VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 22, 2017, 04:18 AM

Excellent selection, particularly from Prime 3: Corruption--I never feel like that game gets enough love.

The only glaring omission is the Lower Norfair theme from Super Metroid. However, I do notice a track called "Lava Caves" from Samus Returns--hopefully that will be in the same vein (much as "Lava Caves" from Metroid Prime was).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 08:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I am psyched about a best-of.

Now if only Nintendo would do some full OSTs and reprints of rarities (*coughcough Super Metroid*).

I only own Prime/Fusion OST. I know i could get the NES Metroid full OST relatively easily (that Game Sound Museum series). So this is about the only other thing that's come out on CD.

A Prime Trilogy OST would be very much appreciated. But what I'd really like is a release that did like ... NES Metroid + Zero Mission, and then Metroid 2 (GB) + Samus Returns (3DS). Pair your original with your remake for each release.

Someone needs to let Nintendo know that there's love for Metroid music, just like there's love for Zelda and Mario.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 04:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
But what I'd really like is a release that did like ... NES Metroid + Zero Mission, and then Metroid 2 (GB) + Samus Returns (3DS). Pair your original with your remake for each release.
Agreed! Would love that approach.

Btw, I'm surprised you want a re-release of that Super Metroid album (unless you were strictly speaking about the music in general, not that particular release of it. In my opinion the presentation of the soundtrack of that release (Sound in Action) was awful, although the section containing the original Metroid-music was even worse with all the sound effects included all the time.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to this "Best of"! I sure would love to see complete soundtrack-releases, but unless this happens this sure is better than nothing.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

oh yes, I should specify I'd rather have a new version of the Super Metroid OST released than a strict reprint of Sound In Action.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:22 AM

Kyoto Report got ahold of the Samus Returns credits, and the sound staff appears like this:

Quote:
Music Director
Kenji Yamamoto

Music & Arrangement
Daisuke Matsuoka

Original Metroid Music
Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano, Ryoji Yoshitomi

Audio Lead
Emilio Gutiérrez López

Sound Design
Pablo Balaguer de Diego

Sound Coordination
Minako Hamano

Audio Technical Support
Yuichi Ozaki

Music Support
Masaru Tajima
Old Sep 7, 2017, 03:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Rather unhelpful credits in determining who did and didn't actually write music for the game, pretty typical Ninty move

For reference, the official site used to have the following quote on it: "Deepen your immersion with updated SFX and an atmospheric remastered soundtrack arranged by veteran Metroid composers Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano."
Old Sep 15, 2017, 01:25 PM

So, is "Music" under the Notes the arranger if the original composition credits are already attributed?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 02:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I left "Music" in there for the games where one or more of the selected tracks are arrangements of songs from previous games, because sometimes the credited person is the composer and sometimes they're just the arranger. "Artist" might be better, I dunno.

Last edited by CHz; Sep 15, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 03:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't think the game titles should be in the U.S. tracklist, they're in a completely separate column from the song titles

Old Sep 15, 2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I don't think the game titles should be in the U.S. tracklist, they're in a completely separate column from the song titles

I'm the one who added them into the US tracklist. I saw that they were in the UK tracklist, and when I saw the screenshot of the US tracklist, it looked to me like it belonged. Different columns but same line with the track number and all.

*shrug* But whatever, do what you want.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 08:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

On compilations like these I personally go by whether the game title is directly attached to the song title like "Song (Game)" or "Game - Song," or if it's separated into a different column or line or whatever. On the US album not only is it in a different column, but it's also separated by a third column, so it's clearly a separate thing to me.

Whereas on the UK album they are run together like "Game - Song," so I'm okay with keeping that one like that.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:25 AM

I don't know how it is with the US version, but the EU version had the games in the title via the CD-Text, so I figured that was official. Had there been no CD-Text at all I probably wouldn't have added the games to the titles, mostly due to how I normally handle game names in titles.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If the US version has CD-Text too, then I'd be A-OK with adding the game titles to the tracklist if they're there.

(In my perfect world I also wouldn't have included the game titles in the EU tracklist either, but a lot of people like them on compilations like this, which is why I'll leave them in if they're actually mashed together with the song titles and not formatted separately into a different column or something.)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 06:10 AM

Is anyone able to look up the CD-Text for the US version? (I don't have a copy myself, I'm afraid.) I think that would help settle the question for good!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 03:52 PM

Am I the only one that's a little disappointed with a few aspects of this one?

I would have liked to have seen more Metroid 2 on here. I wanted the main theme (yes, I know we get the Samus Returns mix) but we only get 21 seconds of the Chozo Ruins theme, which could have been titled something much more appropriate than "SR388: Underground."

Still, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that the Other M Ridley theme is now on a licenced disc and it's nice that Upper Brinstar doesn't appear to be a simple transfer from Sound in Action. "Dark Samus" isn't too shabby in the slightest either.