VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 29, 2015, 10:50 AM

talked about here: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/060/1060001/

seems to be some kind of special lottery? Not sure if available generally or just at Square Enix's ARTNIA cafe.

Looks like some fancy tapestries available too soon.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, it's from a shop lottery: http://www.square-enix-shop.com/jp/S...ARY_25th_kuji/
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:18 AM

bleh I didn't see that one when I searched
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:16 PM

where did the catalog number come from? just curious
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:40 PM

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=229909

top left of the pic (I wonder why I bothered to add it if nobody watches it -_-)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:09 AM

ah ha never saw that pic til now =p
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

"Hikari Are" is the Japanese name of the final boss attack that the English version simply translated as "Light." It was an all-party blind attack, unique to the Final Boss (no other enemy has it, no character has the ability to learn it).

Considering he's trying to claim to be a Monotheistic God ... the translations of Hikari Are as "There is Light" or "Light Appears" seems like a hint at "Let There Be Light" (a Biblical Phrase if ever there was one). SO, I checked common translations of the bible, in Japanese, specifically Genesis 1:3. Guess how they translate God's statement, "Let there be light"?

"光あれ" -- Hikari Are.

English Source: https://biblia.com/bible/esv/Gen%201.3 (that's ESV, but at least 10 other popular English translations of the bible translate this phrase as "Let There Be Light" -- it's culturally ingrained in us by now).
Japanese Source: https://newchristianbiblestudy.org/b...le/genesis/1/3

Considering the religious nature of the final boss, especially as a manifestation of Western Monotheism, I am changing the translation on track 8 to "Let There Be Light"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

re: tr99, this is a skill unique to when the Minstrel is in your party. He can use the ability that in the localized version of the game was "Feste d'Arme" -- which translates to "Armed Forces," but with a pun in places, since the "Force" is also tied to "Fest" -- festival.

The Japanese title is also operating under a pun. "武装弦楽祭" -- the second kanji creates "Armed" (war + organization) when applied to the first kanji. But, applied to the 3rd and 4th kanji, you turn "弦楽" (string music) into "装弦楽" (orchestra). I did my best to translate this pun by going with "Music-Accompanied Forces." The skill itself is a standard bard skill: The Minstrel plays music, the party is inspired, they get stat bonuses.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:59 AM

I know that light thing under Fiat Lux (should have been used, it looks more grandiose ;p)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I know that light thing under Fiat Lux (should have been used, it looks more grandiose ;p)
If the localized game had used it I probably would have. But I feel strange taking artistic liberties translating from Japanese to English, and using Latin to do so.

That said ... yeah, Fiat Lux is a beautiful and short way of saying "let there be light."

(heck, even in the case of "Feste d'Arme," that was used in localization, but I still tried for a more accurate English thing ... since there wasn't the culture product of the Bible associated with the pun)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:16 PM

I don't think 武装弦楽祭 is a pun, it's just 武装(armed) + 弦楽(stringed) + 祭(festival)
go make a trackname with that ;p

btw, where did you find 装弦楽 is orchestra, because google gives no result for that in particular?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Google Translate gives "Orchestral Music" for 装弦楽 ... which I can see, as "Sou" = bound/organized, "gengaku" = string music.

But despite what GTranslate says, you're right, when you put "装弦楽" into a google search they are hardly any results and I don't think any of them reference orchestral music.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:25 PM

you shouldn't trust google translate, maybe it should be said properly: NEVER USE IT
that translates like word by word without taking into account any sense, you could put anything that it will "succeed" in finding translations
Old Aug 13, 2017, 03:01 PM

装弦楽 doesn't exists as word.

武装→ is the equip for a battle.
弦楽→ is the name used for the sound of string instruments.
祭→ festival.

You can't divide on any different form the words.

武装弦楽祭 is the name for a skill.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 05:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksharp View Post
武装弦楽祭 is the name for a skill.
This was already noted. If I wanted to use the English-localized version of it, I end up with an Italian word, "Feste d'Arme." So I tried for something else.

Even excluding the possibility of a pun in the Japanese, I think what I provided here is a decent translation. It doesn't specify "string(ed) instrument-music" -- but neither did Feste d'Arme. If you are already familiar with the game and you know this is The Minstrel's big party-buffing skill, that goes without saying. To add "String" to the already long title might make it a little hefty. Yes? No?