as they are too similar to particularly interest me on a stand-alone basis. As for Seymour's theme, I see what Uematsu was trying to do here, but the source material is so cliched and the arrangements so conservative that it didn't really work for me in or out of context. Seymour Battle would be an exception, of course.

In terms of the integration of the soundtrack in general, I felt this soundtrack (along with FFIX's for that matter) was pretty inconsistent. There were a tonne of themes that were only placed once or twice, often in awkward contexts. The character themes for the main protagonists are all examples of this and Wakka's didn't even end up being used at all. There are lots of setting themes too, mostly from Uematsu and Nakano, along those lines. Even Hamauzu composed a leftover track, Face Off. But other tracks were sometimes overused in the game, e.g. Calm Before the Storm, Leap in the Dark, and The Trial meaning they could laborious (even though the first of these is actually pretty decent imo).

Quote:
Uematsu must not have bothered with Djose Temple, the Shoopuf theme, or Place of Trials because he (or his arranger) realized they were absolutely unsalvageable. And as much as Hamauzu is a brilliant arranger, what could he have possibly done with them?
I think somebody should run a competition to produce an enjoyable arrangement of the Shoopuf theme. I'd be interested if anyone manages it!

Quote:
Oh, I should say that I do like Rikku's theme. Tidus' ... not so much.
I prefer Tidus', but both were fairly bland for me. Not awful, but not great imo. I agree Lulu's Theme is great and it could have replaced Calm Before the Storm in some settings (e.g. Macalania Woods), in my eyes.

Last edited by Chris; Feb 19, 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I think somebody should run a competition to produce an enjoyable arrangement of the Shoopuf theme. I'd be interested if anyone manages it!
As much as I like this idea and think that kind of contest would be great, I don't get why that track is singled out in particular by many people as being so unpleasant. To me it's just there, certainly not great, but inoffensive.

Quote:
I prefer Tidus', but both were fairly bland for me. Not awful, but not great imo. I agree Lulu's Theme is great and it could have replaced Calm Before the Storm in some settings (e.g. Macalania Woods), in my eyes.
I rather like "Tidus' Theme", think Rikku's is too generic, and don't understand how Lulu's is markedly better than either of the others.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:28 PM

Hmm, I guess I'm the odd one out on Lulu's Theme in this thread. It's my least favorite character theme, and by quite a bit. There really isn't much about it I enjoy, haha. I guess you guys figured something out about that song that I wasn't able to, or just different tastes. EDIT: Ah, looks like somebody at least doesn't think it's one of the best ones. I'll take that.

That's a good point about how the character themes were used. In fact, by that note, one could hardly even call them "themes" for the characters because the only way you can associate it with the characters is if it plays at multiple key points during their accomplishments and such. Those songs are no more their themes than just random event songs that played at a point in the game. On that same token, I'll also agree that other songs were a bit overused, especially Calm Before the Storm. So in terms of integration into the game, maybe a good deal of the material actually translates better to the soundtrack

And... wow, as for the HD collection, I haven't heard it all, and I am not interested in the slightest. I heard a few arrangements on Youtube, and found them to be very lackluster and pretty typical - nothing there that makes me want to listen to this version instead of the original. I think that boils down to the fact that I really don't find anything wrong with how the originals were arranged; I may not like a particular composition, but redoing it a slightly different way isn't going to change that because I dislike its fundamentals. This isn't like listening to Demetori rearrange Touhou music - you get an almost completely different song there, yet the original music is recognizable, and the end result is just good on its own. No, the ones I heard don't improve what I dislike enough to convert me, and what I like could very well be left alone.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Feb 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:29 AM

Notwithstanding a couple of gems, I'm confident in saying that the FFX soundtrack would have been a much better product had Uematsu not contributed. The majority of the man's tracks are dull and make me think he was burnt out when composing them. The character themes are, I think, a big symptom of this. Whereas in FFVI, VII and IX they were strengths, here they are weaknesses. "Lulu's Theme" is the only one which demonstrates Uematsu operating outside of his comfort zone and is a triumph as a result. The rest are just so...conventional and tedious. I mean, I truly can't stand "Rikku's Theme"...and I think I understand why "Wakka's Theme" didn't really feature in-game.

I love the FFX soundtrack not as a whole, but because it contains so many disparate moments of musical genius. Uematsu's moments of genius are few and far between compared to those of Hamauzu and Nakano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
As much as I like this idea and think that kind of contest would be great, I don't get why that track is singled out in particular by many people as being so unpleasant. To me it's just there, certainly not great, but inoffensive.
It's offensive because it's used in an area in the game in which the player spends a decent amount of time. The same reason why "The Trials" receives such ire. It also doesn't help that whenever I see the track title I'm reminded of that hypello screeching "Ridess the Shoopuf??".
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Anyway, I'd love to talk more about this soundtrack, but I have yet to find a way to get the music off the stupid blu-ray and onto my PC. :\
Use MakeMKV.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
The majority of the man's tracks are dull and make me think he was burnt out when composing them.[/url].
Didn't he bring in Hamauzu and Nakano for that exact reason? He previously spent an entire year writing the music for FF9 (his magnum opus IMO). although he wrote a few cool themes for FFX, nearly everything after FF9 that he has done has been forgettable or mediocre at best.

Last edited by dissident93; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
i think you can transfer the music from the blu-ray on to your ps3 hard drive and then from there use a usb stick to transfer to computer? if you don't have a blu-ray drive in your computer that is.
I actually tried this... there doesn't seem to be a way to "explore" the blu-ray disc from the PS3 menu, at least that I could find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Use MakeMKV.
Does it require a blu-ray drive?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:08 PM

found this on the ffxiv forum for the before meteor blu-ray ost... not sure if the FFX HD ost is setup the same way:

Also, there's an option (when playing the disc on PS3 at least) to copy MP3 versions of all songs.. Hit square to bring up a small menu in the bottom left, go to extra's, and then in the top is a download MP3 option. Select it and you'll get an IP address. Enter it on a PC and you can copy the MP3s.. Very nice touch =)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:16 PM

Jormun,
Start the disc in your PS3 under Video section.
The disc starts playing, display the menu pressing "Square".
Now select "Extra", press "Circle" on pad.
A menu comes up on the right with:
"MP3 Download (via home network)"
"MP3 Copy (via PC)
Select the top option (selected by default), press "Circle". (the 2nd option explains how to grab the mp3s from disc when inserted in PC bray drive)
A new screen comes up with a link:
On my system: http://192.168.1.203 (the address of my ps3 on my home network).
At this point, leave the ps3 be, on this screen.
Then on your PC, fire up your fav browser and input the address as URL.
You'll then be able to grab the mp3s stored on the disc.

ps: you may need to replace all the "Circle" above by "Cross", i'm on jpn ps3 and unsure if this changes on western ps3s or hardcoded on disc.

ps2: if on the "Extra" screen, you select "Update NEW!!!" at the bottom, it'll update the disc's menu software, changing twitter layout and other small things, be warned it takes AGES.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Didn't he bring in Hamauzu and Nakano for that exact reason? He previously spent an entire year writing the music for FF9 (his magnum opus IMO). although he wrote a cool themes for FFX, nearly everything after FF9 that he has done has been forgettable or mediocre at best.
Agreed on all counts except you forget Lost Odyssey! Pretty damn solid imho.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:36 PM

I think his stuff for FFX isn't of significantly lower quality than FFIX, whose soundtrack I think is enjoyable but hampered, not by composition or arrangement deficiencies, but by some programming that lacks vivacity. It sounds to me like when a band is tired, just going through the motions, and not "clicking." I think I've said it here before, Blue Dragon really feels to me like FFIX done right. Aside from some qualms about Nakayama's orchestration (or perhaps it's just the recording/mixing) sounding on the thin side, I thoroughly enjoy that soundtrack. And yes, I include "BAD BUT BAT" -- the ultimate guilty pleasure!

Lost Odyssey is pretty good but not amazing. Certainly some really nice tracks in there. I have more desire to listen to it than FFX, but when I do listen to X I'm not sorry I do, despite most of Nakano's contributions frustrating me. I think it's one of those "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" deals.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:09 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Does it require a blu-ray drive?
Yes, of course. How are you supposed to read a BD without the respective drive?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
Jormun,
Start the disc in your PS3 under Video section.
The disc starts playing, display the menu pressing "Square".
Now select "Extra", press "Circle" on pad.
A menu comes up on the right with:
"MP3 Download (via home network)"
"MP3 Copy (via PC)
Select the top option (selected by default), press "Circle". (the 2nd option explains how to grab the mp3s from disc when inserted in PC bray drive)
A new screen comes up with a link:
On my system: http://192.168.1.203 (the address of my ps3 on my home network).
At this point, leave the ps3 be, on this screen.
Then on your PC, fire up your fav browser and input the address as URL.
You'll then be able to grab the mp3s stored on the disc.
Thanks so much, Alcahest! Google wouldn't turn up this useful information. I can't believe how easy it was.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much, Alcahest! Google wouldn't turn up this useful information. I can't believe how easy it was.
You're welcome
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Challenge accepted!

***2 hours later***

:/

:\

Well, I did what I could.
https://soundcloud.com/js-music/ride-the-shoopuf-again

This actually ended up being a nightmare to record, and I apologize for the mixing. For some reason my software was not playing nicely together, randomly producing terrible static sounds in the final recordings. I intended to loop it once then fade, but Sonar didn't seem to agree. Unfortunately I lost the project file (with the instruments loaded), so I'm really not interested in revisiting this. It's almost as if this music is cursed. o.O
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:05 AM

the curse of shoopuf theme
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It cannot be saved!! Poor Shoopuf!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:04 PM

Jormungand, you'd best not try to arrange "Djose Temple" - your computer might explode!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Challenge accepted!

***2 hours later***

:/

:\

Well, I did what I could.
https://soundcloud.com/js-music/ride-the-shoopuf-again

This actually ended up being a nightmare to record, and I apologize for the mixing. For some reason my software was not playing nicely together, randomly producing terrible static sounds in the final recordings. I intended to loop it once then fade, but Sonar didn't seem to agree. Unfortunately I lost the project file (with the instruments loaded), so I'm really not interested in revisiting this. It's almost as if this music is cursed. o.O
Congratulations! Challenge complete! This is infinitely more likeable than the original, and I really like the style and samples.

I'd love to hear how you approach other cursed themes and make them good!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:53 AM

Heh, it sounds like Kikuta took charge halfway through.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
The Trials
Djose Temple
Ridess the Shoopuf?
Okay, am I the only person in the world who likes these tracks?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 03:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessrepeat View Post
nope, they're some of my favorite themes from the game. guess we have different taste than others :P
Old Mar 19, 2014, 04:59 PM

I hate the remaster version, original OST is better.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessrepeat View Post
Out of curiosity, what features of these tracks do you enjoy?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:50 PM

Is this technically the same disc that comes with the Collector's Edition of Final Fantasy X/X-2? I don't see a listing for that version, unless I missed it in the search.