View Single Post
Old May 21, 2018, 09:25 AM

Thank you everyone for suggestions here and sending me or the label e-mails so far. Please keep them coming!

Now to answer some of the questions and suggestions!
About FF4 repertoires, I think the label’s original wish was to create an artistically-competent album (even to non-gamers), dedicating to a single title which tells the story by music to those who played the game. As I played the game several times myself in both Japanese and English, I can safely say that most of repertoires suggested are very well thought, and part of story-telling. Therefore, if the funding was available, I can safely say the most of them would be included as repertoires.

As of the future possibility goes, I thought that this didn’t have to be “future” in a sense. It doesn't matter whether the game itself is well-known or not. The reason why the company initially picked FF4 was that they thought it might be a good place to start "archiving." If you wished us to do it and the funding was met, we would do it. Some of the suggestions here could actually go to the crowd-funding immediately or after a few weeks since the company has already done homework for possibilities. So, here they are and where they stand.

<These titles can go to the crowd-funding immediately>
Final Fantasy series (except perhaps the newest one)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Vagrant Story
Panzer Dragoon series
Saga Frontier 1, 2

<These titles would be also possible>
ActRaiser
Alien Soldier
Albert Odyssey 1, 2, Gaiden
Alundra 1, 2
Arc the Lad 1, 2
Baten Kaitos 1, 2
Breath of Fire 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Castlevania series (most of them)
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong series (mostly)
Dragon Force 1, 2
Earthboud/Mother series (mostly)
Elfaria 1
Energy Breaker
Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FF Crystal Chronicles
Front Mission series
Golden Axe 1, 2
Grandia
Ihatovo Monogatari
Heracles no Eikou series (mostly)
Kid Icarus
Kirby series (mostly)
Legend of Legaia
Lufia 1, 2
Lunar series
Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
Metroid
Mystic Ark
Odin Sphere
Ogre Battle
Seiken Densetsu (Mana series) 1, 2, 3
Skyes of Arcadia
Shadow Hearts 1, 2, FTNW
Shadow of the Colossus
Shenmnue 1
Soma Bringer
Sonic Adventure 1, 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2
Soul Blazer
Soul Caliber 1, 2. 3, 4,
Star Fox
Star Fox 64
Star Ocean sereies (mostly)
Suiokoden 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Super Mario series (mostly)
Super Metroid
Tales of sereies (mostly)
Tear Ring Saga / Berwick
Tengai Makyo, 1, 2, 3, 0
Terranigma
The Last Story
The Legend of Dragoon
The Legend of Heroes series (mostly)
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Zelda II
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Treasure of the Rudras
Uncharted Waters series (mostly)
Valkyria Chronicles 1, 2, 3
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts 1, 2
Wild Arms 1, 2, 3, 4
Xenogears
Xenosaga 1, 2, 3
Ys series (mostly)
Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

<Titles which might be difficult>
ActRaiser 2
Arcana
FF Dimensions 1, 2
Gokinjo Bouken Tai
Golden Sun
Illusion of Gaia (we are researching right now)
Infinity
Paladin’s Quest 1, 2 (Lennus 1, 2)
Phantom Brave
Shenmnue 2

<Titles which might be a bit difficult at this moment>
Valkyria Chronicles 4
FF (the latest one)
FF Type-0
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

<Need to do homework>
After Burner
Bounty Sword
Daytona USA
Dragon’s Crown
Elemental Gearbolt
Elfaria 2
Fire Emblem series
Hang-On
Nobunaga's Ambition series
OutRun
Phantasy Star series
Power Drift
Rhapsody
Rockman/Megaman
Romance of the Three Kingdoms series
Rogue Squadron 1, 2, 3
Sakura Wars series
SimCity (SNES)
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox Zero
Streets of Rage
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Spyro series
Thunder Blade
Wizardry series

<Possible, but we probably will not plan>
Dragon Quest series

If I miss something, please let me know.
And sorry that I cannot tell you reasons why they stand where they are except the last category...
=====
Some of you asked whether the company would consider "Japanese animation." Now, this is an entirely different category, but technical answer would be "yes," and aesthetically answer would be "but there was so many game titles to be done!"
=====
As for whether we should focus on a single game title for an album or a composer, the company’s original idea was to focus on a title (if it is strongly tied or difficult to do it with a single title, multiple titles could be coupled) and not on a composer. This decision, when it was presented, made sense to me because an original game was created as a result of collective creative efforts, and not by a composer alone. And there are of course, games with multiple composers. For example, there were three composers in Chrono Trigger as we know of, and many other titles might have un-credited composers/writers. As one of the industry insiders, I know this and I am well aware of. So, VGM Classics did not want to step into a realm of internal contractual issues between employer/employee and company/composer etc, because a lot of the time, “a composer” might not be “the composer” nor “the author” of the music as far as the Copyright Act is concerned.
If the original game and all related contents were presented as under copyright of a company, then, we should honor that.
======
As far as the who would be arranging/writing scores/orchestrate etc, I will do everything since that is the one of the conditions which the company got permission.
======
As far as the prospective orchestra/performers goes, we do have several orchestras in mind, but ultimately it depends on the result of crowd-funding. However, our initial plan is to ask classical/concert performing orchestra and performers. We don't plan to use a pick-up orchestra (one-time only orchestra for recording).
=======
As for questions regarding my own compositions/recordings… As for the orchestral ones, I am hoping to release it soon since the recordings has been done already. But there will be other new recording will be done in Jan, and I might wait until that time….

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Jun 18, 2018 at 05:13 AM.