VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:16 AM

Default Filling the KOEI KCS Holes - 001 thru 026

Hi guys! I'm a regular over at The Yoko Kanno Database forum and for the past three years or so I've been hunting down Yoko Kanno's early stuff and documenting it. A good deal of it is Koei VGM and that brought me here.

As we all know the KCS versions of the Koei soundtracks are identical versions of their KECH couterparts. They came with a special pre-order edition of the game itself according to Game Music Revolution. http://gmronline.vgmdb.net/info.php?CatNumber=KCS-026

After I accounted for all of the Yoko Kanno KCS's I got curious and wondered about the other KCS's. Koei catalogues chronologically for the most part so it was safe to assume that KCS-007, for example, came after KCS-003. But what was in between?

So I came here and found that you guys were trying to figure that out, too, because your KCS catalogue also has holes. So I took what I know, what you know, and whatever I could find on the internet and produced this list.

LIST BELOW

Last edited by Ed in the Desert; Feb 7, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've wanted to do this for a while, but I only added the ones that I confirmed with a scan from YJA. I'll be happy to add some of these other ones that you've confirmed (especially if you've got a scan or pic available).

The unconfirmed ones will have to remain a mystery until they are sighted. Luckily, it seems like the Yoko Kanno collectors have been actively seeking some of these for a while.

I think that one that our entries lack is the info about which games these were distributed with. That's something that you could really help with.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Good job! I did a quick Google search of the albums that aren't in the database, but it's really hard to find more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I've wanted to do this for a while, but I only added the ones that I confirmed with a scan from YJA. I'll be happy to add some of these other ones that you've confirmed (especially if you've got a scan or pic available).
Lately I have also preferred add obscure albums only if the front cover is available.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:23 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Interesting post.

I checked my YJA pictures.. and here are the very few i can add my contribution.

L'empereur - KCS-008
my most interesting find

Uncharted Waters 2 - KCS-019
it's small but visible on the front cover

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sengoku Gunyuuden - KCS-001
we already have that entry but my pics are completely differents, could the actual pictures be a sort of slipcase or something..?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms Heroic Legend - KCS-025
i can't be 100% sure since there's no visible catalog number, but the back cover is different from KECH-1062's back..

To be honest, i never paid lot lot of attention to these KCS catalogs.. but i am pretty sure i encountered a lot on YJA without saving the pics..

Last edited by Myrkul; Feb 5, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:47 PM

Awesome! We now have confirmed sightings of KCS 008 and 019 and I was nailed one and was close to the other! I've changed the list to reflect Myrkul's evidence.

Myrkul, I do the exact same thing at YJA. I have a file full of YJA "sightings" although they are all Yoko Kanno sightings. I'm almost done with YK hunting and now I need a new hunt. Guess I'll do KCS's until that's conquered.

@Squirrel - I'm afraid I don't follow what you mean by "which games they were distributed with". They were distributed with their respective game....right?......the game for which they provide the music? Isn't that what it says at the bottom of this page?
http://gmronline.vgmdb.net/info.php?CatNumber=KCS-026

Here is KCS-007, Uncharted Waters.

http://img33.imageshack.us/i/rasis25...x45011954.jpg/

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/rasis2...x45011954.jpg/

http://img526.imageshack.us/i/rasis2...x45011954.jpg/

You can just make out the number on the disc.

I have KCS-010 and the packaging is identical. It is a stiff cardboard case with one opening on the left that the cd slips into. There is a four-square fold out and the cd comes in a soft mesh-like protective glove.

I, too, have a KCS-001 sighting that looks exactly like yours and it is clearly a CD.

http://img215.imageshack.us/i/azoolo...x45012370.jpg/

See how it has the cardboard case?

I think that KCS-001 also had an alterante release and that's what this other guy is:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...6&d=1259340992
http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...7&d=1259341001
http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...8&d=1259341037

I can't get the three pics above to show up but they are Myrkul's "pale, black-back" KCS-001 pics from the "Obscure" thread.

Sooooo two different confirmed versions of KCS-001. Interesting.

Wait a second. i think that the paler slip case with the black back is an "inner" case that slips into the outer case, the one with the red glove on its back. Notice how in my picture of the "brighter" case you can see that it is thicker than a normal cardboard slipcase for a cd? That has to be it.

Last edited by Ed in the Desert; Feb 5, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, for KCS-001 I was thinking that the brown case was a kind of cardboard jacket that contained the booklet and the disc. The other images are from the booklet. EDIT -- Or maybe not a booklet, since it looks more like another case in your other scan.

I assumed some of the games had multiple releases on different platforms, and that certain platforms contained the album. I really don't know though, and it sounds like you know some people who may have actually picked up the full game and contents from YJA.

EDIT - Also, I asked Crash if he can scan his copy of KCS-022.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:03 PM

Sadly I don't know anyone that has a full game with complete packaged contents and I wish I knew which platforms had the KCS releases. All I know I got from that link at gmronline.

