VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 27, 2017, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMysterio View Post
One is in a Silent Hill 2 track, The Prison Basement. This is probably the best place to hear it. Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYqUDhmiu8
The sample is actually quite short. I've extracted the raw sample from SH2, and it's only 2.240 seconds long. Akira Yamaoka is known to cut a lot of longer samples in totally unpredictable/unexpected places, too. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in Things That Go Bump In The Night 1/2. We may have already found it on Silent Hill Heaven at some point even. But people do not use consistent titles, so it's hard to find what you're looking for.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
The sample is actually quite short. I've extracted the raw sample from SH2, and it's only 2.240 seconds long. Akira Yamaoka is known to cut a lot of longer samples in totally unpredictable/unexpected places, too. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in Things That Go Bump In The Night 1/2. We may have already found it on Silent Hill Heaven at some point even. But people do not use consistent titles, so it's hard to find what you're looking for.
Found it. I noticed that the same Cowboy Bebop episode had some Sounds Ideas sci-fi sound effects in it, so I looked through Series 8000:

Sounds Ideas Series 8000 - Disc 2 - Track 15 (Low Steady Rumble)

Good to know that Yamaoka uses Sounds Ideas stuff anyway. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:30 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Wow, that's nice. Thanks for sharing your find.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's nice. Thanks for sharing your find.
No problem. I do have one more potentially irritating question though, as I do love to ask those...

Do you happen to know where I could find a copy of Big Fish Audio's Wall of Vinyl Volume 1? I've got volume 2 and 3, but I can't find volume 1, not on eBay nor anywhere else, it's a real pain. This is especially annoying as Big Fish Audio took it off their site a while ago, same for a bunch of other libraries, like Alien Guitars 1 and Infinite Sound: Ambient Atmospheres. I actually asked them about it, something to do with them not selling physical CD's anymore. I mean, why they couldn't just convert the CDDA files to wav or AiFF or something and sell a downloadable copy instead is beyond me, but whatever.

I'm just ranting now, so back on topic, know of any sellers of Wall of Vinyl 1 or something? Same for Alien Guitars 1 and Infinite Sound: Ambient Atmospheres, actually, those'd be good for my collection.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ah, Wall of Vinyl 1. Yeah, I'm looking for that as well and unfortunately I don't know any place that has it. A copy popped up on Yahoo! Japan about a year ago. It disappeared, but I don't think anyone actually bought it, and I haven't seen it relisted. It was listed at 10,000 JPY, too, so pretty expensive unfortunately.

I have a rip of Alien Guitars, but I don't know of any place to buy it I'm afraid. Ambient Atmosphere is a whole other story. I've never seen it listed anywhere, and all the rips that exist are alleged to be fakes. So it's a weird one, really.

EDIT: I managed to track down the username of the guy who was selling Wall of Vinyl 1. If you're determined, I could probably have someone send them a message and ask if they still have the CD. I'm willing to split the cost with you.

Last edited by Nisto; Sep 29, 2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Ah, Wall of Vinyl 1. Yeah, I'm looking for that as well and unfortunately I don't know any place that has it. A copy popped up on Yahoo! Japan about a year ago. It disappeared, but I don't think anyone actually bought it, and I haven't seen it relisted. It was listed at 10,000 JPY, too, so pretty expensive unfortunately.

I have a rip of Alien Guitars, but I don't know of any place to buy it I'm afraid. Ambient Atmosphere is a whole other story. I've never seen it listed anywhere, and all the rips that exist are alleged to be fakes. So it's a weird one, really.

EDIT: I managed to track down the username of the guy who was selling Wall of Vinyl 1. If you're determined, I could probably have someone send them a message and ask if they still have the CD. I'm willing to split the cost with you.
Eh, rip or purchase, I'm not bothered, as long as I have the library. Shame about Infinite Sound though, did see some rips but I can confirm they were all fake.

Well I can't say I'm determined, but I am willing to help you with buying WOV 1. Not sure how it'll work, considering I live in a completely different time-zone to you and all that, paypal or something? But yeah, it'd be excellent if we could get that library, as it is quite an elusive one.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 03:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMysterio View Post
Not sure how it'll work, considering I live in a completely different time-zone to you and all that, paypal or something?
How do you know? Where are you located? And yeah, PayPal would be fine. But honestly, I don't really collect library discs, so I'd probably send you a half. Let's take this in a PM?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
How do you know? Where are you located? And yeah, PayPal would be fine. But honestly, I don't really collect library discs, so I'd probably send you a half. Let's take this in a PM?
Yeah, PMs are probably best for this, sending first one soon.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Metal Gear Solid
  • "Danger There" from "East West: Scoring Tools" was used in 02 "INTRODUCTION"

Shenmue
  • "Movin' B" from "AMG: Black II Black" was used in 2.13 "Hip de Hop"
  • "Booty Scrt" from "AMG: Black II Black 3" was used in 2.13 "Hip de Hop"
  • "Scratch it!" from "AMG: Black II Black 3" was used in 2.13 "Hip de Hop"

Tempest 2000
  • "Play it!" from "AMG: Coldcut's Kleptomania" was used in 02 "Mind's Eye"

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • "Wild Call" from "AMG: Karma Chopra" was used in 01 "Crossing Materials@Jointing Kit featuring 陸羽田植歌"

Last edited by Nisto; Oct 15, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 09:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So, I happened to be listening to Passion/Sanctuary by Hikaru Utada (opening theme for Kingdom Hearts II) in reverse, and heard something familiar around the 4:05 mark. It really feels like I've heard it before, but the closest I've found yet is the "Wolf at Vespers" sample from Pandora's Toolbox (by Q Up Arts / Sonic Foundry). I'm not at all convinced that's the sample, but it sure seems like it could be a sample, maybe even by the same library producer (David Torn).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyeA4sAnGrs&t=4m05s

https://instaud.io/1sD7

If anyone happens to recognize it as well, please share!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 02:06 PM

Hey everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where a couple of samples come from. I've been looking for them for ages but have come up empty handed so far. The samples in question are a panflute and a synthesizer. The panflute can be heard in the following three examples at the time stamp listed next to the link:

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...es%20Death.mp3 (from 0:00 to 0:16)

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...e%20Rescue.mp3 (0:22 background flute)

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...al%20Scene.mp3 (0:07)

the synth can be heard in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdDQhxABQQ (Lead synth, right speaker at 0:23)

If anyone could tell me where these samples come from it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 03:36 AM

I think the panflute is a Roland preset (Sound Canvas, D-50, JD-900, JV-1080)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 09:15 AM

I'll look ingo the D-50 and JD / JV synths, but I'm afraid I can confirm that they're not from the Sound Canvas 88 or SD-90 modules.

Edit: 2:37 PM EST

I'm afraid that although similar, the D-50, JD-900, and JV-1080 panflutes are not the one I'm looking for.

Last edited by Wademaster; Dec 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 06:22 AM

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

• "Dilruba KEY (Espressivo Keyswitch)" from "Best Service Ethno World 5" was used in "Nahyuta Sahdmadhi ~ The Last Rites Prosecutor"
  • "Dilruba KEY (Trill Keyswitch)" from "Best Service Ethno World 5" was used in "Nahyuta Sahdmadhi ~ The Last Rites Prosecutor"
  • "Joochin Dulcimer KEY (Tremolo Crescendo Keyswitch)" from "Best Service Ethno World 5" was used in "Nahyuta Sahdmadhi ~ The Last Rites Prosecutor"
  • "Joochin Dulcimer KEY (Stick P-F VEL Keyswitch)" from "Best Service Ethno World 5" was used in "Nahyuta Sahdmadhi ~ The Last Rites Prosecutor"
Old Jan 3, 2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wademaster View Post
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where a couple of samples come from. I've been looking for them for ages but have come up empty handed so far. The samples in question are a panflute and a synthesizer. The panflute can be heard in the following three examples at the time stamp listed next to the link:

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...es%20Death.mp3 (from 0:00 to 0:16)

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...e%20Rescue.mp3 (0:22 background flute)

http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.co...al%20Scene.mp3 (0:07)

the synth can be heard in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdDQhxABQQ (Lead synth, right speaker at 0:23)

If anyone could tell me where these samples come from it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

• "Track 46" from "Zero-G Ethnic Flavours" was used in "Byrne Comes to the Rescue"

The pan flute in Byrne's Death and The Final Scene is a Sound Canvas 88 [EDIT: it could also be a XV-5080 or JD-990] pan flute layered with another flute sample that I don't know the source of, and the synth in Demon Train seems like it might be from the Korg Trinity or the Korg Triton.

Last edited by G Boy; Jul 17, 2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:02 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Boy View Post
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

• "Track 46" from "Zero-G Ethnic Flavours" was used in "Byrne Comes to the Rescue"

The pan flute in Byrne's Death and The Final Scene is a Sound Canvas 88 pan flute layered with another flute sample that I don't know the source of, and the synth in Demon Train seems like it might be from the Korg Trinity or the Korg Triton.
Awesome. Thanks for the leads. I'll take a look at the Korgs and see what I can dig up. Unfortunately though, after having a listen I'm afraid you're absolutely correct about the panflute. It's been layered with... SOMETHING, no idea what though. Thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 03:44 PM

I've been looking over the Half-Life 2 soundtrack, and there's one sample in the track "Lab Practicum" that I'm having a great deal of trouble finding. However, when I speed the track up by four times, I do recognise the sound from another game called Blockland.

Comparison:
Half-Life 2: https://instaud.io/1HkG
Blockland: https://instaud.io/1HkI

Blockland's sounds come from a CD the creator bought in 1995 from an electronics store, but the CD is nowhere to be found. However, from what I've seen around and from what I can tell by Blockland's other sounds, the CD tends to reuse sounds from other stock libraries, such as The Premiere Edition and the General Series 6000. This nicely coincides with Half-Life 2's composer, Kelly Bailey, tendency to use libraries like The Premiere Edition and Series 6000. He also uses libraries from Zero-G, Best Service, Spectrasonics, East West, and occasionally BFA or Sony Creative Software.

I've had a quick look through some early nineties stock sound libraries with no luck, so I'm posting here to see if anyone else might recognise the sample, or at least something similar to get any kind of clue at all. Any help with this would be appreciated!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 04:02 PM

Super Mario Galaxy
  • "Pretty Bells" from "Roland JV-1080" was used in "Luma"
  • "Pretty Bells" from "Roland JV-1080" was used in "Sad Girl"
  • "Psycho EP" from "Roland JV-1080" was used in "Drip Drop Galaxy"
Old Feb 18, 2018, 05:51 PM

MegaMan Zero 2 - "Supreme Ruler"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMwPiXWgTk

Sample CD: Sounds Good - Methods of Mayhem 1
Sample Name: Atonaloop 10 24-11
Time of sample: 0:13
Old Mar 3, 2018, 02:59 PM

Super Mario Galaxy
  • "DreamingEP" from "Roland Fantom G6" was used in "Beach Bowl Galaxy - Underwater"

Super Mario Sunshine
  • "WHISTLER" from "Best Service Peter Siedlaczek's Classical Choir" was used in "Ricco Harbor"
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've just cleaned up the OP a bit and added some bullet points for sources of information on libraries. I am also in the process of updating the index. May take a while though.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 05:44 AM

Can't wait to see the result!

Super Mario Sunshine
  • "DUUH FEMALE" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in "A Secret Course"
  • "DUUH MALE" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in "A Secret Course"
  • "THUMS" from "Spectrasonics Vocal Planet" was used in "A Secret Course"

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • "1. Pilentze Pee" (first two seconds) from "Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares" was used in "Ganon's Tower"
  • "TONG" from "Best Service Peter Siedlaczek's Classical Choir" was used in "Makar's Prayer"
  • "ZOOMMM" from "Best Service Peter Siedlaczek's Classical Choir" was used in "Makar's Prayer"

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • "97 Wind Low Eerie Wind Moan, Weather" (wb05, sample 3) from "Sound Ideas Warner Bros. Sound Effect Library" was used in "Snowhead"
  • "97 Wind Low Eerie Wind Moan, Weather" (wb05, sample 3) from "Sound Ideas Warner Bros. Sound Effect Library" was used in "Snowhead Temple"
  • "97 Wind Low Eerie Wind Moan, Weather" (wb05, sample 3) from "Sound Ideas Warner Bros. Sound Effect Library" was used in "Stone Tower Temple"
  • "97 Wind Low Eerie Wind Moan, Weather" (wb05, sample 3) from "Sound Ideas Warner Bros. Sound Effect Library" was used in "Stone Tower Temple - Inverted"

Last edited by Skull; Mar 15, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That Majora's Mask sample is a great find, Skull. Thanks for that! I was actually searching for that exact sample just a couple of days ago. Funny you should post it now.

By the way, it's also used in Ice Cavern from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 15, 2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 04:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The index has FINALLY been updated! Only took me about a week :eyeroll:

I've also added some composer gear lists to the OP. Might be of interest to some maybe?

Somewhat sad news, but when trying to commit all the updates to the OP, I initially got this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin
The text that you have entered is too long (100233 characters). Please shorten it to 100000 characters long.
I guess we should stop here then? Or continue with the index someplace else? lol. I had to remove a bunch of redundant newlines from the BB Code to fit in everything. Close one though, phew. My browser gets sluggish as heck when editing that first post, too.

Definitely won't be able to fit all these new ones I found though:

BALDR BULLET REVELLION
  • "136MADLP02" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in 14 "blockade" (0:26)
  • "144FXDRLP7" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in 14 "blockade"

Devil May Cry
  • "Image12_s" from "Sonic Foundry: Twisted Reality" was used in 1.06 "PUBIC ENEMY (Regular Battle 1)"
  • "TRASHY SEQ" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in 1.22 "LOCK & LOAD (Blade Appears ~ Regular Battle 2)" (0:08)

Devil May Cry 2
  • "CRY4HELP2" from "Big Fish Audio: Alien Guitars" was used in 1.18 "EYE OF THE WIND (Uppertown)" (2:12)
  • "CB120GTRL3" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in 2.24 "MODE SELECT"

Lollipop Chainsaw
  • "136MADLP03" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in "NSN_CS_St0_D_0158" (0:00)
  • "136FXDRLP5" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in "NSN_CS_St0_D_0158" (0:04)

SPYRO Year of the Dragon
  • "144FXDRLP9" from "Zero-G: Chemical Beats" was used in "Honey Speedway"

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • "HAL:OHH B2" from "Best Service: Gigapack" was used in 2.01 "雪山"

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • "NewSample" from "Best Service: Gigapack" was used in "Temple of Time" (not on any official soundtrack)

Xenosaga Episode II
  • "RAGE" from "Spectrasonics: Metamorphosis" was used in 1.09 "chase"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
Hey guys, amazing topic!

I am looking for a certain (much used) cello sample library. It is used so much that i am sure SOMEONE here knows it. It is (imho) a valuable addition to the topic.

Sample 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFxBeoBnAPE (Empire Earth)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFH2llKgFog (Medwyn Goodall)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShm_QKTDv0 (Medievil 2)

Sample 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDZ-sNiaZg (Max Payne 2)
Empire Earth
  • "Dark Side" from "East West: Scoring Tools" was used in "Enmity"

Max Payne 2
  • "Start Story" from "East West: Scoring Tools" was used in "Max' Passion: Mona"

MediEvil 2
  • "Dark Side" from "East West: Scoring Tools" was used in "Wulfrum Hall"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spindash View Post
That's sample 4 of Track 55 to be precise, "would you stop playing with that radio of yours" etc.

As for the two songs that sample does sound very similar within the two, sadly I'm not sure of a source myself though.

I'm stuck in a similar situation myself actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmn3FZzeao (at 0:19)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCUYF_BOOQ (at 0:05)
Haven't placed it, but I'm relatively certain that sample is in Chemical Beats by Zero-G.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 02:59 PM

This rhythmic percussion loop thing:

Final Fantasy XII - Nalbina Fortress Underground Prison
Shadow of Rome - Pansa's House Theme
Xenosaga Episode II - A random cutscene BGM, unfortunately I didn't keep track of which one. It was an in-game engine event, so probably an Ayako Saso track.

This sample is in many games/anime. I don't know the source.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:38 AM

Continuing on from my previous post about the HL2 soundtrack, I still haven't found that sample from Lab Practicum. It's slowly driving me mad.

What's worse is that I've found another sort of not-sample from that same track, so a sample that isn't the full sample used in original track, but another sound that uses the original sample as it's own source. A bit unclear, I know, but I'll go over it in more detail...

Here's the track I've been looking looking over at the point the second sample is used, it's the weird synthy whooshing noise in the background:
https://youtu.be/Bg8lJMWBbdI?t=48

And here's the not-sample itself, a low-quality version of it from SoundDogs. It's good enough to get the picture... uh, sound:
https://www.sounddogs.com/media/fast...w-10236782.mp3

That sample is too short to have been used in the track from the game, so it isn't what I'm looking for. However, it at least gives me a better time-frame as to when the full sample was available, as looking over the not-sample's metadata says that it was made in 2001, so the actual sample and its library has to have been released before then.

Gagh, this is giving me a headache, so, for the main question after much rambling: does anyone know where I might be able to find this sample AND where I might be able to find the warbling synth sample from the same track I detailed in my previous post?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Haunting Ground (Demento)
  • "26 Cavern Eerie Hollow Cave;Various Echoey Noises,Amb" from "Sound Ideas: Warner Bros Sound Effects Library" was used in 35 "Bonus Remix / Homunculus ~ Orgasmus Mix" (0:35)

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 08:17 AM

Default Street fighter 3 3rd strike

Hello
Great forum, very informative!
"sample name" [(additional information)] from "publisher: sample library" was used in [disc number.][track number] ["track title"] [(time)] [(notes)] [;...]

Not long ago I came across this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOExG4HIZu4
Roy Ayers- Running Away (1979), (0:01-0:02). A possible sample from "STREET FIGHTER III 3rd STRIKE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK Sampler CD", was used in 01 Third Strike (Full Version) (0:15-0:16).
Uploaded by the user:
soulbrothanumbahone

This sample is not credited, it is however, strongly similar to the timed segmant above.

Sounds a lot like:
Hideki Okugawa- Third Strike (Full Version) (0:15-0:16), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9wkNnFfGA
Uploaded by the user:
XAVIER1992

Note
Furthermore: Another sample was found by the user epilis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0pC-SFHN80
The "Let's Go" sound effect is sampled from the 1960's batman tv series (no specific epsiode is given as a source as of yet).

Last edited by sampleguy; Apr 20, 2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 02:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Gran Turismo HD Concept
  • "VERBONICS" from "Spectrasonics: Bizarre Guitar" was used in "Menu"
Old May 11, 2018, 03:11 AM

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • "Machine FX 3202 ZG" from "Zero-G Dream Zone" was used in "Gohma (Second Time)"
  • "Machine FX 3202 ZG" from "Zero-G Dream Zone" was used in "Kalle Demos (Second Time)"
  • "Machine FX 3202 ZG" from "Zero-G Dream Zone" was used in "Jalhalla (Second Time)"
  • "Machine FX 3202 ZG" from "Zero-G Dream Zone" was used in "Molgera (Second Time)"

Sonic Heroes
  • "Trance Seq 01 ZG" from "Zero-G Trance Formation" was used in "Mystic Mansion"
  • "HP GLS DM 1" from "Best Service Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra" was used in "Hang Castle (Normal)"

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
  • "AFLAT LOOP 26" from "Zero-G Ethnic" was used in "Fire Temple"

Last edited by Skull; May 14, 2018 at 03:15 AM.