VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I didn't get that from it, I just seemed like you were surprised that I hadn't heard a song from a Japanese-only game released in 1987. There's a lot of VGM out there, it's pretty conceivable I wouldn't have heard Palace of Salmon before I played Ys Origin. It's all good, I'm not personally offended, I just didn't get the "...really?".
YOU ARE A BAD VGM NERD, TURN OVER YOUR MEMBERSHIP CARD ASAP.

Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:29 AM

I've heard some stuff... ;__; Seriously though the single full PC-98/X68000 soundtrack I own a copy of and have heard all the way through is Cosmic Psycho, I haven't even touched that era of game music. I never got a membership card though so I guess no harm done?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:18 AM

The chorus in Termination (from "Ys Origin Official Visual Book""

Curse the vain dare!
Hail! Do or die!

Alas! Thou willst!
Grievous! Thou fallst!

The Origin of Darkenss
Sable Grave doth gape there
Devour thy sanguine soul
Swallow thy pale wings down
Old May 27, 2015, 06:29 AM

Just found this thread, and I'm facepalming quite a bit at some of the replies.

Anyway, I've just edited this album entry. My two cents:

• Included both Ishikawa and Nagata in the composer field, since their music for Ys II also got arranged for Ys Origin (backlash aside, can't say I'm a fan of how Koshiro has been lionized ever since his name appeared on the The Revenge of Shinobi title screen). All three of them should be added as featured composers (i.e. with the spiffy blue text and all that jazz), since (as SimonJXZ previously pointed out) they weren't involved with this game in any capacity; others just rearranged their work.
• Included "Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita)" in the arranger field. Only the synth orchestral tracks and the ones performed with real instruments (basically the ones specified in the booklet) were arranged by Jindo, while Sound Team jdk arranged the rest. Example: 'Tower of the Shadow of Death' is a Sound Team jdk arrange, while 'Termination' isn't.
• Also uploaded a Hi-Res cover for this album.

And now my favorite part - composer breakdown time! With the exception of a few tracks, all three composers are fairly transparent and easy to tell apart. [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied] (kyubihanyou style )

Disc 1

1. The Guidance of a White Tower (Hayato Sonoda)
2. Prologue -Ys Origin- (Arrangement of Feena by Yukihiro Jindo. Original composed by Yuzo Koshiro)
3. Genesis Beyond the Beginning Opening Version (Arrangement of Beyond the Beginning by Yukihiro Jindo, performed with real instruments. Original composed by Ryo Takeshita)
4. Roda (Originally composed by Atsushi Shirakawa, Masaru Nakajima, Satoshi Arai, Hayato Sonoda or Kaname Ohara for Ys Eternal. Arrangement by Hayato Sonoda)
5. Magnificence (Synth orchestral arrangement based on 'Feena' and 'Tower of the Shadow of Death', both originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
6. Bonds With Companion (Hayato Sonoda)
7. Tower of the Shadow of Death (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Hayato Sonoda)
8. Confrontation (Takahiro Unisuga)
9. Oboro (Ryo Takeshita)
10. Water Prison (Either Hayato Sonoda or Takahiro Unisuga. I'm leaning more towards Unisuga)
11. Scarlet Tempest (Ryo Takeshita)
12. Feena (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Hayato Sonoda)
13. Devil's Wind (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Ryo Takeshita)
14. Feena (Harmonica version) (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by... I'd say Hayato Sonoda)
15. Silent Desert (Takahiro Unisuga)
16. Tension (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Ryo Takeshita)
17. Samsara and Paramnesia (Ryo Takeshita)
18. Scars of the Divine Wing (Ryo Takeshita)
19. So Much for Today (Originally composed by Mieko Ishikawa. Arrangement by Hayato Sonoda)

Disc 2

1. Prelude to the Omen (Ryo Takeshita)
2. Movement of Wicked Energy (Synth orchestral arrangement based on 'Over Drive', originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
3. Dreaming (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Ryo Takeshita)
4. My Lord, Our Brave (Ryo Takeshita)
5. The Pain of Separation (Arghhh, I can't tell this one apart . Either Hayato Sonoda or Takahiro Unisuga. I'd say Hayato Sonoda)
6. Beyond the Beginning (Ryo Takeshita)
7. The Root of Darkness (Ryo Takeshita)
8. Over Drive (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Ryo Takeshita)
9. The Last Moment of the Dark (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
10. Termination (Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
11. Memory of Solomon (Based on 'Solomon Shrine', originally composed by Hideya Nagata. Arrangement by Hayato Sonoda)
12. Disappearance of Threat (Synth orchestral arrangement based on 'Feena', originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
13. Fair Skies (Another of the tracks I can't tell apart. Either Hayato Sonoda or Takahiro Unisuga, that's for sure. I'd say... Hayato Sonoda)
14. Determination (Same as 'Fair Skies'. I'd say... Takahiro Unisuga)
15. To the Next Generation (Synth orchestral arrangement based on 'The Guidance of a White Tower', originally composed by Hayato Sonoda. Arrangement by Yukihiro Jindo)
16. A New Legendary Opening (Same as 'To the Next Generation')
17. Believing (Either Hayato Sonoda or Takahiro Unisuga. I'd say Sonoda. Contains nods to 'Feena', originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro)
18. Genesis Beyond the Beginning (Full version of 'Opening Version')

Last edited by 《J》; May 27, 2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 01:41 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy the physical copy of this soundtrack? Brand new, if possible. Emailed Falcom earlier, and they mentioned that they don't have plans to reprint the soundtrack.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 03:29 PM

I don't know any place that has this new anymore, since Falcom released it over 10 years ago and hasn't reprinted it. It's one of the more expensive Falcom soundtracks these days, clocking in at around 5000 yen or so.

There's an eBay listing from a UK seller for a used copy for £30, plus shipping. That seller has a lot of other Falcom goodness for sale as well, like the Ys IV Perfect Collections.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322754202959
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I don't know any place that has this new anymore, since Falcom released it over 10 years ago and hasn't reprinted it. It's one of the more expensive Falcom soundtracks these days, clocking in at around 5000 yen or so.

There's an eBay listing from a UK seller for a used copy for £30, plus shipping. That seller has a lot of other Falcom goodness for sale as well, like the Ys IV Perfect Collections.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322754202959
Thanks for the share. I will check it out.