VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Appearance of browsing scans

So I was browsing through some scans from an album (through the small "slider" after you've clicked on the name of a scan), and thought that it was a bit slow to get to whatever scan I was actually looking for. So I had to scroll for about 10 seconds to get to the scan I was looking for. Anyways, I was figuring maybe you could add all those direct links to the scans like you do on the album page, into the page where the "scan browser" is. Or maybe you could add a small little option box in your profile where you can choose to browse through scans with the browser or just through direct links.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a "gallery" tab on the album page. Rest assured there aren't many albums where you have to scroll for 10 seconds.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't think you got what I meant.

Go to, for example, Final Fantasy Finest Box (by the way, with this one it does take about 10 seconds to get from the first scan to the last), and click on a scan's name in the list to the right. That'll bring you to a "scan slider" where one part consists of a rectangular area where you can scroll to get to another "chapter" of scans and one part of the page contains the actual scan. Now, what I was wondering, is if you could replace that rectangular area, where you can scroll to get to another set of images, with a list with links (like it's listed on the album page), in some smart way that doesn't make the spacing between the scan and links too big (maybe you could put the links on one side of the scans).

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 13, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That'll reduce the horizontal page area for the scans. The reason I used a carousel instead of a list of links is for compactness. Vertical listing will push the image down or right, and some people don't have widescreen monitors for long horizontal listings. Using a dropdown menu will lose the preview thumbnails. And even if you use a DHTML menu with thumbnails, you return to the problem of long vertical listings extending past the page with certain albums.

The scan page never had navigation in the first place. I put it in there for a little bit of convenience so that people wouldn't have to press the back button to skip to a different scan (it was originally going to have only "back" and "forward" links, too).

Considering that you can just right-click on the scan links on the main album page to open them in a new tab or window, I don't think duplicating the scan links on both pages is necessary. If enough people support this idea, however, I'll give the interface some more thought.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

How about adding something (like a link, image, I don't know exactly what (make it look professional, like you've done with the rest of this site)), that reacts the same way the links under "My submissions" (those small sub-buttons under the name of an album) does when you hover over them, that expands into a small box where information is contained -- but instead, you add links.

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 13, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Cover pages have been updated. Now you can click on the name of the cover to toggle a list of all the album thumbnails.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It takes me a while to find the next scan in the thumbnail list for albums with many scans. Any chance you could add an next/previous button? Maybe a simple < / > near the thumbnails. Or alternately highlight the borders or such of the current scan thumb, perhaps?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
It takes me a while to find the next scan in the thumbnail list for albums with many scans. Any chance you could add an next/previous button? Maybe a simple < / > near the thumbnails. Or alternately highlight the borders or such of the current scan thumb, perhaps?
You can also use the arrow-keys on your keyboard to browse through thumbnails.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
You can also use the arrow-keys on your keyboard to browse through thumbnails.
You can... ? Doesn't work for me. I too, still wish that a 'previous'/'next' button was implemented, though.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
You can... ? Doesn't work for me. I too, still wish that a 'previous'/'next' button was implemented, though.
It works when you are browsing from the gallery view, not when you click on the word link.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I was mainly interested in the gallery view though. Them tiny kanjis need some good zoomin' when rechecking stuff.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You can zoom how much you want with the 'link-view', just to say... But as I said, I still want a previous/next button implemented for the link-view specifically.