View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
Trusted Editor

In all honesty, why are we arguing about romaji tracklists when they're so very clearly in the minority for anyone who cares about them? If you want to come up with some sort of standard romanization method, that's fine, but only a handful of people actually create romaji tracklists and for all intents and purposes they're basically useless. The majority of people who visit this site want either the original tracklist or the translated tracklist. Romaji serves no logical purpose outside of wanting to know how something is pronounced.

As far as romaji in the display titles potentially becoming the default, I can't see anyone wanting that. It makes no sense whatsoever. No one wants to see "Arubamu" and "Orijinaru" or "Ongaku". That's just assinine for a predominantly English speaking site that provides content and information for English speaking users. I'm all for a preference that says "My default title display is < >", and you can pick one of our 4 current options or Original, Romaji, English or whatever they are, and then have your default be your default display in all things that query an album title. That's probably some work on the HTML side, but it satisfies everyone without having to completely redo the database and it saves the administration from having to say "This is the definitive going forward, anything else is against the rules" which will alienate some user preferences for sure.