VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:00 PM

Default Slight complaint

Are star ratings really required for reviews/comments to songs? I find that like half the songs I want to post a comment on, I don't want to actually put a rating, and so I just keep my thoughts to myself.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:07 PM

If you have any thoughts at all, you should be able to give a star rating. I think that's only fair. People have put their heart and soul into the track (or at least we hope) so if you have enough to say about their track one way or another, you can at least quantify it somewhat in stars. I have my own system for it. I give something 7 out of 7, then work back from there, giving and taking what I think. If I can't explain something, I give them back the point.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:59 PM

Yeah, but the thing is - a lot of times, I want to leave a comment on a song, not an actual review of it. For example, a friend of mine uploaded a song, and I wanted to heckle her about a section of it not lining up, but that's not an actual review of it. And so, rather than just a comment, I don't say anything at all. Is that any better? Sometimes, people just want to say comments about mixes rather than big official reviews.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:51 PM

Yeah...I agree with Kidd. I don't know if you've checked out Soundcloud, but that's one of the cooler things about the site - to add a quick comment or a timed comment.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpToken View Post
Yeah...I agree with Kidd. I don't know if you've checked out Soundcloud, but that's one of the cooler things about the site - to add a quick comment or a timed comment.
This idea of "timed" comments is interesting, and it wouldn't take much to add it. However, rather than show waveforms, which aren't that useful, it would make more sense to ask the artist to upload sheet music, perhaps of the melody only if (s)he desires, which is easier to follow and makes more sense.

Then, it would be easy to circle a note and say: "This chord should be changed to a minor third" or something like that.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:24 AM

The problem with that is that most people who make music don't have sheet music for their music. I can say that I sure as hell don't. The only time I go and make sheet music is when I'm having my music performed by others.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:39 AM

I almost never have sheet music for my stuff. I create on the fly and play it by ear/memorization.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:51 PM

This is kind of changing the subject a little bit, but along the same lines as star ratings and statistics. I kind of dislike how uploading a revision to a song wipes all the statistics clean. It's still the same song, just improved...so I kind of feel like the statistics for any particular song should amass as one set of data, rather than being separated version by version. Just a thought...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:41 AM

This can be changed easily, but consider that it might not be fair for previous ratings to be applied to a new song. Hopefully, the new revision should be better than the old revision, and the old ratings were rating a song that uses different instruments or a different melody.

Another way of dealing with this problem would be to display two ratings: one for the current version, and one for the entire history of the song overall. The same could be done with downloads and views. Does that sound like a good idea, or should a different approach be used?