VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 14, 2017, 02:23 AM

Question Remixes : Dubstep glitchy sequences and compressed sound

I got quite a hard time with some of the actual remixes and compositions of some soundtrack albums.
I'd say that this is mostly due to dubstep long glitchy sequences and over compressed sound modulation of some.

For example, I don't enjoy most tracks of Ridge Racer soundtracks post RR6.
And right now, i don't appreciate most tracks of Rage Racer Remixes album 1st disc.

I love breakbeat and related pre-dubstep styles, and these already had some quite glitchy sequences, but those were quite melodic.
Also compressed sound modulation isn't new, but now its amplitude can be pushed to the max and then it just reaches no audio.

Maybe this has been said for every new music style in the past, and then i'm just too old for this actual released stuff.

Last edited by dma; Aug 14, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 01:19 PM

Yeah, it's the same for me, I just don't see the appeal of dubstep (especially the completely random usage of it within other styles). Though I've come to like the dubstep remix of smb2 overworld theme (didn't like the original though which likely helped).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Though I've come to like the dubstep remix of smb2 overworld theme (didn't like the original though which likely helped).
Well there's actually no glitchy sequence in this "dubstep labelled" remix.
(some of the comments there even find the use dubstep term inappropriate to the style of this remix)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Well there's actually no glitchy sequence in this "dubstep labelled" remix.
(some of the comments there even find the use dubstep term inappropriate to the style of this remix)
It's probably why I like that particular remix, it takes the structural minimalism and experimental sound generation/transformation of dubstep without actually using all the annoying sounds of it.