View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:15 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I vaguely remember something from years ago but what is the point of us keeping the images that are essentially just auction pictures of the package front + back (sometimes shrink wrapped) when higher quality, individual scans exist for front, back, +inserts +obi? I remember someone saying to not delete them but I don't think it makes sense to keep them when higher quality versions exist, especially when you can't even read or make out metadata on some of them.
I am always deleting small scans / or images from auctions when we got better scans with few exceptions
- Keep small scans if we don't have better quality scans/full set of scans
- Keep auctions case scans if they are contributing to something (ex: because it shows the obi & we don't have that scan, or because the front/obi color is off, or maybe because there's no back cover, etc...)

So.. here's how i do it:

1) Front pictures will always use the best quality available until we get a complete set of scan
2) A good complete set of scans will replace a bad complete set of scans
3a) A good front cover only scan will not replace a mid front cover if the full set have the same (mid) quality
3b) A digital cover will never replace a good/mid front "physical" scan if we have a complete set (unless the quality is extremely low)
3c) Set of scans without watewark will always replace set of scans with huge/annoying watermarks (this is very rare)
4) Final product pictures will replace placeholder/preview/sample pictures (even with low quality)
5) Digital releases will always use the best pictures available

I am also applying the following:
I am not keeping scans if they are completely useless/unreadable (unless the set is complete and we don't have alternatives).
I am not keeping cropped pictures, unless it's informative and readable (credits, etc...)
I am privileging "stitched" scans over single scans (they have to be of better or near equal quality, this is also limited by the size)
I am keeping contents or packaging scans when it's informative

I am used to this and have been handling the queue like this for 10 years, this won't change until i am out.
This apply to GAME music as i am not handling anime scans anymore, i don't know why but anime picture contributers does not care about all of this.