VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default VGM decibel

It is my great pleasure to announce a new regular feature at VGMdb -- the new official VGMdb podcast. VGM decibel is a bi-monthly show that will feature the latest news and happenings in the video game music industry, with insightful discussions, roundtables, indepth reviews and interviews with composers and artists. One of the major goals for VGM decibel will be to bring the game music community together while making game music easier to approach, understand and acquire. The show will be hosted by 2 of the most knowledgeable and personable individuals in the VGM scene: Audi "Akumu" Sorlie and Carl Larson.

Audi "Akumu" hails from Norway and is one of the world's most knowledgeable experts on music in the doujin and remix scenes. Since an early age, he has collected video game music, but he has also traveled the world meeting many composers and remixers, acquiring a collection of interesting stories in the process.

Carl Larson is from America and has been an avid collector of Japanese game music for over a decade, searching out obscure albums from the past as well as enjoying current hits. With respect for early record labels like GMO and Scitron, his interest in the business side of soundtrack publishing and artist marketing inspires his visits to Tokyo in hopes of establishing future game music collaborations.

There will be 2 shows a month: The 1st show will concentrate on new releases, upcoming events, new reviews, among other things, while the second show will focus on the past releases, with interviews, and a special segment by Carl discussing the major game music releases of 20 years ago. In addition to these regular features, there will also be a Doujin Profile segment, highlighting a doujin artist and featuring some of their works. Naturally, each show will also have a request section as well as a Q&A segment.

The first show will be recorded very soon, so stay tuned for further news.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:17 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I've recently been listening to Akumu on recordings from another radio show of years past, and it's always a pleasure hearing what he has to say. I'm looking forward to what he and Carl will produce!
Old May 15, 2009, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks Kaleb. I'm much more excited for this show than the others i been part of just because of how good Carl is and what he can bring to the table, and because of the people here at VGMdb and them being a great bunch of people.

So just spread the word
Old May 15, 2009, 08:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Looking also for the podcasts, even if I don't normally even bother listening these, but vgm-related podcast sounds something that I need to listen.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Can't wait to hear this.

Shameless plug, another podcast worth checking out is "Jurassic Radio" at Gameosaurus.com (I'm in it). It's games-centric, but we include VGM as interlude and background music from time to time.

Ramza
Old May 15, 2009, 01:55 PM

Definitely looking forward to listen to this, even if just like Razakin I barely listen to any podcasts.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:36 PM

Sounds awesome! Definitely looking forward to them. I don't have an iPod, but I'm sure there's a way I can listen to them.

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old May 16, 2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadujin View Post
Sounds awesome! Definitely looking forward to them. I don't have an iPod, but I'm sure there's a way I can listen to them.

- Justin Pfeiffer
Yep, podcasts are just downloadable MP3s, so any standard music playing software or MP3 player can listen to them.

If you're looking for more insight into what is going to be going on with the VGM decibel and what Akumu and Carl are planning, we interviewed Akumu on the Nitro Game Injection podcast about it a few weeks ago. Just some shameless cross-promotion here. Really looking forward to listening!
Old May 18, 2009, 03:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Let me present to you the show logo, made by the ever so talented Niki from France and our own GigaBlah

Old May 18, 2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJCrb View Post
If you're looking for more insight into what is going to be going on with the VGM decibel and what Akumu and Carl are planning, we interviewed Akumu on the Nitro Game Injection podcast about it a few weeks ago.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Had no idea such a show was going on.

Nice story about Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Akumu. Congrats. He must be a funny guy in person. I saw him at EXTRA last year, oddly enough by the CD vendors (maybe he was looking for his CD?^^) but I didn't get to talk to him. I have had the pleasure of meeting Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Hosoe, Ayaka Saso, Norihiko Hibino, and Motoaki Furukawa though. Uematsu waved at me once because I stuck out in a crowd of Japanese at Press Start a few years ago. And I totally blew an opportunity to meet Mitsuda once cause he was passing by and I froze up and totally let him slip away. But, I still need to meet Yuzo. He would be my Mitsuyoshi.

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old May 18, 2009, 06:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I met Yuzo last year, but he was very tired. Still a gentleman
Old May 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

niki: Fantastic work on the Logo!! Looks great, and nice cross-balancing of color even.
Thanks much niki.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You're welcome ! Dunno how it happened but you're missing a piece of your moustache though lol
Old May 23, 2009, 05:34 PM

Haha, stole my idea! I was totally developing a podcast idea for OSV... maybe we could combine forces.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The first podcast is now live! You can find the podcast directory here:

http://vgmdb.net/cast

The feed address (for iTunes, etc) is:

http://vgmdb.net/cast/feed

By the way, the "users" link on the main navigation has been demoted to the subnavigation, while "statistics" has been moved to the new footer.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
By the way, the "users" link on the main navigation has been demoted to the subnavigation, while "statistics" has been moved to the new footer.
And on that note, I think the layout is pretty much "perfect" now. Every area has a specific purpose, with the contents of each strictly adhering to that purpose. The design has come a long way and I would like to state (or re-state) that it looks excellent!

On a lesser note, the MP3 download link on the cast page doesn't work for me. Nor does the flash player.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've fixed it.

You know what? vBulletin is so buggy, it's not even funny. Simply editing the first post of a podcast thread causes the podcast information to be wiped out.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Man this looks excellent! Ones my workload is gone today I'm gonna sit down and study all details.

Also Carl, one day you got time this week lets discuss the next show a bit.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

ATTENTION: You can now also follow us at Facebook and interact with us there, be it questions or suggestions, so invite your friends and stuff.

Facebook Link