Yeah, for KCS-001 this is how it is : The "black-back" case goes inside of the "glove-back" case. I'd post pictures but I can't get them to work.

Questions:

1. Where did you get the release date for KCS-003 as it is listed in the DB? It is five days earlier than its KECH counterpart. All of the KCS cases and cds that I've ever seen only have a release year on them.

2. Why do you have KCS-025's release date as being in 2003? Shouldn't it be sometime in 1995?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

1. April 20 was the release date for Genghis Khan on the NES (according to GameFAQs). In retrospect, I don't know for sure that this was packed with the NES game, so it might not be correct.

2. That's definitely an error from some other source. I'll fix that.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:07 PM

KCS LIST

KCS-001 – Nobunaga’s Ambition – Sengoku Gunyuuden(confirmed sighting, pics available, two slip cases: "black-back" and "glove-back"."Black" possibly goes inside of "Glove")

KCS-002 -- Suikoden Tenmei no chikai - the Divine Oath-Bandit Kings of Ancient China (Secret Squirrel confirmed, pics available? )

KCS-003 -- Genghis Khan - Blue Wolf, White Doe (confirmed sighting, pics available)

KCS-004 – Storm of the Meiji Restoration ? (fits chronologically,no confirmed sightings)

KCS-005 – Pacific Theater of Operations (no confirmed sights but internet doumentation here http://gsr.jp/analogue/data/pickup/NEW_20061026_1.htm)

KCS-006 -- Sangokushi 2 (Secret Squirrel confirmed,pics available?)

KCS-007 -- Uncharted Waters (confirmed sighting, pics available)

KCS-008 – L’Empereur (confirmed sighting, pics available. 7-25-90 is the KECH release date)

KCS-009Perhaps Koei BGM Vol. 4 ? (It fits chronologically...no confirmed sightings. KECH release date is 9-25-1990)

KCS-010 – Nobunaga’s Ambition – Bushoufuunroku (I personally own this one. Kech release date is 10-25-1990)

KCS-011 -- Inindo - the Way of the Ninja (confirmed sightings,pics available,I know the owner, 6-25-91 is the KECH release date)

KCS-012 – Royal Blood ? (fits chronologically,8-25-91 is the KECH release date)

KCS-013 – Operation Europe ? (fits chronologically, 10-25-91 is the KECH release date)

KCS-014 -- Sangokushi 3 (confirmed sighting, pics available,12-21-91 is the KECH release date. 1992 is the KCS release date)

KCS-015 – Taikou Risshiden ?](fits chronologically, no confirmed sightings,3-25-92 is the KECH release date)

KCS-016 – The Gate of Souls~From Dante’s Divine Comedy (confirmed sighting, pics available, 12-21-92 is the KECH release date. 1992 is the KCS release date)

KCS-017 – The Blue Wolf and the White Doe: The Secret History of the Mongols (confirmed sighting, pics available, 7-25-92 is the KECH release date)

KCS-018 -- Nobunaga's Ambition – Haouden-Legend of the Supreme King (numerous confirmed sightings,pics available.)

KCS-019 – Uncharted Waters 2 (Confirmed sighting,pics availabe, 2-25-93 is the KECH release date)

KCS-020 – ??? The problem with these two holes is that there don't seem to be enough stand-alone games released between 2-25-93 and 4-25-93

KCS-021 – ??? The problem with these two holes is that there don't seem to be enough stand-alone games released between 2-25-93 and 4-25-93

KCS-022 -- Sangokushi Ultimate Sound (Confirmed sighting, pics available, this KCS actually has a release date printed on it: 4-25-93)

KCS-023 – Pacific Theater of Operations 2 ? (fits chronologically, no confirmed sightings, 12-22-93 is the KECH release date)

KCS-024 -- Sangokushi 4 (confirmed sightings, pics available,2-25-94 is the KECH release date)

KCS-025 -- Sangokushi Eiketsuden-Heroic Legend (possible confirmed sighting, pics available of a Heroic Legand whose back is different from the KECH back though no catalogue number is written there, 2-25-95 is the KECH release date, fits chronologically)

KCS-026 -- Nobunaga's Ambition - Tenshouki-Chronicle of Heaven (numerous sightings, very common, lots of pics available.)

Last edited by Myrkul; Aug 10, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks for contributing your information Ed.
Hunting rarities is all part of the fun =)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:41 PM

Yeah for sure! I love the hunt. I call YJA "the wild" lol....
I think I'll work on the Koei KCS and cassette gaps. We're still missing some pics of the cassettes.

I still want to solve the mystery of this pic:

It shows a cardboard case. The CD also has KCS on it ,on the left, though very blurred, under the "compact disc" logo, the spacing is correct. I think that this is a picture of KCS-001 missing its inner slipcase.

I think the inner slipcase is the one with the black back. This one shown below in these three pics. These pictures clearly show KCS-001 on the back.

http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...6&d=1259340992
http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...7&d=1259341001
http://vgmdb.net/forums/attachment.p...8&d=1259341037

Mykrul's pics of KCS-001 here........

.........would therefore be the front and back of this outer case.

Last edited by Ed in the Desert; Feb 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 06:02 AM

Here's a link to the complete scans of the Ghengis Khan casette 26CE-1002:

http://picasaweb.google.com/YokoKann...sKhanCassette#

My friend Kevin owns this one and he did these scans. He also has two other cassettes: 26CE-1005(Nobunaga no Yabou: Zenkokuban / Sangokushi) and 24CE-1007(Koei BGM, Vol.1)

I'll see if he will scan those other two cassettes.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 06:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thank you for those scans. What is that case we currently have as the default image? I notice it says soundware, so I wonder if it's yet another version that was included in something else.

Also, now I'm wondering if there are 2 versions of KCS-001. Have we seen a picture that contains both sleeves?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Crash has uploaded scans for KCS-022, so it's totally confirmed.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you for those scans. What is that case we currently have as the default image? I notice it says soundware, so I wonder if it's yet another version that was included in something else.

Also, now I'm wondering if there are 2 versions of KCS-001. Have we seen a picture that contains both sleeves?
See, yes, exactly! That is the only other possibility. There might be more than one KCS-001 release. We clearly have two different cases that both say "KCS-001.

Either one goes in the other or we have two different releases which would make sense if perhaps there were two or more different platforms and they decided to have different packaging for the same product.

I updated the list to reflect KCS-022.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am still curious about these KCS albums..

Are we sure they comes with games? (special version of course i can understand that)

Can any one provide a photo of one "full package"? (game+disc/case) ?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I am still curious about these KCS albums..

Are we sure they comes with games? (special version of course i can understand that)

Can any one provide a photo of one "full package"? (game+disc/case) ?
That might prove tricky to get such a pic. This is where I got that information about KCS albums:

http://gmronline.vgmdb.net/info.php?CatNumber=KCS-026

KCS-022 makes me question the accuracy of this because it isn't the soundtrack to a stand-alone game, its a compilation. Its possible that it came packaged with a different game or one of the Sangokuchi games along with another KCS but I dunno.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess it's hard to know for sure, since the KCS-0xx albums came out such a long time ago. There is some modern evidence that Koei uses the KCS series for specialized releases:

KCS-1xxx : Event releases (mostly Neoromance conventions)
KCS-3xxx : Game enclosures
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in the Desert View Post
KCS-017 – The Blue Wolf and the White Doe: The Secret History of the Mongols ? (fits chronologically, no confirmed sightings,7-25-92 is the KECH release date)
Hey, Ed. I don't know if you're still around, but this one is sighted on YJA, confirmed, and added. Note, it's 17 not 16.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:03 AM
Trusted Editor

Just stumbled across KCS-016 on YAJ.

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d105010372
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Excellent find. Soon we'll have these all catalogued.

I've been having trouble searching on YJA, since they recently took away the ability to search the body of the auction pages -- it's just a title search now. Of course, maybe that capability is still there; I don't know enough Japanese to tell if they've moved it somewhere.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

Nice find, only a handful left now. I updated the list post since Ed hasn't been around in a while.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 07:44 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I've been having trouble searching on YJA, since they recently took away the ability to search the body of the auction pages -- it's just a title search now. Of course, maybe that capability is still there; I don't know enough Japanese to tell if they've moved it somewhere.
Thanks for the hint, didn't even notice it was disabled. You can find the option to search the description+title after you've done a search where the red arrow is in the picture. Have phun (^_^)/

Last edited by suicider; Aug 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Thanks for the hint, didn't even notice it was disabled. You can find the option to search the description+title after you've done a search where the red arrow is in the picture. Have phun (^_^)/
Awesome. Thanks for the instructions. I don't know why I didn't notice that. Now I can get back to doing my daily search for "KCS".
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
Trusted Editor

Don't know if this is relevant, but there's KCS-002 for auction right now. The list says 'pics available?', so I thought this might be helpful, though not the best quality.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k136628894
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:27 PM
Trusted Editor

And 'Operation Europe' confirmed as KCS-013. I know it's very hard to read, but it says KCS-013 in the lower right of the second picture. Link to the auction on YJA.

Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:15 AM
Trusted Editor

In case anyone's still interested in this thread there's KCS-005 on Yahoo right now. So this one's confirmed now too.
http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/s484003420

Old Feb 4, 2017, 04:25 PM

I doubt there was ever a sountrack CD released for them, but does anyone know who composed Famicom Top Management and Mahjong Taikai?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 09:54 AM

We now have 24 of the 26 albums cataloged The only two missing are KCS-009 and KCS-023.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:36 AM

Okay, I filled in KCS-009 as Keys of the City. A seller on amazon.co.jp was selling a "Keys of the City" album described as KCS-009 in the descrption (I bought the album, so the sale is gone). But that's pretty confirmatory.

As for the last one, KCS-023, I still have no idea. My official guess is that KCS-023 was supposed to be for Northern Verse, which was cancelled:

https://vgmdb.net/album/14356

and that the album was thus never printed at all.