View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2013, 07:17 PM

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...gameplay-clips

The music has changed from the original versions, and not in a good way.

The title theme, for example, has been redone, and vocalist Yumiko Takahashi has been entirely replaced (possibly by a generic voice sample, at that).

Though voice overs and sound effects are covering up a lot, much of what I hear doesn't even sound like Kobayashi. The title music and "mission complete" themes are hers, but they are definitely not the original versions. Same with the track heard throughout the first mission: it's based on Kobayashi's original, but it has been substantially watered down, even going so far as to try and replicate unique sound features (like the "whale cry" sound) but turning out a poor imitation. A lot of material was also cut out entirely. Percussion has been changed to more traditional filmy-big-action-drum sounds, and synthesizer instruments have been replaced by strings and brass (and not very artfully).

Something's not right here. It's like they hired someone else for additional (or replacement) music and to arrange the original versions. I was under the impression that Grounding had the game for the duration of Crimson Dragon's delay and subsequent move to the Xbone. It seems highly unlikely that director Yukio Futatsugi would approve a change of composer after Kobayashi delivered a complete score. I can't help but suspect Microsoft meddling in this somehow.

Last edited by Jormungand; Nov 7, 2013 at 07:47 PM.