VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

A recent edit removed this line from the notes:
Quote:
105 - "Shoot Speed" samples "Lock & Load" from Front Mission 4 by Hidenori Iwasaki
Did this turn out not to be true? If it's true, I think it's useful information to remain in the notes.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:22 AM

I like Lock & Load and I for one, can hear the similarities. Shoot Speed is basically the first 15 seconds or so of Lock & Load on repeat, with slightly different instrumentation.

Whether it's intentionally referencing FM4's Lock & Load or just a coincidence, I don't know.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So this could be a case of something that just sounds like Lock & Load or is imitating the style, instead of an explicit uncredited arrangement of it.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

There's also the chance of both songs using some type of stock music library, which is not unheard of in VGM ("causing much mayhem, dropping drama", etc.).
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
There's also the chance of both songs using some type of stock music library, which is not unheard of in VGM ("causing much mayhem, dropping drama", etc.).
Next goal of VGMdb, to list all tracks with those samples!

But yeah, Kaleb.G is probably right, isn't usual that people use stock music libraries.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:15 AM

It was me who submitted that removed line. I own a copy of both games and both osts, and it doesn't just sound like or imitates its style. It's definitely the same sample.
What i don't know for sure is where that sample comes from.

But that new line that replaced mine is not safe either without source or evidence: "Contrary to what some believe, "Shoot Speed" does not sample music from Front Mission 4 OST; Takada and Iwasaki merely used the same sample from a sample library for the two tracks that sound alike. Iwasaki did not compose for killer7.
"

In response to Kaleb.G's argument, i don't think Takada or Iwasaki copy & paste premade 4-second stock loops from libraries, it'd be like scoring in GarageBand from Apple Loops...

Last edited by DanteLectro; Jul 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't think it's clear either way, so I put a reworded explanation back into the notes.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I don't think it's clear either way, so I put a reworded explanation back into the notes.
You're obfuscating things a bit , but i've cleared it up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:32 AM

I for one think such an "original research" would be best placed in a personal review or a discussion thread (like this or that). Not that I object, as it's an anecdote that can interest some, but I don't think it's one of the common stuff we add to the album page, either, and I guess that's why the description is still revised and discussed here.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I for one think such an "original research" would be best placed in a personal review or a discussion thread (like this or that). Not that I object, as it's an anecdote that can interest some, but I don't think it's one of the common stuff we add to the album page, either, and I guess that's why the description is still revised and discussed here.
Yes. It turned out to be unprovable, that's why i removed it two edits ago, but Secret Squirrel put it back.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:58 AM

Just a quick note that an English tracklist of Disc1 has a Japanese character in it, and it looks like usually this is enough for the whole tracklist to be classified as Japanese.
Seen multiple examples of it before in the database.

On that note, I remember in the past there was an idea to use a word "Original" rather than trying to fit a tracklist into a certain language category. Seems like a reasonable thing to do since tracklists potentially can have more then one language represented - in which case, what are we suppose to do?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:10 PM

I agree on original, then when translating or transliterating the language can be named.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The idea we had floating around sometime back was a flag where you could mark one of the tracklists as the original. I think the challenge now would be how to apply it to the 34000 albums in the database now without doing it manually. The only sensible approach is probably to mark every Japanese/Korean/Russian track as "Original", while keeping the language in the title.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:36 PM

Do the tracklists have a creation timestamp? If so apply the "original" tag to the oldest one of each album. The cases where the original tracklist was added later than translations should be rather few I'd think.