View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Trusted Editor

From Wikipedia about Market value:
Quote:
Readers should realize that Market Value is not exact science, but an introduced concept from individuals and companies as a business tool. Value is subject to seller and buyer's perception and interpretation of parameters that they decide to take into consideration, while other people usually refer to their very own perceptions and interpretations of what those people think is important. Any whatever article should be explained in this context, because people pay what they want in spite of whatever advice.

Local, regional, national, international? Considering that Market Price is what people agree to pay for something at a given moment at a given place, it is important to underline the importance of the time and place range wherein sellers and buyers meet. The Local and Instant Market Value of a specific item is exactly the same as the Local Market Price. And if several people want the same thing while there is not enough for everybody that wants it, Market Value and Market Price are identical. It is wrong to state that things have any stand-alone value, because value depends upon transactions. No transaction means zero value, whatever value estimation or selling price expectation. When a lot of popular items in a place is almost sold out, sometimes people are willing to pay more than the asking price rather than spend time and effort to get it cheaper elsewhere. Is the paid price then Market Value or Market Price? Both.
And from my perspective as a mathematican basing your market value on just one or two samples is a highly (!) inaccurate statistics. You could also phrase it as this popular joke:
"100% of the women between 20 and 60yrs say I'm handsome. This is the result of a survey between me and my mother."