VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:08 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Do you really got the agreements from all the composers to distribute this ?
(ex from Yoko Shimomura for SF2, and Satoe Terashima for Bloody Tears ?)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:26 PM

Bloody Tears is by Kenichi Matsubara.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:51 PM

This guy... is amazing. I've known about him via Youtube for some time now, and some of his arrangements are ridiculous, particularly Balamb Garden and Gerudo Valley (the latter largely for the clapping ability, which is enhanced by being able to see him do it in the video). That he's getting a digital album release makes my heart sing, because I've had quite some fun listening to his arrangements and think he should get some recognition for them.

With iTunes doing the release, it seems legitimate, but maybe I don't know much about how iTunes decides to release stuff. I'm not sure why you'd need somebody's permission to do an arrangement though... there are about a billion fan remix albums of game music, and not all of them are free, correct? I don't quite know how it all works though, so I can't really comment.

But seriously, this guy is so worth checking out.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
With iTunes doing the release, it seems legitimate, but maybe I don't know much about how iTunes decides to release stuff. I'm not sure why you'd need somebody's permission to do an arrangement though... there are about a billion fan remix albums of game music, and not all of them are free, correct? I don't quite know how it all works though, so I can't really comment.
I am not arguing about the "permission" to arrange stuff.
So far they (Joypad Records) told us they always asked the original composers before making arrangements...

I am just really curious to know if they get 100% feedback from the composers from this album. I am way curious to know how they get in touch with them so easily and get positives answers ?
Makes me wondering why not everyone could do the same to get rid of the doujin classification then.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 AM

... I must be the only guy that doesn't like his stuff.

I mean, he can sing fine, but his Youtube songs, at least, have this echoey thing that just doesn't sit well with me. Of course if I mention it there I'll just get flamed, at least here I can complain a bit and not have 7 million youtubers neg me and my vids.

Last edited by Foxhack; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I am not arguing about the "permission" to arrange stuff.
So far they (Joypad Records) told us they always asked the original composers before making arrangements...

I am just really curious to know if they get 100% feedback from the composers from this album. I am way curious to know how they get in touch with them so easily and get positives answers ?
Makes me wondering why not everyone could do the same to get rid of the doujin classification then.
Many companies don't care (or turn a blind eye) to doujin/bootlet releases. We're working on legitimizing gamemusic arrangements and allowing artists to distribute remixes legally. That way, everyone gets their share, and remixers don't have to worry about cease/desists.

We're working directly with the studios and copyright holders of the compositions to clear everything. Happy to explain everything in more detail if needed. Thanks!

Cedille - thanks! We'll fix it across our systems.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Trusted Editor

@Foxhack: While some of his arrangement are certainly very nice and well executed (the Spark Mandrill one is particularly good), I just can't continuously listen to this kind of a capella style. After some minutes it just get's on my nerves and I just keep hearing bababababaBAbababaBAba. If you want to torture me, then this is the way to go... *g*
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:46 AM

I saw this chap's videos not long ago, really great even if it has a kind of novelty value that may wear off, I don't know, but I liked it. really loved his zelda file select in particular. he was near the top of the Bandcamp charts at the same time as us Ubiktuners (with Noisechan.)

as for whether he got permission... there seems to be a sort of nod-and-a-wink culture around releasing game remix albums for profit.