VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Like I said, it's not a question of distribution, it's a question of professional and non-professional capacity.
If you need an even simpler way to distinguish the releases, artists who release professional work under their own name are "Independent" publishers.
What does this even mean? An independent release is an independent release, how exactly do you decide whether it's professional or not? Whether they've done professional work in the past or are currently professionals? There's a lot of doujin artists who have also done freelance professional work (on commercial products) and even some who have worked as professional artists in the past. There's a fine line here.

Quote:
and this is after feedback from an artist.
Kind of suspected this.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Shall we put it up to a vote, then? Since this issue seems to be important to you.

Edit: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3776
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Shall we put it up to a vote, then? Since this issue seems to be important to you.

Edit: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3776
Sounds fair to me.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:52 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)
Thumbs down

Thanks for the update! Hopefully this will reduce the errors that I make when submitting an album which is added to my permanent record.

Edit: Please excuse the "thumbs down" image in this post. That was yet another error which I can not change.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.

Last edited by KeyLogic; Jan 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The new field names are now captured in the album histories and the mod queue, so you should be seeing words now instead of numbers.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:24 AM

I'd like to confirm it, but isn't the deletion of media implemented under the new submission system yet? (even admins can't do that, apparently). I didn't know how to deal with this preorder bonus track of this album. Should it have been added as a separate entry while it's only one track? If so, is it possible to roll back Trusted or Staff's edit?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Do you think there would be any need to separate regular Enclosures from Limited Edition / First Print Enclosures?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Do you think there would be any need to separate regular Enclosures from Limited Edition / First Print Enclosures?
I think those can be safely considered first press bonuses. At least that's what seems to be implied.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA View Post
I think those can be safely considered first press bonuses. At least that's what seems to be implied.
I didn't see that one. thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I'd like to confirm it, but isn't the deletion of media implemented under the new submission system yet? (even admins can't do that, apparently). I didn't know how to deal with this preorder bonus track of this album. Should it have been added as a separate entry while it's only one track? If so, is it possible to roll back Trusted or Staff's edit?
I'd swear that media deletion used to be there, because I remember doing it once. Delete was right by "add", I think.

Is the pre-order bonus track a digital track that is downloaded from the site?

There isn't currently a way to roll-back a staff edit, but with the way the information is logged, it would be possible to implement one for the simple field changes and have it retroactively work for all previous submissions (at least back to where we began logging all edits, which was in 2008 I think.) It wouldn't be possible to undo deletes.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Is the pre-order bonus track a digital track that is downloaded from the site?
Yes. I didn't know what's the best to way to handle this (only one track was too few to call it an album), but I don't feel adding it as an extra disc was appropriate... The big problem is we couldn't add the GFCA reprint as a 1 CD album (I set it to Inactive).

Last edited by Cedille; Feb 2, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think I'd just put it in the notes for now, since it's just a pre-order bonus to the soundtrack.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:31 AM

I agree it would be the best, but we still need to remove the extra media from this album (and its reprint)...

I guess the lack of the media deletion is a temporal bug or such. 'Remove' is actually displayed at the right of 'Add' when I access to the edit page via my cellphone which has Opera 8.60 for Windows Mobile (but nothing happens when I clicking on it). Not with IE, Fire Fox, Chrome or other versions of Opera, though.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

With the new submission system, there is no indication of the correct way to add reprints. I think it would be interesting a message about this issue.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Media deletion is now enabled (for staff). Eventually I want to ajaxify it so that you don't have to leave the album edit page.

Another bugfix: album notes inherited from the parent album are now escaped properly in the album display.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:50 PM

Sorry if it's already addressed and considered, but wouldn't it better to prioritize the color coding of Video/Animation and Radio/Drama over that of Enclosure/Promo? We have to rely on mostly the color coding right now to know whether it belongs to games or not, while the Publish Format field tells how it's distributed.

I use this opportunity to also ask how Products represented field and Platforms represented field should be when we add spin-off Anime & Film & Drama & Radio & Musical albums. For instance, this album is from a radio program called Radio ToHeart2, but should I change the product to ToHeart2 and set the platform to PC (and PS2)? I'm aware this is customary for us, and makes it related to other game ToHeart2 albums (which isn't necessarily good for some people, I guess).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know how solid things are, but I think that we will have a local context to filter things. For example, if we have our context set to "Game", a game/anime/radio album will show up as light blue, but if we have our context set to "Anime", it'll show as green.

I think you are right about the promos. We should only color them yellow for albums in our current context (and Game is the only context right now.)

Oh wait, I misread what you were asking. I think it's tough for these radio albums. If the radio show contains characters from the game, then yeah the game name and platform should probably be listed as well.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Oh wait, I misread what you were asking. I think it's tough for these radio albums. If the radio show contains characters from the game, then yeah the game name and platform should probably be listed as well.
Is this only for game-related Radio?

I'm ashamed to say it, but I'm already confused about how to treat Game Animation/Film albums. I know we commonly add the original game name and its first platform to its anime adaption, so should we add FFVII and PSX to this album because the film contains characters from FFVII?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hmm, maybe we'll have to think about this some more. That album should definitely have "FF7 Advent Children" in the Product field, but probably shouldn't have FF7. Perhaps I should reverse what I said on the Radio Drama example, and instead it should be credited to the name of the radio drama. FF7 and FF7 Advent Children as products will probably have a higher level "franchise" which will aggregate them. Something like

Final Fantasy (Franchise)
|
|
Final Fantasy VII (Series)
|
|
Various products go here (FF7 game, FF7 Advent Children Movie)

We could end up with many layers in this hierarchy though. At each level, all the albums for everything below it are listed.

