VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 6, 2015, 06:40 PM

Looking at the only source there is, it appears that Chris Bellman is in charge of the mastering job. Also, track list is as follows:

SIDE-A
1. Cruel Angel Thesis (Director's Edit Version) / Yoko Takahashi
2. FLY ME TO THE MOON
3. ANGEL ATTACK
4. Rei 1
5. Hedgehog's Dilemma

SIDE-B
6. BAREFOOT IN THE PARK
7. RITSUKO
8. MISATO
9. ASUKA STRIKES
10. NERV
11. TOKYO-3
12. I.SHINJI

SIDE-C
13. EVA-01
14. A STEP FORWARD INTO TERROR
15. EVA-02
16. DECISIVE BATTLE
17. EVA-00
18. THE BEAST

SIDE-D
19. MARKING TIME, WAITING FOR DEATH
20. Rei 2
21. FLY ME TO THE MOON (Insturmental)
22. trailer
23. FLY ME TO THE MOON (YOKO TAKAHASHI Acid Bossa Version)

Taken from Google Translate, apologies for any mistakes.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 09:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the link, I've added the info in the notes.

EDIT: should we go with a separate entry for this since otherwise we can't link the mastering engineer?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Thanks for the link, I've added the info in the notes.

EDIT: should we go with a separate entry for this since otherwise we can't link the mastering engineer?
If it were to be split up, then it should at least be linked to the 2013 remastered release. The remastering job was performed at Bernie Grundman Mastering which is where Chris Bellman is currently employed. I guess we can assume that the vinyl and remastered jobs are being handled by the same staff?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
If it were to be split up, then it should at least be linked to the 2013 remastered release. The remastering job was performed at Bernie Grundman Mastering which is where Chris Bellman is currently employed. I guess we can assume that the vinyl and remastered jobs are being handled by the same staff?
If they had to choose from digital master to make the vinyl, it's more likely that they used the 2013 Remastered Edition, rather than the original 1995 mix. Question is, of course, if they used the tape master for the Digital Remastering, then they could have done separate mixing for vinyl master, but far as I know of, most Japanese recording studio doesn't really use analog masters anymore, especially because it's costly (that's why they invented digital studios in first place). (Then again, it's Anno's work. Who knows.). It would make absolutely no sense to do that (cost prohibitive to master twice, etc). Not to mention both 2013 Digital HD version and Vinyl release has same studio that mastered the mixes. I'm going to have to ask that it's only logical to link 2013 as parent, not original 1995, and are going to request edits.

At the moment, there's no way to compare vinyl to 24-bit digital, only problem is, and I have no vinyl ripper, anyhow.

tl;dr, existence of the S2 works set shows that mix was done digital, and most likely whole composition exists as digital. Remastered to improve sound recording from almost 20 years ago, which was released in 2013, so they could stamp as vinyl in 2015. It makes sense to me.

Last edited by foolydooly; Jul 9, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 08:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

While it's possible, I wouldn't assume they are the same without some additional info, since we don't know who mastered the digital release.

I've split the entry from the original in any case, and linked Chris Bellman.

Last edited by Illidan; Jul 9, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM

Since this release contains 2 vinyls, I tried separating the track list into 2 "discs" but accidentally, I think I screwed it up. Can a trusted editor please give me a hand?

EDIT: thanks Illidan!

Last edited by Jotamide; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM.