VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:13 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The performer got changed from Ohira Sato to Taihei Sato. Is this the same as this Taihei Sato?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Looks like it. Apart from the kanji matching, he's linked with SEGA on the album, and according to his discography he's worked on a few Sega titles.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Shouldn't this be renamed as Gallian Chronicles Original Soundtrack (as taken from the spine) or Senjou no Valkyria (or the translations Battlefield Valkyria / Valkyria of the Battlefield which ever sounds better), because nowhere on the album there's anything about the words Valkyria Chronicles.

Unless you can get Chronicles off from Senjou.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Since Valkyria Chronicles is the official localized title it should at least be an alternate title. That would make it consistent with our other titles like Akumajo Dracula, Gyakuten Saiban and Sekaiju no MeiQ.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:38 AM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles as alternative title would be a must, so people would still find the album.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

On a related note, the anime did end up being "Valkyria Chronicles".
Old Oct 3, 2009, 03:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't really like "Gallian Chronicles" on its own. The best would be "Senjo no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles Original Soundtrack", or maybe Senjo no Valkyria translated literally. The game was very rarely referred to as "Gallian Chronicles".
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Yeah, which probably just tells that they decided to drop that Gallian part from the name between the game and anime, wouldn't suprise me if future VC 2 ost is just Valkyria Chronicles 2 Original Soundtrack in english and Senjou no Valkyria Original Soundtrack in japanese.

Or just decided to make some difference between the game and anime soundtracks, as in game has Gallian Chronicles in english and anime has Valkyria Chronicles in english at cover (oddly both spines are in japanese on anime soundtrack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I don't really like "Gallian Chronicles" on its own. The best would be "Senjo no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles Original Soundtrack", or maybe Senjo no Valkyria translated literally. The game was very rarely referred to as "Gallian Chronicles".
Well, this still has Senjou no Valkyria and Valkyria Chronicles as alternative titles, and naming this as Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles Original Soundtrack would be bit odd imo, kinda like taking from both side.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 02:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Well, this still has Senjou no Valkyria and Valkyria Chronicles as alternative titles, and naming this as Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles Original Soundtrack would be bit odd imo, kinda like taking from both side.
But the Japanese name of the game is Senjo no Valkyria, with Gallian Chronicles as its subtitle.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:42 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Title-subtitle format would be something like:

Senjou no Valkyria -Gallian Chronicles- Original Soundtrack
戦場のヴァルキュリア -Gallian Chronicles- オリジナルサウンドトラック

Looks natural to me.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We had a similar discussion a long time ago, and the determination was that the English spine text did not constitute an official title. It is often the case that they just don't have enough room to put a complete title on there. I cited as an example a classical CD that I have that says Beethoven Sonatas - Horowitz. This is an incomplete title, and as an identifier for the album is pretty useless. The complete title on the front tells which Sonatas.

So, I like the suggestion that Blah gives above.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Title-subtitle format would be something like:

Senjou no Valkyria -Gallian Chronicles- Original Soundtrack
戦場のヴァルキュリア -Gallian Chronicles- オリジナルサウンドトラック

Looks natural to me.
I would definitely go for it. Otherwise, it would be as if you called MGS3 "Snake Eater" without any reference to Metal Gear Solid.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:53 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
We had a similar discussion a long time ago, and the determination was that the English spine text did not constitute an official title. It is often the case that they just don't have enough room to put a complete title on there. I cited as an example a classical CD that I have that says Beethoven Sonatas - Horowitz. This is an incomplete title, and as an identifier for the album is pretty useless. The complete title on the front tells which Sonatas.
Well, classical music tends to have bit longer titles, but has there been many cases where english text on spines hasn't been complete enough on VGM albums? Atleast I can't remember anything off from my collection.

I would still myself go with just Gallian Chronicles but if majority thinks otherwise then I can't do much anything than abide that. :P
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The example where it came up was some Konami album that Seanne was adding back in the pre-VGMdb days, but I don't remember which one it was.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Speaking of the anime soundtrack, isn't 'TV anime' redundant? I know it's particularly useful for distinguishing that from the game soundtrack, but the official title seems to be without it.

Edit: ah, never mind. The front cover says so.

Last edited by Cedille; Oct 12, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:09 AM

I don't know who the person is who translated the Japanese track names into English but I have to complain about a little bit at the current state.

