View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
I've always preferred CD releases over anything else. While I agree that I'd prefer a digital release to no release at all, I would still rather see a small print run of CDs instead. I hate being forced to buy audio files.. there's no resale value and you have nothing physical to show for the money you spent. The occasional vinyl is cool too but they should be limited and reserved for special situations only, and obviously releases from the 80s / early 90s are cool. Always meant to pick up some of those early Sega albums on vinyl.
I second what Mike said.

I also put a strong emphasis on high-quality packaging and nice presentation. Good example is the FFXIII Limited Ed. (or SQEX releases in general), where you have this nice and sturdy box, the big booklet showing nice illustrations but also all the music credits.
Also most discs printed in Japan are of high-quality.

A counter-example are some western releases (especially Sumthing Else records) where you don't want to remove the discs from the day, afraid that both disc and tray might break. You know what I mean, this quick and dirty feeling, where everything has to as cheap as it can be.
I also wasn't happy about Dog Ear Records decision to go for lower print quality. The Xenoblade OST is such a nice album, but the discs are thin like paper and the case feels really cheap.