View Single Post
Old May 26, 2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
She should make a full-length album in this style.
She did. It's called Wild Arms.

Seriously though, you said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Track 1 and 2 could come straight out of Wild Arms game. Tr. 2 even has the characteristic whistling.
My problem with Naruke is that she's very samey, and it's not a samey that I'm crazy about. It's kind of like Yamane and Sakuraba; sometimes, I'm just over what they do. I'm so over the whistling gimmick. It was cool in Wild Arms, when there was like 3 whistling songs in VGM ever. But it spread like a disease, man. Wild Arms mostly achieves mediocrity with me and this CD is no exception. And yes, I have heard this CD, and almost all of Naruke's stuff in Wild Arms (she didn't do WA5, I believe).

This CD, by far, is not bad. It just kind of makes my eyes roll back in my head while I think "okay, Naruke." And then, Naruke is not bad either. I just don't think any of her soundtracks have lasting appeal. The songs don't ever stick with me like... all other VGM does. I dunno.

EDIT: To expand on my thoughts about this CD a little more, I particularly dislike how blatantly Wild Arms it sounds. If Naruke is composing for Wild Arms and she puts whistling in a bunch of songs to fit the Western theme, okay, understandable. She's somewhat confined by what she's writing for, which is the game. Here? Seriously, her own CD is her chance to do something even slightly new. I don't want to hear Wild Arms every time I listen to Naruke just like I don't want to hear Castlevania every time I listen to Yamane, or Star Ocean every time I listen to Sakuraba. But IIRC Sakuraba had an independent album that really surprised me with how non-Star Ocean it was, and that was GREAT (and the music was also good in itself). Naruke doing Wild Arms music all the time is just blah, seriously.

Last edited by Hellacia; May 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM.