VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 13, 2017, 02:44 AM

I'm VERY glad we are getting this but I have a VERY very serious question to ask you all: What are the chances of seeing a FULL release of this Game's Music?? I really dig the soundtrack a WHOLE LOT!!! XD
Old Jan 13, 2017, 02:58 AM

with such a name "breath of the wild", I won't be surprised if there are a lot of ambient sounds (not bgm)
it could be a complete soundtrack
Old Jan 13, 2017, 03:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

"Selection" kind of implies it's not complete. Though, as I said in another thread, I'm not expecting this to have nearly as much music as previous titles.

Hopefully Symphony No.5 will release a soundtrack album.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blazer View Post
I'm VERY glad we are getting this but I have a VERY very serious question to ask you all: What are the chances of seeing a FULL release of this Game's Music?? I really dig the soundtrack a WHOLE LOT!!! XD
Unlikely. Nintendo doesn't release full soundtracks - especially in the US.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:34 AM

Well of course they wouldn't release the soundtrack overseas, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they'd release the BotW full OST. Especially since the MM3DS and TP OSTs have been released recently. I'd expect a full OST release for BotW personally, but when I'm not sure.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
"Selection" kind of implies it's not complete. Though, as I said in another thread, I'm not expecting this to have nearly as much music as previous titles.
Which would be really unfortunate. It worked terribly in FF15. More music is better!

Unlessyournameishiroyukisawano.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:18 PM

Based on Nintendo's current track record, with both Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight Princess HD having a full OST release in Japan, it's possible that there might be a full OST release in the future.

But if this is all we get, I don't think I'll be too worried since the gameplay we've seen from E3 and other events seemed to show that the OST will have less full tracks and more 'ambient' noises, as nextday described it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Unlessyournameishiroyukisawano.
And what would you mean by that? Hmm?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Based on Nintendo's current track record, with both Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight Princess HD having a full OST release in Japan, it's possible that there might be a full OST release in the future.
Twilight Princess is far from being complete. These recent Zelda 3D games have enough music to fill five or six discs.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
Twilight Princess is far from being complete. These recent Zelda 3D games have enough music to fill five or six discs.
Oh that's true. I should say it this way then:
There's a fair chance that the OSTs will get a CD release. Though there's a chance that it won't be a 'full' OST release, at least it's likely to be more than 24 tracks.

Then again BotW doesn't seem like it has much music at all.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 05:01 AM

Does anyone know the tracklist already? I swear if the Story Trailer music is not included in this CD I will personally kill someone.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 05:44 AM

Aaaand the Story Trailer music is not included in this CD. Really sucks because it's the music I wanted the most. I don't know why Nintendo hasn't included it? Even the Trailer Music of Twilight Princess was in the Sound Selection CD. Even in the Nintendo Power CD. They must be planning something...

Good news, at least, is that the CD sounds good, has good selections, and most importantly, has a bonus live rendition of the Main Theme, probably the one from the 30th concert.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
Aaaand the Story Trailer music is not included in this CD. Really sucks because it's the music I wanted the most. I don't know why Nintendo hasn't included it? Even the Trailer Music of Twilight Princess was in the Sound Selection CD. Even in the Nintendo Power CD. They must be planning something...

Good news, at least, is that the CD sounds good, has good selections, and most importantly, has a bonus live rendition of the Main Theme, probably the one from the 30th concert.
Shame about the trailer music not being in. Hopefully they are planning a full soundtrack release.

I was hoping the reason why they left out the Zelda 30th Anniversary Concert rendition of Breath of the Wild's Main Theme was because they would be including it on this album. It sounds like this may well be the case after all.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:45 AM

I do hope they plan to release the Trailer Music somewhere else because I really need it, it was such a wonderful piece..
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:30 AM

I do hope a complete soundtrack of this is released one day.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:09 AM

Nintendo and complete soundtrack release don't go well together, sadly. By that logic I too hope a complete soundtrack of Star Fox Assault is released one day.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
Nintendo and complete soundtrack release don't go well together, sadly. By that logic I too hope a complete soundtrack of Star Fox Assault is released one day.
That would be fantastic if that day ever happened.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Staff

There's still hope that Symphony No.5 will release a complete soundtrack album.

The soundtracks for Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight Princess HD came out 5-10 months after the games were released. So let's wait a few months and see what happens.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 07:43 PM

It looks like most of this music is Yasuaki Iwata's work since Kataoka mostly did the main theme, but I could be wrong.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
It looks like most of this music is Yasuaki Iwata's work since Kataoka mostly did the main theme, but I could be wrong.
I don't entirely agree; while I don't really know too much about Iwata, there are quite a few of the ambient and outdoors themes that I associate with Kataoka (specially those chaotic battle themes).

Then again we can only speculate for now. If we are lucky maybe Nintendo will at least publish staff interviews with the sound crew.

Maybe I should also point out that while Yasuaki Iwata composed for a couple of relative recent Wii U titles (Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8), Manaka hasn't done anything since 2012 with Animal Crossing New Leaf (other than a couple of arrangements in Smash). Given how long has been Breath of the Wild in development, such a long inactivity could be explained if she was heavily involved with the music of this game.

Last edited by RBM95; Mar 3, 2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 08:07 AM

FWIW, the European edition had the following info embedded in CD-Text:
Manaka Kataoka: 01-03, 05-07, 09, 10, 24
Yasuaki Iwata: 04, 08, 12, 13, 16-23
Hajime Wakai: 11, 14, 15

I'm assuming these are all supposed to be composer credits, and Hajime Wakai is only credited because he's the original composer of those tunes.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSatyr View Post
FWIW, the European edition had the following info embedded in CD-Text:
Manaka Kataoka: 01-03, 05-07, 09, 10, 24
Yasuaki Iwata: 04, 08, 12, 13, 16-23
Hajime Wakai: 11, 14, 15

I'm assuming these are all supposed to be composer credits, and Hajime Wakai is only credited because he's the original composer of those tunes.
Wow. Nintendo seems pretty temperamental when it comes to crediting or not crediting as of lately, huh. Either way this is good news!

As for the Wakai tunes, those are actually completely new music. The Rito Village uses part of Kenta Nagata's Dragon Roost Island and he doesn't appear credited here, and same goes for Koji Kondo's Zora's Domain, so this is rather the list of musicians that worked on each track. This shows that Wakai did actually compose some music after all, even though he appears as "Sound Director".

Last edited by RBM95; Mar 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Do those credits sound reasonable? I don't really know anything about Kataoka, and I'm far from an expert on Wakai too. (I kinda thought Hinox Battle was Kataoka's, it reminded me a little of Stagnox Battle from Spirit Tracks and she was the only one who worked on that game too.)

I'm mostly asking because there's been a case where the overseas package CD had embedded composer data that might be questionable. I'm very interested in if the JP version has the same credits.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:25 AM

Well, I don't really know what the deal with that Tales game was, but given how this is a worldwide release it wouldn't make any kind of sense to change the artists from region to region. I'm trusting those credits are legit.

(Also Stagnox sounds like Minegishi to me tbh)
Old Mar 4, 2017, 01:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I do think the breakdown is probably fine; there's definitely a difference between credits being provided for a soundtrack no one's heard before and one for a game whose music originally came out ten years ago that maybe someone found a guess breakdown on a wiki for when packaging. It's just that credits aren't usually provided this way, especially in this region, so I wanted to be careful with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Twilight Princess disc had CD-Text credits too

Last edited by CHz; Mar 4, 2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:11 AM

Why the low ratings? I mean I know this album is incomplete, but the music is by no means bad.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 05:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Why the low ratings? I mean I know this album is incomplete, but the music is by no means bad.
That's your opinion. Others might think different. And no, I haven't rated this album.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Incompleteness is definitely grounds for a low rating, I feel. (I don't have this album and thus didn't rate it)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:56 AM

I think one of the reasons behind the low rating is, that fans were expecting something different. This is not the type of music they're used to from a Zelda game - it's more ambient, minimalistic. Basically, it's like Final Fantasy XV, which also got a quite low rating, because for it's new approach of musical direction.

Personally, I haven't listened to it completely, but from what I've heard, I think the music is excellent. The game got a complety new directon, away from traditional stuff (and it got praised by critics!), and so does the music.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 03:00 AM

I haven't been terribly impressed by what I've heard in the game (when there's music at all). The battle themes are especially annoying.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 09:27 AM

Wakai appears on a couple of documentaries with some tidbits about the game's audio. They even show some of the performers recording in the studio.