Back to the example, does FF7 AC contain some arranged music from FF7 game?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
FF7 and FF7 Advent Children as products will probably have a higher level "franchise" which will aggregate them.
Yeah, that's the way I anticipated the product table would be, and I have already replaced some of the game names by their formal anime adaption names and removed the platforms... but I think I should refrain from editing active albums until the product link is finally implemented...

Quote:
Back to the example, does FF7 AC contain some arranged music from FF7 game?
Yes, but FFVII also contain some arranged music from FFI and FFII.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:26 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I know this is not probably new but i am starting to get lost with all the colors too..

Doujin Arrange is orange
Doujin Original is also orange
But Doujin Work is blue..
Promo/Enclosed Work is yellow ? (should be blue?)

And i think something is not really logical..

We got some colors for Publish Type.. & then more colors for Classification..
Should we only use one of these categories?

We could maybe think about more color for anime in the future, which color will we use for Anime Bootlegs?

I was thinking we could use the same color with different gradient tone.
Like we could have green, light green, dark green...etc.. ?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:28 PM

I wonder if we still lacks the category for Theatre (such as this). Perhaps Live-Action/Theatre?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Doujin Arrange is orange
Doujin Original is also orange
But Doujin Work is blue..
Promo/Enclosed Work is yellow ? (should be blue?)
I don't know what we do with promo CDs, because there is no way to differentiate the content of a Promo Game, Promo Anime, Promo Drama etc. just by the color. The increase of colors with different gradient tones can be a solution, but I don't know if this can confuse the visitors.

Quote:
I wonder if we still lacks the category for Theatre (such as this). Perhaps Live-Action/Theatre?
Interesting. Ballet Dragon Quest ~ Star Dancers Ballet could also fit into that category. However, I don't know if we have so many albums in the database like this.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:06 AM

Sakura Wars is well known for its long-running musical adaptions, and here is a part of the CD list.

AVCA-14180
AVCA-14324
AVCA-14416
AVCA-14490
AVCA-14588
AVCA-14804
AVCA-22100
AVCA-22264
AVCA-22328
AVCA-22415
AVCA-22662
WWCE-31121~2
WWCE-31119
WWCE-31124 (VGMdb has this entry).
WWCE-31127~8
WWCE-31169~70
WWCE-31185~6

But honestly, I think this kind of CDs and especially DVDs can potentially cross the line. I can't explain why, but I feel like DVDs may lack legitimacy... For instance, it's obvious we're not allowed to add any Valkyria anime DVD even though many tracks from the soundtrack are reprised or arranged there or the original composer is still involved (while I think it's okay to add the soundtrack, radio and drama CDs from the anime). Likewise, we may be allowed to add the Dragon Quest Ballet album, but not the ballet DVD itself, because the ballet DVD is more like an anime DVD, or the game itself. Perhaps the same applies for Gyakuten DVD or Sakura Wars DVD.

I just feel odd because I see the anime and ballet adpations as the products alongside of the game. Those DVD might be legimate if we only associate them with their original games and consider them as the arrangements or something...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
But honestly, I think this kind of CDs and especially DVDs can potentially cross the line.
That's a good point since the emphasize of these DVDs tend to be the on the game and not specifically its music. For example, from what I've seen, the Gyakuten Saiban ones are like typical theater plays. Honestly I think some of these were added because they were pretty cool discoveries that could be of interest to fans of the series, but we should perhaps think about if they really fit within our scope.

Last edited by seanne; Feb 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I didn't know these musical adaptations of Sakura Wars. It's a considerable amount of albums. Also, I remember that SS added some KOEI albums that also fit into that category, but I couldn't find it.

You said something very interesting that I had not thought about it. Personally, I don't see much problem with DVDs. I think the focus is still music, even if it is accompanied by dance or acting. But I'm still thinking about this issue.

Last edited by Revoc; Feb 24, 2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that musicals based on Anime or Games are of interest to their fans, and should be included. I did add a ton of albums related to the Neoromance games, and some of those albums probably cover live shows. This extends to DVDs with musical content, but I don't think we'd want to start including anime DVDs at all. The Sakura Taisen musical DVDs are borderline, but I can see an argument for including them.

On to categories, I think that in order to truly cover anime, we're going to have to split up the Video/Anime category so that albums like this aren't presented to anime fans under the same classification as anime music.

So, in that regard, we may need it to split out a Film/TV Live Action and a Stage Live Action.

After we've got out categories squared away, we still definitely revisit album coloration, and figure out some adjustments.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am getting something wrong or there's probably something "not clear" enough that leads to confusion..:

Regarding the release types between Enclosed & Limited Edition.

Is "Enclosed" suitable for limited editions, collector's edition, gold edition & whatever edition.. or not?
Or this kind of package should be "Limited Edition" ?

As i personally understand it, limited edition is suitable to a "commercial" release that have extra content.

But i found out a few new submission of enclosed soundtracks was classified as "Limited" just because it came with a "Limited Edition"...
So, that classification is kinda confusing.

What do you think about it?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

If a soundtrack came with a Limited Edition game, it should still be just an enclosure. Limited Edition means the soundtrack itself is some kind of special limited edition.

I've fixed a couple of albums like this. If you see any more, go ahead and fix them.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 04:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

To clarify further, "Limited Edition" does not fall within the enclosure "group" of distribution types. They're standalone releases.

If a soundtrack is enclosed only with the limited edition of a product, it should be First Press Bonus. If it's enclosed with all editions, and continues to be bundled throughout the product's normal print run, it's a generic enclosure.