The first point is the word "Randgrith" which doesn't exist in the game as the official transliteration is "Randgriz" (which can also be seen within the album case on the map) so I would suggest to change this at least even my next point is completely nonsense which is...

The names for the tracks 17 and 20. I haven't played the game yet as I don't own a PS3 so I can't tell anything about the context but I think that "The Gallian War" and "War in the Empire" don't cover the meaning one specific kanji has: 軍. "Gun" means "army", "troop" or anything you can build with the word "war" like "war gear" but is not the war itself. In other words "ガリア軍" (Gallia Gun) respectively "帝国軍" (Teikoku Gun) means to my understanding "The Gallian Army" and "The Imperial Army" and would vote for to change it. A fact to support my thesis is the point that there's no war within the empire except the political one around Maximilian.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I agree, so I changed it.
But as for names, remember translation are usually added before the release, so it's not always possible to know the official transliterations.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:29 AM

I also happened to check this album and thought several more tracks needed tweaking.

1-10: "Battle" is missing.
1-11: Just wrong. It has to be "Our Barracks".
2-01: "よぎる" was untranslated, if not absolutely necessary. I'd go with "Crossing Anxiety".
1-09, 2-20: I've not played the game either, but isn't "Squad 7" more official than "the 7th Platoon"?

Btw, the translations of the second, third and anime albums were mostly done by me, so there can be some questionable parts here and there. If anybody could check it, much appreciated.

Last edited by Cedille; Jan 24, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:42 AM

The US folks at Sega use the term "Squad 7" on their website (http://www.sega.com/valkyria/us/characters.html) but I don't know what the term ingame is.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Squad 7 in game as well. It's been ages since I've played it though.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:08 PM

Squad 7.

Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:09 AM

Alrighty. I replaced the "7th platoon" parts with "Squad 7".
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post

2-01: "よぎる" was untranslated, if not absolutely necessary. I'd go with "Crossing Anxiety".

it's 2-09 and my personal translation for it was Twinge of Sorrow (I think I'd submitted it to gmr)
Old May 24, 2011, 05:49 PM

"...Disc 2 track 26 is the piano solo for Rosie's song..."

ahah I hadn't noticed that one
Old Sep 9, 2013, 04:24 PM

Years ago I did a prog-rockish arrangement of a couple tunes from Valkyria Chronicles. I never actually shared it here in the community. I had submitted it to OCR once upon a time but it didn't get accepted. That said, I'm happy with how it turned out and would like to give it some air some with VC and Sakimoto fans.

https://soundcloud.com/js-music/valk...he-battlefield
Old Oct 4, 2013, 02:49 AM

Does anyone else think 1-24 sounds strangely unlike Sakimoto? Everything from the basic theme to the way it progresses seems totally out of character for him. Could be that he just had an off-day, but I can't help wondering if this was the work of someone else at Basiscape. I do still like the track, incidentally.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:29 AM

The way the titles are done simply makes no sense. Claiming a possible Roman-based title is "invalid" because "they didn't have enough room" is complete guessing and faulty logic. As always, the important thing is that it's what's printed, and that related works are generally irrelevant. Concerning this Konami album, if we're really about prioritizing English titles simply because they're English, you use that "truncated" title anyway.

Here "GALLIAN CHRONICLES" is printed as a reading of "戦場のヴァルキュリア", whether or not it is meant to be a subtitle (from what I understand it's actually the same thing as "ガリア王立士官学校" and "UNRECORDED CHRONICLES"). I seriously doubt they "ran out of space" when they thought it was a good idea to treat "GALLIAN CHRONICLES" with the same status as "戦場のヴァルキュリア". For the purposes of this album, the choice is obvious.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:39 AM
Trusted Editor

Retitled the entry again, to fit the current? style of album names. Enjoy or hate.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

how exactly is a *katakana* word "Valkyria" (ヴァルキュリア) read out as "Gallian Chronicles"? How exactly is it that you're discerning that the print here is offering Gallian Chronicles as a *reading* of the Japanese title, and not as a subtitle?

Also Despatche, Senjou no Valkyria is SEGA, not Konami.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 PM

it's a fact, gallian chronicles ost is written on the side of the back cover
anything can be argued, that will never change that

afterwards, you can wonder why gallian chronicles is written below the jap title on front cover
my opinion is that they weren't maybe satisfied with a plain english translation for the jap title and they probably wanted something original but close to the valkyrian mythology
what's better than "gallian chronicles" to summarize the whole thing